CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Aaron Benson

Profile:
Building muscle after starting strength

Hello,
I have been reading this forum and crossfitting on my own for the past year. My first real CF workouts were doing the 2012 open. My problem was gaining weight and muscle mass. Before crossfit I mainly ran long distance. Long story short is I did 20 weeks of starting strength and gained about 25 lbs and all my lifts went up alot. I drank half gallon of whole milk a day and ate ALOT. I always recovered well and never felt fatigued or tired during work outs, granted I was not doing any Wods or any type of conditioning. (I was doing the program) Now I am at a weight I like, 180lbs 5'8". I am now doing CFSB.
My question is how can i recover well and still build muscle from the added work load but not go up any more weight (Fat). I have been doing CFSB for two months now. I am not leaning out.
My diet is:
-3 to4 Eggs for breakfast and 12 oz of blended friuts and vegetables
-pre workout shake = 1 scoop of protien- 1/2 cup of oats - 2 table spoons of olive oil - 16 oz of water.
-post workout- 16 oz grape juice with 5g creatine
-Another shake exactly like my pre workout
-some form of meats and another 12 oz of blended fruits and vegatables
-Sometimes a banana or yogurt before bed.
Am I missing something important for recovery or muscle growth? Do I need to continue with the whole milk or???
Thanks in advance, I am 31 years old
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Building muscle after starting strength

I'm guessing that you are trying to lean out some? If so, I would keep doing what you are doing, but slightly reduce some calory intake. I'd start with the fruit. You should also track your food for at least a few days to see how many calories you are having.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Aaron Benson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I'm guessing that you are trying to lean out some? If so, I would keep doing what you are doing, but slightly reduce some calory intake. I'd start with the fruit. You should also track your food for at least a few days to see how many calories you are having.
Paulo..
Yes I am trying to lean out.

If I reduce my calories do I have to reduce my metcons or strength work, and just settle for leaning out to take more time? (Time frame is by the start of the open.) Right now I feel as if I need to eat more.... by the way I am feeling after a week of training..? Is there a better post workout drink for better recovery than I am currently taking? Just looking for different ideas or what is working for others. I am following CFSB pretty much to a T. Will my body eventually get used to the added work...? starting strength was much easier as far as recovery

Thanks for you time
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Bailey Garrett

Profile:

Aaron,
I wouldn't lower the amount of metcons or strength training youre doing. If anything, the metcons are helping you lean out while maintaining muscle.

Have you tried taking BCAAs? They help in my recovery and I've noticed significant muscle gain and strength. If that sounds like a good idea and you're ok with supplements then I would suggest drinking casein before bed instead of the banana or yogurt and yes, switching out the whole milk for 1% instead.

Fruits are also apparently not the best for leaning out, although, I love them and will not give them up despite my desire for least bf% Stick to them in the morning before a workout and try to keep the variety to berries or citrus fruits. Bananas are good post workout in that sugar aided with protein speeds recovery. Hope that helps, good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Selby Brighton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Benson View Post
Hello,
I have been reading this forum and crossfitting on my own for the past year. My first real CF workouts were doing the 2012 open. My problem was gaining weight and muscle mass. Before crossfit I mainly ran long distance. Long story short is I did 20 weeks of starting strength and gained about 25 lbs and all my lifts went up alot. I drank half gallon of whole milk a day and ate ALOT. I always recovered well and never felt fatigued or tired during work outs, granted I was not doing any Wods or any type of conditioning. (I was doing the program) Now I am at a weight I like, 180lbs 5'8". I am now doing CFSB.
My question is how can i recover well and still build muscle from the added work load but not go up any more weight (Fat). I have been doing CFSB for two months now. I am not leaning out.
My diet is:
-3 to4 Eggs for breakfast and 12 oz of blended friuts and vegetables
-pre workout shake = 1 scoop of protien- 1/2 cup of oats - 2 table spoons of olive oil - 16 oz of water.
-post workout- 16 oz grape juice with 5g creatine
-Another shake exactly like my pre workout
-some form of meats and another 12 oz of blended fruits and vegatables
-Sometimes a banana or yogurt before bed.
Am I missing something important for recovery or muscle growth? Do I need to continue with the whole milk or???
Thanks in advance, I am 31 years old
I used the powder mixers (protein shakes) when i was starting out and found (so long as you dont go overboard with them) that they make up for all those areas your diet (and life style) dont allow you to fulfil . . give them a shot. . .it worked for me
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Francisco Blanco

Profile:

Your diet is fine all ou have to do is scale it down and eat small meals throughout the day. Don't worry about scaling any of your workouts or anything like that