CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Justin Toren

Profile:
Pelvic Tilt or "Butt-Wink"

I have been lifting/crossfitting on and off for 2 years now and just realized I suffer from anterior pelvic tilt I believe it's called, or "butt-wink". It's pretty severe even when doing air squats, it seems my pelvis starts to tuck about 6 inches before I hit parallel.

I remember the trainers at my CF-L1 gave me some great cues that rid me of it for a while..but I have since forgotten that great information. I haven't gotten any discomfort from having such a severe pelvic tilt, however my max squat is only in the low 200s.

I've been doing straight leg and bent knee hamstring stretches the past couple of days and it doesnt seem to help my tilt all that much. I'm not sure if I'm entirely convinced it's all hamstring related.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the rambling
Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Ryan G Heeter

Profile:
Re: Pelvic Tilt or "Butt-Wink"

I've have similar problem, maybe not to the degree you have. Have you tried air squats facing a wall? Stand about 8 or so inches off a wall, facing it, with your arms overhead and palms against the wall, then squat keeping your arms straight with your palms against the wall (sliding up and down the wall). You can really feel the stretch in your hips and lower back depending on how tight you are. Adjust the distance from the wall. the closer, the harder it's going to be to get down to parallel.

They'll be weeks were I do all my air squats like that just to work on my mobility.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Pelvic Tilt or "Butt-Wink"

Hit the usual suspects, hip flexors, adductors, and hammies and be patient. Light weight on your shoulders and the paleo man squat test can help (they did for me) just hang out in position and move around to hit those areas that are tight.