CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Tony McGurk

Profile:
Pullup Progression

I'm after a bit of advice regarding pullups. I started off only being able to do 1 pullup (strict deadhang type - tried kipping but just can't manage it) at a time about 6 months ago & now I can manage 5 or 6 for the 1st set then gradually dwindle off to about 3 per subsequent sets. Just wondering if it's better to use assistance methods like resistance bands or for long term results to persist with unassisted to gradually increase my rep ability over time. When I do a WOD that has say 30 pullups I just keep doing my low max sets until I reach the total amount of reps for the round.

Last edited by Tony McGurk : 06-01-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Pullup Progression

I think it depends on your priorities. If you want to build you metcon capacity, then you are better off scaling down the pullups either by quantity or using bands, because if you are doing a 10 minute WOD in 20 minutes to complete strict pullups, you lose the metcon benefit.

If you aren't in a rush to build metcon capacity, then you can stay strong with strict pullups.

You could probably do assisted pullups in metcons and then build your pullup capacity by doing the "frequency" method. Basically do 1/3 to 1/2 your max pullups several times a day several times a week.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Yep what Rob said.

1) Use light assistance band for met-cons that require more then 5 in a row to keep the pace up.

2) Frequency method to build strict.

3) Learn kipping. Use videos, CrossFit coach, gymnastics coach what ever you have access to.

Just treat each of these goal separately. Don't try to combine met-cons and learning kipping. One is training (met-con) and one is skill practice (learning kipping).

One helpful hint is kipping is best practiced when you fresh and in short sessions. As you get tired it gets harder to practice well.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Tony McGurk

Profile:

Thank guys for the suggestions. Much appreciated