CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Kevin Yun

Profile:
Post What supplements to take to get the best results

Hey everyone

I have been doing crossfit for 5 months and have significant improvements to my strength and fitness. I am currently training for the 2013 open.

To get best results, what kind of supplements should I take/ could you guys recommend? I have no experience at all when it comes to supplements which could increase my production rate.

I try to train twice a day monday to friday and do a session on saturday with rest on sunday.

I have been using protein shakes for about two months but since Christmas haven't used it.. but will get back into using protein powders.

I've heard of Amino X and other recovery and muscle gaining supplement products from BSN.

Finally, what supplements from your guys experience is best for promoting fat loss/increase fat burning rate

Cheers

Kevin
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What supplements to take to get the best results

You don't need protein shakes unless your diet is for some reason deficient in protein. Protein shakes are primarily supplements of convenience (i.e. it is easier to drink one right after you train than to eat something).

If you want the supplements to make a difference (and that are safe):

Creatine monohydrate (as pure as possible)
Beta-Alanine
Citrulline malate
Caffeine

I also have a unique product called ETS.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You don't need protein shakes unless your diet is for some reason deficient in protein. Protein shakes are primarily supplements of convenience (i.e. it is easier to drink one right after you train than to eat something).

If you want the supplements to make a difference (and that are safe):

Creatine monohydrate (as pure as possible)
Beta-Alanine
Citrulline malate
Caffeine

I also have a unique product called ETS.
Chris,

I just heard about citrulline malate for the first time, a few days ago. What are its benefits? Have you used it?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Eric Shuty

Profile:

In my opinion the basics are the most tried and true. They also happen to be cheaper than most of the new, whiz bang, results guaranteed, fancy pants stuff that comes out on a daily basis. Here is what I think is a safe bet that won't make you go broke:

1) some form of caffeine before strength training...doesn't necessarily apply or metcons because it might upset your stomach. Dosage depends on tolerance. Also, see the threa in the nutrition section started by Andrea Kirk (I think) about the benefits of caffeine.

2) creatine monohydrate before and after training. I use CGT-10 which has glutamine and taurine in it but there are plenty of regular creatine products out
there

3) some manner of post-workout protein. I know I lot of purists prefer whole food but I say why not both? I drink a shake on the way home and then eat dinner when I get home.

4) fish oil and multi-vitamin. Why? Because the possible benefits are great and they are super cheap....so why not? I'm pretty sure I meet my vitamin and mineral needs with food but a multi is a great "just in case" tool. If I excrete most of it then oh well....

That's about it. What is popular at the gym or most expensive is not necessarily best. Muscle tech used to be really expensive and very popular but it was also filled with sugar and fillers. Don't confuse a great advertising campaign with a great product. This goes for companies like progenex as well.

Just I be clear, I'm not coming at this from a scientific position or from an insider position like Chris so I'm simply relying on years of experience. What I can tell you for sure is that most commonly marketed pre-workouts, "hormone boosters", etc, are garbage and have little to no effect other than emptying your bank account. Final verdict: your supps should be just like your training...you can't go wrong with the basics!!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
Chris,

I just heard about citrulline malate for the first time, a few days ago. What are its benefits? Have you used it?
I have, yes. Basically it is a bit like Beta-Alanine at least in terms of effects. It can help with strength endurance.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Kevin Yun

Profile:

I've heard bad things about creatine...

And what do you guys think of HYPER FX™, AMINO X™, SYNTHA-6™, CELLMASS®. Anyone had experience with supplements before?

It's just that I want to know I'm taking the necessary things instead of spending lots of money on supplements that won't really benefit me
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Eric Shuty

Profile:

You've heard bad things about creatine? It's not 1990 any more I think it's safe to go ahead and jump on the creatine train....

Anyways, as a whole BSN products are overpriced just like most of the more successful supplement companies.

Syntha 6=tastes good but there are less expensive alternatives

Hyper FX=overpriced, overhyped pre-workout like all the others (no-xplode, assault, jack 3d, etc). The ingredients that actually do something were discussed in previous posts (caffeine, beta alanine, etc). Then they throw in a crap ton of niacin to "energize" you.

Amino x=there are cheaper alternatives

And so forth and so on...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Yeah, what bad things have you heard about creatine?

You can always grow a beard like Eric. The power of the beard supercedes any need for supplements .
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Yun View Post
HYPER FX™, AMINO X™, SYNTHA-6™, CELLMASS®.

It's just that I want to know I'm taking the necessary things instead of spending lots of money on supplements that won't really benefit me
If that's what you're currently taking, you're spending way too much money on way too much sugary crap with (probably) severely under dosed ingredients.

There aren't any *necessary* supplements, because supplements are exactly what the name implies. If you want the basic building block supplements, then stick with what the others have already said... creatine, whey & casein protein, fish oil, and aminos like beta-alanine won't hurt. Plenty of water, plenty of sleep.

I've also been doing some reading about caffeine pre & post training... results are mixed but mostly positive.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Blake Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Yun View Post
I've heard bad things about creatine...

And what do you guys think of HYPER FX™, AMINO X™, SYNTHA-6™, CELLMASS®. Anyone had experience with supplements before?

Kevin, the only reason you've even heard about all of these BSN products is because of Rich Froning. The truth is most of those are not necessary to make the gains you want. What is your diet like? I started on the Zone diet last month and have seen some big gains. That paired with a lot of water and a lot of sleep are huge.
As far as supplements go, protein powder is only needed when you can't make a real meal. Fish oil is good if you're not eating fish at least a few times a week. I would recommend creatine, in its most pure form possible. There has been a ton of research done that shows when you use as directed that it is safe and has been proven to improve gains.