CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
MLM "Health" Products

ItWorks, Body by Vi, Advo-care, etc, etc...

Does anyone know of a resource that proves these are garbage? Or would anyone be willing to write something up comparing these to other things, especially ItWorks (my sister-in-law is a distributor and she drives me crazy).

Maybe Chris Mason could chime in or maybe write an article for your website?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: MLM "Health" Products

This (WFS) is a pretty good takedown of Herbalife but really applies to all MLM-type companies, written by a guy who's made a few billion dollars off of being able to tell what companies are viable and what aren't. Here (WFS) is a shorter version in case you don't want to go through 300+ slides, albeit slides that are pretty entertaining.

The short answer is that a huge majority of MLM companies rely more on recruiting other distributors/partners/etc. than they do on actually selling the overpriced products. Eventually the house of cards will collapse because you won't be able to find people outside the pyramid to sell to, and the only people who really get rich are the 0.1% who get in early and are able to convince a lot of people to come in after them and do more selling.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
This (WFS) is a pretty good takedown of Herbalife but really applies to all MLM-type companies, written by a guy who's made a few billion dollars off of being able to tell what companies are viable and what aren't. Here (WFS) is a shorter version in case you don't want to go through 300+ slides, albeit slides that are pretty entertaining.

The short answer is that a huge majority of MLM companies rely more on recruiting other distributors/partners/etc. than they do on actually selling the overpriced products. Eventually the house of cards will collapse because you won't be able to find people outside the pyramid to sell to, and the only people who really get rich are the 0.1% who get in early and are able to convince a lot of people to come in after them and do more selling.
Thanks, Eric. Looks to be exactly what I was looking for. My sister-in-law tried getting me to do ItWorks...too culty for me. I had another friend try to get me to join TEAM/LIFE which is worse than all of those...they don't even really sell anything, just try to get you to join the "TEAM" to spread leadership advice....for a fee of course.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Sent your link to my brother, and my sister-in-law is now pretty upset with me haha.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Dan Thomas

Profile:

My wife's friend sells [edit: site won't let me type the name]. I looked up some of their stuff. Here's the ingredient list from their "Post-Workout Recovery":

Maltodextrin, fructose, soy protein powder, modified casein, creatine monohydrate, creatine phosphate, eleuthero root, soy lecithin, canola oil, calcium phosphate, medium-chain triglycerides, magnesium oxide, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, natural and artificial flavors, L-leucine, silicon dioxide, xanthan gum, ascorbic acid, L-isoleucine, L-valine, inosine, rice syrup solids, fructooligosaccharides, citrus pectin, inositol, zinc gluconate, L-carnitine, calcium pantothenate, niacinamide, vitamin E succinate, beta-carotene, manganese sulfate, ferrous fumarate, selenomethionine, calcium borate, copper gluconate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamine hydrochloride, vanadyl sulfate, chromium polynicotinate, cholecalciferol, papain, bromelain, gamma-oryzanol, choline dihydrogen citrate, folic acid, biotin, sodium molybdate, dibencozide, cyanocobalamin, potassium iodide, dicalcium phosphate

Ha.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
My wife's friend sells [edit: site won't let me type the name]. I looked up some of their stuff. Here's the ingredient list from their "Post-Workout Recovery":

Maltodextrin, fructose, soy protein powder, modified casein, creatine monohydrate, creatine phosphate, eleuthero root, soy lecithin, canola oil, calcium phosphate, medium-chain triglycerides, magnesium oxide, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, natural and artificial flavors, L-leucine, silicon dioxide, xanthan gum, ascorbic acid, L-isoleucine, L-valine, inosine, rice syrup solids, fructooligosaccharides, citrus pectin, inositol, zinc gluconate, L-carnitine, calcium pantothenate, niacinamide, vitamin E succinate, beta-carotene, manganese sulfate, ferrous fumarate, selenomethionine, calcium borate, copper gluconate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamine hydrochloride, vanadyl sulfate, chromium polynicotinate, cholecalciferol, papain, bromelain, gamma-oryzanol, choline dihydrogen citrate, folic acid, biotin, sodium molybdate, dibencozide, cyanocobalamin, potassium iodide, dicalcium phosphate

Ha.
I know exactly what company that is, almost got suckered into "working" for them at a wrestling tournament, talked to them on the phone a few times. Looks like a bunch of garbage!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

If you guys think Progenex is expensive, try this crap. It's $99.00 (unless you decide to join their pyramid scheme, then its only $69.00). 30 servings, 1.55lbs, and only 14g of protein per serving.

https://workstation.myitworks.com/Fi...%20Vanilla.pdf (WFS)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
If you guys think Progenex is expensive, try this crap. It's $99.00 (unless you decide to join their pyramid scheme, then its only $69.00). 30 servings, 1.55lbs, and only 14g of protein per serving.

https://workstation.myitworks.com/Fi...%20Vanilla.pdf (WFS)
Haha. Love the irony of the "Ultimate Profit" name on the powder.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Railsback View Post
Haha. Love the irony of the "Ultimate Profit" name on the powder.
lol I didn't notice that until you pointed it out... damn they are smooth.

They also say that it only has 14g of protein because "your body can only absorb so much protein at a time" but then they say it is sustained release and absorbs slowly, nourishing the body over time. If that is the case, then why is there only 14g of protein? That's less than what the body absorbs in an hour....

Last edited by Brad Allen Jones : 02-02-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
ItWorks, Body by Vi, Advo-care, etc, etc...

Does anyone know of a resource that proves these are garbage? Or would anyone be willing to write something up comparing these to other things, especially ItWorks (my sister-in-law is a distributor and she drives me crazy).

Maybe Chris Mason could chime in or maybe write an article for your website?
I don't think I would want to write an entire article on such a topic. I am sure you understand?

With that said, a few easy clues. First, it is hard to find supplement facts on many of those companies' sites. That, or they hide everything in "proprietary blends" or the like. They do that so people cannot readily see that the products they are selling for a premium price are using, at BEST, average ingredients, and often below average ingredients. Even when the listed ingredient appears to be good it is likely a cheap version of said ingredient and or underdosed from what has been proven to actually work.

Next, said companies have HUGE incentive programs, big ad budgets, and give away big prizes with regularity. You can't do that unless you are making a mint on what you are selling. They couple excessively high prices with cheap to produce products. Add in a HUGE dose of ridiculous claims as a lame, but effective means of justifying your ridiculous pricing and you have the formula for big money...

That is what I hate about said types of companies.