CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:
Upper body strength building

Hey all.

I'm having a hip arthroscopy tomorrow for impingement and labral tears, so I will be laid up from serious lower-body work for a good 4+ months. Would it be beneficial/possible to try and build some upper body-only strength during that time? I'll probably only be able to use machines, since there's a lot of core/hip activiation in free-weight movements.

Advice?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Upper body strength building

Maybe or just a focus on BW upper body strength gymnastics on parallettes and rings. Don't have to worry so much about loading your hip though you will load your core in a different way (without external load).
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McLaughlin View Post
Hey all.

I'm having a hip arthroscopy tomorrow for impingement and labral tears, so I will be laid up from serious lower-body work for a good 4+ months. Would it be beneficial/possible to try and build some upper body-only strength during that time? I'll probably only be able to use machines, since there's a lot of core/hip activiation in free-weight movements.

Advice?

Thanks!
I would stick to machines OR if doing upper body BW stuff avoid things like pushups that will activate your hips if that is a limitation. Pullups and dips would probably be better choices.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

I would avoid calisthenics. Lots of hip flexor work, plus there's the complication of having to lower yourself down on dips/pullups. That's if you're being strict about truly not stressing the mid/lower body in any significant way.

Bench Press FTW. Avoid using a gnarly lumbar arch, and definitely no leg drive. But the Bench has a huge, useful carryover to all upper body endeavors and places little to no necessary stress on the legs. Make sure you keep up on your external rotation, rear delt, and upper back work if you specialize in Bench for a while though. Lots of dislocates, face pulls, band pull-aparts, T-Bar rows, etc.

Also a thousand curls a day never hurt anybody, get swole bro u mirin.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

Awesome...thanks for the replies guys. Once I'm able to move around a little better I'll start trying out the machines and see how that goes. I figure while I can't do lower body stuff, might as well still work on something.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

If I can piggyback on this thread.

I recently saw someone post in another thread their maxes and I noticed how much of a discrepancy I have between my upper and lower body strength.

We did CrossFit total previous to the Open, and while my numbers have gone down a little from then they're still close.

1RM Deadlift: 405
1RM Back Squat: 315
1RM Press: 140...

I weigh around 175, do GSLP, get adequate sleep and have cut my MetCons back to once a week w some AM cardio.

Anyway, is there anything else I should/can be doing to get my press and bench up? I think last week my sets for press was at 120 5X5X6 and my bench at 160 5X5X9
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
If I can piggyback on this thread.

I recently saw someone post in another thread their maxes and I noticed how much of a discrepancy I have between my upper and lower body strength.

We did CrossFit total previous to the Open, and while my numbers have gone down a little from then they're still close.

1RM Deadlift: 405
1RM Back Squat: 315
1RM Press: 140...

I weigh around 175, do GSLP, get adequate sleep and have cut my MetCons back to once a week w some AM cardio.

Anyway, is there anything else I should/can be doing to get my press and bench up? I think last week my sets for press was at 120 5X5X6 and my bench at 160 5X5X9
Using the Rippetoe strength standards (I know that he disavowed them but they're not a terrible place to start) you don't seem to be glaringly weaker proportionally in your upper body.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

So I just wanted to kind of continue this thread, now that I'm about a month out of hip surgery. I am able to walk around and everything without pain, but still lifting my leg to 90 degrees causes a little pain, and I don't want to push it at this point.

I am trying to come up with some kind of metcon work that I can do at home with what I have, which is basically only one of those pull-up bars that you just throw on a door frame. So far, all I can really think of is some EMOTM work, like this for example:

20 mins EMOTM: 15 pushups, 5 pullups (pullups are still a weak point, so I'm really taking this recovery time to get better at them...can do about 8 strict in a row).

Also could use dips, inverted rows, situps...basically anything that I don't have to use a lot of hip activation...so unfortunately movements such as L-sits are out.

Anyone have any metcon ideas?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Eddie Odom

Profile:

the PDF of bodyweight exercises linked in the FAQs and posted here on the thread has tons!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Eddie Odom

Profile:

also, when you settle on what METCONS you think your body can handle, I'd run the list by the MD treating you. I'm terrible at sitting still for injury recovery and have lengthened by time laid up in the past by over doing it before my body was healed.