CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Alex Chaney

Profile:
Customized Starting Strength Hybrid (Intermediate)

Workout A
(5x3 or 7x2 or 7x1) Cleans
(3x5 or 5x3 or 3x3) Squats
(3x5 or 5x3 or 3x3) Overhead Press
(3x5 or 5x3 or 3x3) Chins (unweighted, weighted, one-arm)

Workout B
(5x3 or 7x2 or 7x1) Snatch
(3x5 or 5x3 or 3x3) Standing One-arm Dumbbell Press / Close Grip Bench Press
(3 ascents or 5 ascents) Rope-climbs (unweighted, weighted)
(1x5 or 1x3) Deadlifts

Optional: Hand balancing every day (for fun) and sprints for conditioning (I prefer 100 meters and 50 meters).

Use ascending sets.

Is this a decent program for a intermediate?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Customized Starting Strength Hybrid (Intermediate)

Cleans, squats, and press on the same day? And why ascending sets? 5x3 or 3x5 or 3x3 implies the same weight for each set.

Any reason why existing S&C programs don't fit your goals? Something that's time-tested is likely to work far better than what you're making up off the top of your head.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Cleans, squats, and press on the same day? And why ascending sets? 5x3 or 3x5 or 3x3 implies the same weight for each set.

Any reason why existing S&C programs don't fit your goals? Something that's time-tested is likely to work far better than what you're making up off the top of your head.
Same weight throughout seems a bit taxing for me plus it's easier to warm up into the lift. Starting Strength, Wendler, Westside etc. are great programs no doubt though it doesn't help with certain skills like OACs or better rope climbs for grip. Think of this as a customized hybrid if I may say.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

there are already several good such programs out there... 5/3/1, CFFB, GSLP... and 5/3/1 and GSLP have numerous different "versions" that you can use based on number of days you want to train, strengths and weakness, and your personal goals. select a good one a do it.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chaney View Post
Same weight throughout seems a bit taxing for me plus it's easier to warm up into the lift. Starting Strength, Wendler, Westside etc. are great programs no doubt though it doesn't help with certain skills like OACs or better rope climbs for grip. Think of this as a customized hybrid if I may say.
Same weight throughout allows for a steady progression. Or if you're going to do ascending sets, I'd recommend doing them at something like 5/3/1's percentages rather than just going with what feels heavy.

And yes, you could easily add OAC or rope work in as assistance work on 5/3/1 or another program.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Same weight throughout allows for a steady progression. Or if you're going to do ascending sets, I'd recommend doing them at something like 5/3/1's percentages rather than just going with what feels heavy.

And yes, you could easily add OAC or rope work in as assistance work on 5/3/1 or another program.
I'll definitely try it out! How would you recommend incorporating cleans and snatches in 531?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Quote:
Starting Strength, Wendler, Westside etc. are great programs no doubt though it doesn't help with certain skills like OACs or better rope climbs for grip.
Has anybody tried applying Westside to Weighted Pull ups?

For me, 50-60% of 1RM weighted pull up (BW + whatever extra weight), ends up being less than BW so I suppose I would have to use bands as support on DE day. Then I suppose you could use a weighted vest to go from 50 to 55 to 60 within a cycle. Not exactly super-trivial, but has anybody done it or knows a good reason not to do it?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Deckhard View Post
Has anybody tried applying Westside to Weighted Pull ups?

For me, 50-60% of 1RM weighted pull up (BW + whatever extra weight), ends up being less than BW so I suppose I would have to use bands as support on DE day. Then I suppose you could use a weighted vest to go from 50 to 55 to 60 within a cycle. Not exactly super-trivial, but has anybody done it or knows a good reason not to do it?
I believe it's possible but I would stick to a ss program and then increase weight until the 50-60% is body weight or above.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
I'll definitely try it out! How would you recommend incorporating cleans and snatches in 531?
Cleans before squats on squat day, and snatches before deadlift on DL day. Lots of people do this.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Quote:
I believe it's possible but I would stick to a ss program and then increase weight until the 50-60% is body weight or above.
By ss, do you mean starting strength or something else?

I am not convinced you can do a linear progression until 50% = BW. This would mean I could increase weight every workout until I could bang out a pull up with 2BW, ie. with 195lb strapped to my body.... This seems like a fairly advanced level of pull up strength.