CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Steve Higgins

Profile:
Paleo/weight loss question

Ok so I just finished "the paleo solution" by Robb wolf. I'm having issues wrapping my head around the fact that I don't need to count calories....or.... Is that more for people who are trying to maintain. I am 6'3" 335lbs. I've been doing crossfit for a short 4 weeks but have yet to see the scale budge. I'm trying to cut bodyfat so does that mean I should count my cals until I hit my goal weight??? Still so confused........please help clarify
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Paleo/weight loss question

At your weight you don't really need to count calories. You can if you want to get an idea how much you are eating, but as long as you follow the example meals, you will be fine.

Here are some pointers: I like to eat 5 times a day as it helps me keep the hunger down. I have breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. My faovite snacks of late are 2 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 of mixed nuts, and a piece of fruit. Breakfast doesn't have to be the traditional breakfast. I've been just eating a regular meal like I would for lunch or dinner.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Why do you say at my weight I don't need to count calories??
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Higgins View Post
Why do you say at my weight I don't need to count calories??
Because on the Paleo diet, it is very hard to overeat because you aren't eating grains and other foods that have a lot of calories. I've been on the Paleo diet since 2010 and you really have to eat a lot of food to overeat.

If you follow the example foods, you'll be eating about 2,000 calories per day, which will put you well below your maintenance level. I weigh about 155 and for me to maintain my weight I have to eat 2150 calories.

Just give it a try for a few weeks and see how you do and adjust from there. If you still don't feel comfortable, count the calories. I still use MyFitnessPal when I need to check on some foods.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Ok I gotcha now. That makes sense. I'd have to eat a truck load of peppers and broccoli to over eat. I have tried paleo and primal style meals and know I can do it. If only dessert type foods made me dick or something lol. Sometimes I have zero control in that area
Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Try some chocolate covered strawberries, apples, oranges, or pineapple. Put some dark chocolate chips and some almond milk in a bowl and melt them in the microwave. Makes a great snack that is pretty low in calories.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Try some chocolate covered strawberries, apples, oranges, or pineapple. Put some dark chocolate chips and some almond milk in a bowl and melt them in the microwave. Makes a great snack that is pretty low in calories.
Have a look online there are a number of great website that have a lot of recipes on it.

Check out fast paleo dot com

I currently have a lemon slice in the freezer and I top it with Greek yoghurt to it. The other thing that I normally do is mince up some dried fruit till sticky and dip into % dark chocolate. I normally do tablespoon size balls and all I need is 2-3 for a real sweet treat.

I also plan two cheat meals a week, one is because we go out to a friends place and I have no control in what she cooks and then the other is a Saturday or Sunday lunch when I have deep fried chicken and a thick-shake.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Higgins View Post
Ok I gotcha now. That makes sense. I'd have to eat a truck load of peppers and broccoli to over eat. I have tried paleo and primal style meals and know I can do it. If only dessert type foods made me dick or something lol. Sometimes I have zero control in that area
Lmfao!!! I typed this from my iPhone last night. Just re-read it and realized I typed .... " if only dessert type foods made me DICK......"
Lol WOW!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Steve Higgins

Profile:

Is dark chocolate ok on paleo? I could def do the Choco covered fruits. Chocolate is my biggest offender, can't say no to it. I have a friend who just emailed me a bunch of paleo recipe iBooks. I'm heading to the farm store in a few to stock up on veggies.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I'll be the dissenter and say that while you don't need to count calories, you do need to be aware of your portion sizes and really pay attention to whether you're eating "good" paleo or "bad" paleo.

I'm a bigger guy, and I can easily maintain/gain weight on the paleo diet. Yes, I can eat a lot. In fact, I usually eat too much...

1lb steak + two sweet potatoes + mega-salad for dinner? Easy! Will you lose weight/lean out if you eat like that? Nope. (and my breakfasts & lunches are similarly sized...6 eggs + bacon for breakfast, big tub of tuna salad + paleo crackers for lunch)

If you want to be 180lbs, you need to eat like a 180lb person. If you eat like a 250lb person, you'll be 250lbs (and that's why I'm still 250lbs!).

Also, paleo "desserts" are still a dessert! Desserts are to be tasted, not consumed- anything more than a few bites is too much.

And just because you made paleo banana bread doesn't mean it magically has no calories - it's still a loaf of calories and if you eat the whole thing in one day....that's bad Paleo just means that's gluten-free/low in processed foods.