CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:
Best jump rope for competitions?

Looking to buy a good solid rope for double unders. Any suggestions? Looking for quality, spin, durability, etc...

also are there rules as to which rope you can use in competition or do they usually provide a standard rope when competing?

Last edited by Sean M Hutchinson : 12-15-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Best jump rope for competitions?

This type (WFS) is one of the better ones out there, but a lot of jump roping is personal preference. Best bet is to try a few different types you see around your gym and figure out which one you like the feel of, then buy your own so you can adjust it to the correct length.

I was in one competition a few years back that made everyone use the ropes they provided, but every competition I've seen other than that one has allowed people to use whatever rope they wanted.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
This type (WFS) is one of the better ones out there, but a lot of jump roping is personal preference. Best bet is to try a few different types you see around your gym and figure out which one you like the feel of, then buy your own so you can adjust it to the correct length.

I was in one competition a few years back that made everyone use the ropes they provided, but every competition I've seen other than that one has allowed people to use whatever rope they wanted.
sweet that's the one i was looking at. i heard a lot about the buddy lee but they aren't adjustable are they???
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

They're adjustable in that you can cut the cord or tie knots in it if you want to shorten it slightly. I've had a few Buddy Lee handles break on me, so I switched over to more durable brands awhile back.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Jon Hanover

Profile:

The jump rope linked too above is too heavy and too damn expensive for a jump rope.

I want something light, quick, spins well, and is cheaper than $20... I feel like that price is a racket for a tiny piece of plastic with a cord. I don't get it.

I'd check out these jump ropes -WFS- before dropping $25 on a rope imho.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

I have used a few jump ropes, Ropes as Rxd different cable sizes, AF, Rogue ultra speed rope, and lastly the SR-1. The SR-1 is by far my favorite and the rope I currently use. The cable size on the MDUSA and Rogue SR-1 are the same. Unsure of actual total weight but it does feel just as light as Rogue's Ultra speed and the AF rope I used. I think the bearing on the SR-1 make a world of difference compared to the others I have used.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Hutchinson View Post
Looking to buy a good solid rope for double unders. Any suggestions? Looking for quality, spin, durability, etc...

also are there rules as to which rope you can use in competition or do they usually provide a standard rope when competing?
Sean,

You'll find no shortage of ahem...'debate' on this issue.

Most anyone who is already proficient at double unders can perform well with most any rope on the market provided it is sized correctly and has bearings in the handles.

The most important part of gaining that proficiency is practice. We really like what RX Jump Rope is doing - so much so that we asked if we could resell their product.

Many of the cables out on the market are really thin. Is thinner better?? No, not for the beginner. These thinner cables are tougher to move around your body because they are so light. Can it be done? Sure. Will you gain proficiency by using them? Sure...eventually. They are just not the best jump rope to learn on. The RX Rope has 5 different thicknesses of cable available. As your skill improves, you can move to the thinner cables. I'm at the 'Elite' or middle cable and have been there for over a year. Could I graduate - yep, but even WODding Annie [50-40-30-20-10 DU/Situps] I don't think would be much faster with the thinner cable for me at this point.

Comfort - look for a handle that will fit your hand well and feels comfortable and not slippery. Although we do have plastic handle jump ropes, I personally use the RX because of the comfortable handle and it has non-stickly grip tape on it that doesn't feel slick. I also like the bit thicker handle.

Spin - Most all the manufacturers have this part nailed down pretty well. I'm not convinced that there is a lot more to gain in this area. Nay say me if you will [and I'm sure there will be some ], but the extra super double enhanced frictionless mumbo jumbo is just that...mumbo jumbo. Yes to a point, but beyond that, it's hype. Practice makes you better and faster.

Durability - The cables will not last if you jump on concrete or asphalt. Keep to jumping on a rubber mat and they will last. My RX rope is over two years old and going strong.

As far as competition rules - nope, I've not heard nor seen of any restrictions on any jump ropes yet.

http://hammerheadfitness.com/hammerhead-rx-jump-rope/ [wfs]

Hope that helps...
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Another option is the CrossRope ropes (WFS), created by David Hunt who posts on these boards every now and then. The handles spin very well and you can swap between 7 different cable thicknesses depending on what kind of training effect you're looking for. The thinnest cables are comparable in speed to the Rogue or RX speed ropes and the thickest ones will do a great job of building muscle endurance in your wrists and forearms.

Here (WFS) is an in-depth review I wrote on them a few months back.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Michael Herring

Profile:

I've tried quite a few and the Rogue bearing rope with the long handles is by far the best. Long handles make it easy to articulate. The cable is the lightest coated cable I've come across and not so flimsy that it whips you when it catches your foot. The bearing and ball joint just makes it easy to rotate. It may be a little pricy for what it is but if spending 10 more bucks to get the best rope is going to break you, you've got bigger problems.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Erik Tilove

Profile:

I have this jump rope and it's nothing but amazing. $16.95 too.

Link is WFS. The surge jump rope. Handles spin really well and the cable is the perfect weight.

https://www.buyjumpropes.net/Surge_Jump_Rope_p/053.htm