CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
Kaleo Aki

Profile:  
Aloha,
I'am mostly a lurker, but couldn't find a decent answer so I thought I would ask here. Poi is a Hawaiian starch made from taro. I found this site about its nutrition http://www.diet-data.com/vegetables,_etc/poi/
How would it fit into a zone or paleo diet?
Is it a good Carbohydrate?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I'd say the fact that it has 65g of carbohydrates and almost no fiber puts it in the same group as potatoes and other purely starchy foods. From what I understand, these can be incorporated into a zone diet, but in small enough quantities to almost be considered a condiment.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Kaleo Aki

Profile:  
I was guessing that it could only be used moderately. My nagging question has always been how Hawaiians and Polynesians anciently seemed to have a high starch diet (most still do today but it has been replaced by white rice and other poor carbohydrates). They got most of their carbs from taro, breadfruit, and sweet potato yet remained extremely fit. Some of the old timers make it sound like the fish and meat was the condiment and the poi was the main dish. It would seem to be the opposite of what the zone and paleo diets recommend. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
My thought is, as good as the Zone works for some people, there is no "one size fits all" diet. I've got the same thing here in Virginia. Everybody I know had a grandfather that lived to be 100 years old eating fried potatoes, bacon, and drinking whiskey, all while smoking. Needless to say, he was in the minority, but I think that certain cultures and certain people thrive on different things. I think it's the same with fitness. You have to listen to your body, pay attention to your results, and tailor your lifestyle to suit what works best for you. For me personally, I have taken a lot of what I learned from the Zone and applied it a bit differently. I try and make my meals consist of mostly vegetables, but I get a bit more lean protein and eat a few more whole grains than are suggested. This works for me, I feel the best, I recover the quickest and I'm not hungry, which is the most important part. I think that in the past, when your options were mostly un-processed foods, your body would lead the way towards your optimum diet. Now, in our modern world, the choices we have don't exactly match up with what our body is trying to tell us, so we have to adjust a bit with knowlege and study, but still pay attention to what works best for each individual overall.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
Kaleo Aki

Profile:  
I think your right. Individualizing your diet is the key. I just whish it was a little simpler.