CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Snir Golan

Profile:
Need help with programming (strength bias)

Hi,

so first a little background and info about me. i am 33 year old male that has been doing CF for about a year now. When i started CF, i was your avarage slightly over weight, out of shape, 9-5 in an office kinda guy. since i started CF, my life completely changed and i can honestly say that i have never felt better or was in a better shape and that is including the time i served in the army. i am 6'1 weighing in at about 186lbs (i know, i am working on actually gaining some weight back), i am eating Paleo about 95% of the time (still the occasional cheat meal here and there). my numbers are lower than where i think that they should be but i am working on them and already saw good improvements:

DL- 405lbs
Squat-235lbs (i am still struggling with the squat and that is what i am focusing on right now.

it is important to note that i am carrying an old shoulder injury that is very limiting to alot of the movements that i can do (torn rotator cuff and labrum injury) which means that pushups, snatch, OHS, Bench press are all things that can cause me a great deal of pain. i am currently doing PT and while it does make things a bit better, i accepted the fact that it will never really be 100% unless i do surgery.

now with that wall of words out of the way, here is what i need help. i am trying to create some sort of a program that is easy to follow and help me achieve my goal which is to become stronger. I am working out 4-5 times a week on most weeks and what i think would work best for me is a program that combines 2 of your typical CF metcons (maybe make them a bit more strength biased by going a bit heavier for lower reps) and 2 heavy lifting days. the problem for me is that i can't seem to wrap my head around the different programs out there and how to combine the two. i have been reading about 5/3/1 and i recently bought the Greyskull which looks to be perfect fit for what i am looking for with some small modification.

so.. with all the above said, i am looking for any advice i can get from you folks and i would love it if you can provide some specifics or at least point me in the right direction. it would be amazing if i can find some templates that i can use and then simply modifying them for my shoulder situation.

thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Need help with programming (strength bias)

Either 3x per week GSLP lifting with 1-2 metcons per week, or 3-4x 5/3/1 lifting with a few metcons per week will get the job done.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Jesse Martin

Profile:

I am combining 5/3/1 and Crossfit. I do 4 days per week (military press, Deadlift, Bench Press, Squat) You just have to coordinate the assistance lifts with the metcons. For upper body days select a metcon that is upper body dominant and vise versa.

For example today was military press day. For assistance work in 5/3/1 I usually add a vertical pull, and horizontal push and a horizontal pulling exercise. So my basic template for this 4 week cycle looked like this for military day:

Military press 5/3/1 (depening on week)
Chins- 3x8
Rows- 3x8
DB bench press- 3x8

For the metcon I did "Cindy"
20 min AMRAP
5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats

Since pullups and pushups were vertical pulling and horizontal pushing I omited them from the assistance section. So my weight training was Military press and cable rows then I moved on to the metcon.

Since tomorrow is deadlifts I didn't want to do anything crazy with the lower body today. Then tomorrows metcon I will choose a squat variation or lunges which will serve as the assistance lifts for that day. You can trow in core movements to any metcon and stuff like double unders, box jumps or even wall balls. Those things should not interfere with your core lifts provided you keep them in perspective.

I got this idea from Paulo Sontos from this board. He runs a conjugate template on his site that is ace but is probably for the more advanced lifter.

Crossfit and structured strength programming can be a challenge because the random nature of metcons are almost counterproductive..... but with a little thought I think you can experience the best of both worlds.

For the record I am very new to this type of programming so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Jesse Martin : 11-26-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
I am combining 5/3/1 and Crossfit. I do 4 days per week (military press, Deadlift, Bench Press, Squat) You just have to coordinate the assistance lifts with the metcons. For upper body days select a metcon that is upper body dominant and vise versa.

For example today was military press day. For assistance work in 5/3/1 I usually add a vertical pull, and horizontal push and a horizontal pulling exercise. So my basic template for this 4 week cycle looked like this for military day:

Military press 5/3/1 (depening on week)
Chins- 3x8
Rows- 3x8
DB bench press- 3x8

For the metcon I did "Cindy"
20 min AMRAP
5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats

Since pullups and pushups were vertical pulling and horizontal pushing I omited them from the assistance section. So my weight training was Military press and cable rows then I moved on to the metcon.

Since tomorrow is deadlifts I didn't want to do anything crazy with the lower body today. Then tomorrows metcon I will choose a squat variation or lunges which will serve as the assistance lifts for that day. You can trow in core movements to any metcon and stuff like double unders, box jumps or even wall balls. Those things should not interfere with your core lifts provided you keep them in perspective.

I got this idea from Paulo Sontos from this board. He runs a conjugate template on his site that is ace but is probably for the more advanced lifter.

Crossfit and structured strength programming can be a challenge because the random nature of metcons are almost counterproductive..... but with a little thought I think you can experience the best of both worlds.

For the record I am very new to this type of programming so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Jesse, glad you are using that template. It worked very well for me. The one thing that I learned from that is that I would move any isolation exercises to after everything (Post Metcon):

So in your example I would do:

5/3/1: Press

Assistance:
Triceps
Back
Shoulders

Metcon:
AMRAP 20:

5 Pullups
10 Push-ups
15 Air Squats

I would remove the pullups and push-ups like you did and do the triceps to after the Metcon because I found that if I kept it before the Metcon that doing triceps would destroy my push-ups.

And the same concept applies to when doing lower body, especially if you do isolation exercises for your hamstrings.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Jesse, glad you are using that template. It worked very well for me. The one thing that I learned from that is that I would move any isolation exercises to after everything (Post Metcon):

So in your example I would do:

5/3/1: Press

Assistance:
Triceps
Back
Shoulders

Metcon:
AMRAP 20:

5 Pullups
10 Push-ups
15 Air Squats

I would remove the pullups and push-ups like you did and do the triceps to after the Metcon because I found that if I kept it before the Metcon that doing triceps would destroy my push-ups.

And the same concept applies to when doing lower body, especially if you do isolation exercises for your hamstrings.

Excellent! Makes perfect sense.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Snir Golan

Profile:

thanks for the great info!!!i think that i will follow the same template Paulo, now i just need to actually understand the accessory lifts and supplemental exercises so i know how to do them and what they are

i will also need to make some changes to avoid destroying my shoulder.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
thanks for the great info!!!i think that i will follow the same template Paulo, now i just need to actually understand the accessory lifts and supplemental exercises so i know how to do them and what they are

i will also need to make some changes to avoid destroying my shoulder.
If you need some help with some assistance exercises, let us know. I know that the 5/3/1 book has some examples that he recommends and they are very basic. Stick with compound lifts as much as you can and limit the isolation exercises for things like triceps, biceps, and hamstrings.

If you can do 5/3/1, it is a good program.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Also, here is one of the best 5/3/1 calculators I've found because you can select any version you want and it sets everything up for you. As far as your assistance, that will primarily depend on your goals, such as strength, bulk up, bodybuilding.

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator (WFS)
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Snir Golan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Also, here is one of the best 5/3/1 calculators I've found because you can select any version you want and it sets everything up for you. As far as your assistance, that will primarily depend on your goals, such as strength, bulk up, bodybuilding.

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator (WFS)
wow, thats exactly what i was looking for!!!

for my assistance work, i think that i will try to focus as much as possible on movements that are also present in Crossfit but that do the same thing that Wendler recommends.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
wow, thats exactly what i was looking for!!!

for my assistance work, i think that i will try to focus as much as possible on movements that are also present in Crossfit but that do the same thing that Wendler recommends.
Don't get in the mindset that non-CrossFit exercises (isolation exercises) are evil. If things like Triceps Pushdowns greatly help your bench and shoulder press, they are functional.