CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
The local Barnes and Noble has never heard of the Anabolic Diet, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little background. I've searched the past posts and gotten a pretty decent idea of what the Anabolic Diet is, I was just wondering WHY it works.

This kinda stems from a friend of mine telling me that "there are no cheat days on The Zone Diet". So I'm curious of two things: First, why I'm right =) and second, if I'm 'cheating' correctly.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Joshua:

I don't think I can answer your question directly, and I apologize if you've already done this, but here goes:

Put +"Pasquale" +"anabolic diet" into Google. You'll get more than you want to know, plus lots of ways to buy the book(s).
Old 03-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Thanks! Just baught the e-book. There is a lot to it. I still haven't nailed down the exact rational behind the carb "spiking" but hey I'll throw it in the black box for a month and see what happens.

So basically I'm zoning with a cheat day on the weakends (or a cheat meal, however long it takes to get that nasty feeling) and a one hour carb spike on wednesday.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey Joshua,

Here's some thoughts on the subject:

"I think that a cheat day is nessesary for some people. It provides an outlet that allows compliance for the long hall.

If your eating is indead precise for 6 days, eating REALLY bad for one day will not get in the way of your fitness goals. You may feel sick or you may find it hard to get back on track the next day, but you will still get the results you are looking for.

With that said, I have found that "perfect" eating is the way to go if you need results fast.
It seems that you build momentum by not having a cheat day.

My fear is that the will power to do this is rare and I don't know how worth the cost is just to speed up the process. Add to that the tendancy for 3 weeks good eating, 3 weeks bad, and I have to recommend the one day a week cheat.

By the way, if anything, cheat day is an advanced diet skill. I would highly recommend sticking to your new diet for a good 2 months before adding a cheat day.

This allows you to really feel the benifit of the diet and to prove to yourself that you can do it.

You will also feel enough results at this point to be motivated to stay on the diet.

Cheat day should be a reward for your hard work, not an excuse to keep your sugar addiction alive!"

From LJG (guess who?). Full post at: http://web.archive.org/web/20010628214623/www.crossfit.com/jive/crossfit/viewThr ead.jsp?forum=5&thread=59

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
That is great great info. A few things really really jumped out at me:

"the tendancy for 3 weeks good eating, 3 weeks bad, and I have to recommend the one day a week cheat"
I totally get that, admitedly, I've felt myself starting to fall off, and it's been about three weeks. I just started keeping a log, and found out I wasn't even as "on" as I thought I was. Oddly, not enough carbs, and definately not enough fat. But I really got that without logging what I'm eating, I really have no relationship to reality.

"I would highly recommend sticking to your new diet for a good 2 months before adding a cheat day."
I'm totally confronted by this. Makes me ask myself, 'what am I really committed to?'

"Cheat day should be a reward for your hard work, not an excuse to keep your sugar addiction alive!"
Totally new way to relate to it - I feel like a freakin sugar junkie! I mean freakin a, I didn't ever eat cookies or pizza before I started doing the zone! I'm going to switch my cheat days from being cookies and pizza to just extra fruit,

Josh
Old 03-06-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
Steve Shafley

Profile:
DePasquale's new book is the "Metabolic Diet". Basically a rewritten version of the Anabolic Diet. You can view his site at www.metabolicdiet.com

Cyclic ketogenic diets have a lot to offer. They aren't for everyone, though.

Also, Duchaine's "Bodyopus", McDonald's "The Ketogenic Diet" are two other good books on the same topic.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I have REALLY liked the CKD's in the past. I can not maintain a full CF schedule on them but for a more purely strength oritned athlete I think they are fantastic.

Robb
Old 03-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

On a pure ketogenic diet, you can't work out at the peak of your abilities - carbs are necessary for peak performance. For weight loss, this is okay - you can achieve adequate performance without carbs. But if you want peak performance, you need carbs. CKDs let you get in some workouts with a full load of glycogen.

If you can coordinate your workout schedule with the ketogenic cycle, a CKD is going to work out well. If you can schedule your glycogen intensive workouts for the part of the cycle when you're loaded up, and light or moderate workouts for the depleted days, you're set. With the Crossfit 3 on / 1 off cycle, this probably will not work. If you wanted to try, I'd think your best bet would be, carb up on the PM of the off day, and accept mediocre performance on the workouts that fall on the third consecutive day.