CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coomans View Post
Not according to Dan Bailey: "There's no year round testing on anybody"

Watch from 4:30 for the exact quote. What it comes to is that it is very easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4OZyEXhCyY

WFS
That may be Dan Bailey's experience, but that is not the policy.
Roll the dice and risk receiving a lifetime ban.
No one athlete is bigger than the sport.

Quote:
Selected Types of Drug Testing

Championships Testing

CrossFit Games individual/team championships events, selection of athletes may be based on random selection or position of finish.

Unannounced Random Testing

All registered athletes who have signed the drug-testing consent form are subject to unannounced random testing. This includes at Sectional and Regional events for the CrossFit Games, and/or any other CrossFit sanctioned athletic events. Random selections will be generated electronically, maintaining objective and unbiased athlete selection.

Reasonable Suspicion Screening

An athlete may be subject to testing at any time when CrossFit determines there is individualized reasonable suspicion to believe the participant is using a prohibited substance. Such reasonable suspicion may be based on objective information as determined by CrossFit, and deemed reliable by such. Reasonable suspicion may include, without limitation, 1) observed possession or use of substances appearing to be prohibited drugs, 2) arrest or conviction for a criminal offense related to the possession or transfer of prohibited drugs or substances, or 3) observed abnormal appearance, conduct or behavior reasonably interpretable as being caused by the use of prohibited drugs or substances. If suspected, CrossFit will arrange for a no notice drug test. Note: The possession and/or use of banned substances may be determined by means other than urinalysis. When an individual is found to be in possession and/or using such substances, he/she will be subject to the same procedures that would be followed in the case of a positive urinalysis.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I was listening to a crossfit podcast where they brought Dan Bailey in to talk and it was interesting. One of the first things they talked about was PEDs (because Dan is so big) and he basically told them that it would be easy to cheat. He made it clear that all he knows is he doesn't use them and Rich doesn't use them. He doesn't know about anybody else.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
People who just work out for fun and to look good take them all the time. I don't think it's as expensive as you say. I don't really know though
The people that are doing that though probably aren't getting synthetic or designer stuff though (I'm guessing). The stuff they're getting is what would pop on a **** test. (disclaimer though, just because I watch Big Bang Theory doesn't mean I know a lick about nuclear physics...just like because I watch/follow sports doesn't mean I know a lick about PEDs)
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Policies that are not actually enforced are meaningless. Now I don't know if they are or not but according to Bailey no one gets tested outside the games season so that's some very relevant information.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
I was listening to a crossfit podcast where they brought Dan Bailey in to talk and it was interesting. One of the first things they talked about was PEDs (because Dan is so big) and he basically told them that it would be easy to cheat. He made it clear that all he knows is he doesn't use them and Rich doesn't use them. He doesn't know about anybody else.
Yeah, John, that is the podcast (youtube link) that Paul linked to in his post above.

I agree with you on that's what Dan said.

To all-
Dan is confident neither he, nor Rich, are using. That's great - I'm glad he's confident about that.

He also states that there are not year-round tests, but also failed to mention that there is testing at Regionals. Why didn't he mention that? It could have been a simple oversight, since he's obviously been through it at Regionals, so I don't know how that slipped his mind. Perhaps other things have slipped his mind about this issue too -- I do not know.

I have copied the testing rules above.

User beware.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Lucas King

Profile:

It doesn't actually say they do random out of competition testing in the policy. It says they can do random testing at crossfit sanctioned events or they can test under special circumstances where it is suspected (there is some manner of evidence) the person is using.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas King View Post
It doesn't actually say they do random out of competition testing in the policy. It says they can do random testing at crossfit sanctioned events or they can test under special circumstances where it is suspected (there is some manner of evidence) the person is using.
Right. But that is just semantics. They have the authority to test you whenever they want when you sign the consent form.

It also says this in the Rulebook at page 6 (http://media.crossfit.com/games/pdf/...Book130130.pdf) wfs:

Quote:
Registration, Participation and Qualification for all Athletes requires consent to CrossFit’s Drug Testing Policy. All Athletes are subject to Drug Testing during any point in the season once they have registered to compete, including during the Open. The Drug Testing policy is outlined at
http://games.crossfit.com/drugpolicy
So, I guess a lot of you guys think this is too lax of a standard. Is that right?

What do you propose? In the Open, people pay $20 to participate. Do you know what a standard steroid test costs? About $75. Obviously it doesn't even matter what 98% of the participants in the Open are taking, because they won't be going to Regionals or the Games. That is, unless they win an Open event because a cash prize is up for grabs... then I say, "Test him/her." At Regionals, the people who advance are tested.

Other than that - who really cares? The sport is still very young.

I have no doubt out of competition testing will begin in earnest in the not-too-distant future. As it is now, the reward is not huge (potentially winning $275,00 -- but only if you beat EVERYONE else), and the risk is pretty severe (lifetime ban).

Carry on.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
What do you propose? In the Open, people pay $20 to participate. Do you know what a standard steroid test costs? About $75. Obviously it doesn't even matter what 98% of the participants in the Open are taking, because they won't be going to Regionals or the Games. That is, unless they win an Open event because a cash prize is up for grabs... then I say, "Test him/her." At Regionals, the people who advance are tested.

Other than that - who really cares? The sport is still very young.

I have no doubt out of competition testing will begin in earnest in the not-too-distant future. As it is now, the reward is not huge (potentially winning $275,00 -- but only if you beat EVERYONE else), and the risk is pretty severe (lifetime ban).

Carry on.
And I assume that's only for a urine test right? Blood testing is much more expensive?
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
And I assume that's only for a urine test right? Blood testing is much more expensive?
Plus these guys who are doing multiple workouts a day in preparation for the games don't want to have blood drawn a bunch of times i'm sure.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
Correct. That's the quote I got for urinalysis for USAPL doping control.