CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I have just started reading and applying the zone diet. I tried to follow their guidlines for finding bodyfat % and it had to be way off. It said I was 26%, four years ago I had the underwater bodyfat test done and I was 9%, that's when I still drank heavily and ate poorly. Anyway, I guestimated that my bodyfat was 10% and activity level at 0.9. This gives me 24 - 25 blocks per day. Is this a lot, or too many? I noticed that many of you, including the advanced and those of similar weight, are consuming less. My breakdown would be 5/5.
Also when and why would I double my fat blocks? Is it too soon to do this? This is my first week of strict zone dieting. Would the extra fat help me feel fuller? I am hungry again about 30 minutes prior to eating.

Ben
Old 11-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I am 6'3", about 170lbs (last weigh-in 2 months ago). I eat 20 blocks a day, and double the fat, though I have sometimes gone with 3x the fat. I was doing 22.5 blocks a day, but feel much better moving down to 20. Most people tend to think 5/5 is overdoing it. But tinker around with it, see what makes you feel best.

In general, you double the fat once you get below 10%, and increase it even more once you hit your desired BF% or performance starts to suffer.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:44 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ben, your best bet is to get your bodyfat tested wit skinfold calipers. I actually have a set of digital calipers and weigh and caculate my bodyfat every Monday (I also put this infor on a chart). My goal now is to remain under 9% through the holidays. I am on a 5 / 2 with extra added fat in the form of liquid or pill form fish oil. 5 / 5 is a bit much, play around with it. It is highly possible that your first test was not accurate. At 10% (or close to it) you should see a 2 pack in your abs, 6-8% a 4 pack and 5% or less a 6 pack! (totally unscientific just my observation).
Old 11-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i need to ask a relevant question here. i just got the CFJ back issue on meal plans and i am planning on starting. like ben i am having some trouble figuring out where to place myself. i am 5'10", 235, about 18-20% BF, fairly active(WODs, rock climbing on the weekends). i was thinking that 20 blocks XL male is where i fit in but it seems like i would be starving all day. am i looking into this to much, would i be bettter off just starting and adjusting as i go?

tanner
Old 11-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

I've also just started with the zone, in addition to eating meat for the 1st time in 10 years. I only started about 5 days ago, but already feel better for it. I'm eating what feels like much more food than I was, but without the quick-fix carbs, like pasta/bread/rice etc, I don't feel anywhere near as weighed down or bloated; in fact with most of my carbs coming from fruit/vegetables I find it difficult to consume 5 blocks sometimes.

I'm much smaller than you guys 5'8" @ 150# and am doing 5/1. It's been mentioned a few times recently that 5/5 is almost never recommended in practice.

I've noticed quite a number of people asking lots of questions regarding zone nutrition lately; it's good to see and has been my major downfall in the quest for fitness until recently.

I've dragged my wife and daughter into the zone with me; they started yesterday and are struggling a little bit with carb (read: sugar) cravings. But for now, they're still with me...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Pat - tell your wife and daughter that the carb cravings only last about two to three days. If I can get through two days, I feel great. Now I just don't get off the diet for more than one meal but I found this out by breaking more than I should have.

Also - I think I remember Lauren saying that they rarely give someone a .9 or a 1 for their exercise level even doing crossfit and another sport. She put me at .7 and I do crossfit and jui jitsu.

Beth
Old 11-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
I'm curious as to what the amount of calories you guys and gals are getting in per day? I've always thought the amount of calories reccomended by Xfit were pretty low. I dunno if it's my metabolism or what but I find that I need at least 2500 calories a day to not feel week, tried and not want to eat my hand yet I see most people seem to getting like 1900-2200. I'm only 5-10 169lbs so compared to others it seems like a lot.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Troy, the cals are low initially, when you get below 10% BF (or so) you then up the fat blocks until you level out. So you may be eating 7 fat blocks per meal. . . as you know fat is very calorie dense.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
Pat Janes

Profile:

Beth - they are certainly still struggling with the carb (sugar) cravings. The 1st 3 days, they "saved" up 1-2 carb blocks @ dinner and used them on a chocolate desert.

So I don't think they've had a day without the sugar yet..! Still... it is a severe improvement on their previous dietary intake.

After almost a week on the zone and away from vegetarianism, I don't feel at all hard-done by with my calorie consumption. In fact, with all the meat/fruit/vegetables I'm eating now, it can sometimes be a little difficult to finish a 5-block meal.

I've certainly noticed that I can eat a lot more food (by volume) now and feel a whole lot less bloated and/or weighed down. I used to eat a lot of bread/milk/eggs because as a lacto-ovo vegetarian it was the only way I could fill up.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:51 AM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Wow, CrossFit plus jiu-jitsu only gets you a 0.7?

I gotta go revise my thinking . . .