CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Jose Soriano

Profile:
Filthy Fifty?

Hey folks, I was just looking for some info on this WOD.

I'm curious what it accomplishes? Most seem to serve a purpose in terms of strength, conditioning, speed or some other form of fitness, but this one strikes me as more of either a benchmark as to how far you've progressed or a showoff workout ("my workouts harder than yours!" type). It strikes me as though whatever benefit might be gained endurance-wise would be secondary to the amount of repetitive stress on joints.

Anyway, this thing is scheduled for today, and I'm wondering if I should do it, or if I should skip it, spare my knee, and save myself for whatever tomorrow's WOD is, and I gotta decide by 5pm est.

I'm all about pushing myself, but my real goal is improvement, not pain just for the sake of pain or being able to say "I threw up today." But seeing as how I have no idea what I'm talking about I figured I'd ask those of you who do - is this making me stronger, faster, etc? Does it help with body recomp? Or is it a "because we can" workout?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Filthy Fifty?

in my opinion, it's just a workout/metcon in a longer time domain. I think if it more like a benchmark. It only comes around once in a while, so it allows me to see if my fitness has improved and/or if I can beat my previous time. It's not unlike running a 5k test every 6 months or something. (not a 5k "fun run").
It's not as hard as it may seem and tests your lungs and mind more than anything. The wall-balls and burpees is where this wod is at. It's amazing the wall you hit - especially since all the previous exercises were relatively easy. Even though there is 50 reps, most of them, you can do unbroken or in very large sets .... and then you hit the wall balls. Will be the slowest 50 burpees ever and is a real mental challenge to keep moving.
I also struggle with the K2E sometimes if my hands are beat up.
It's also "classic crossfit" with a bit of a historical or sentimental aspect to it too.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Peter Williams

Profile:

I agree with Clint's answer on the general purpose - long metcon, no special training purpose, but seems to attack your whole body by the time you're through all 10 exercises.

K2E's and burpees kill my time on the thing.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Can't say it is one of my favorites but it is a good test/benchmark to hit maybe twice a year. The wall balls then burpees back to back kill me every time.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Jose Soriano

Profile:

I know my reply is a little late, but thanks guys. I decided to skip it, and glad I did. I can appreciate benchmarks, but it's not a priority for me right now - I'm focused more on week to week increases.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Harold Stafford

Profile:

Another option, rather than skip it, is to scale it to fit your personal fitness level and injury limitations. Just because they post a "Filthy Fifty" doesn't mean you wouldn't get a phenomenal workout from a "Terrible Twenty-Five". My first time doing it I scaled to 25, then next time around I scaled it to 35. Don't get me wrong, even at the lower reps it absolutely slew me during the workout, but I wasn't so destroyed that it negatively affected my following workout and it didn't overstress my joints or aggravate previous injuries.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Daniel Turgeon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Stafford View Post
Another option, rather than skip it, is to scale it to fit your personal fitness level and injury limitations. Just because they post a "Filthy Fifty" doesn't mean you wouldn't get a phenomenal workout from a "Terrible Twenty-Five". My first time doing it I scaled to 25, then next time around I scaled it to 35. Don't get me wrong, even at the lower reps it absolutely slew me during the workout, but I wasn't so destroyed that it negatively affected my following workout and it didn't overstress my joints or aggravate previous injuries.
Clever way to train
Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:

I did "Dirty Thirty" when "Filthy Fifty" came around. We hadn't been doing crossfit long at the time, I was told it wouldn't roll around again for a year or two...