CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Rob Swett

Profile:
Level 1 Certification

How much training should one go through before attending a Level 1 certification seminar? I don't have access to a crossfit facility anywhere close to where I live but I have done the WOD's daily with what I have available at home and in my current gym. I've had no formal instruction though. Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Level 1 Certification

Depends on why you want your L1.

It is a broad general class. I took it with maybe 3 months CrossFit experience at an affiliate. I study for the test just like a college class and walk right through it. I do have book worm tendencies.

Taking and passing the Level 1 is just a matter of studying the materials.

Of course I also got to see the trainers in action and that was when I figured out I had a lot of room for improvement.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Rob Swett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Depends on why you want your L1.

It is a broad general class. I took it with maybe 3 months CrossFit experience at an affiliate. I study for the test just like a college class and walk right through it. I do have book worm tendencies.

Taking and passing the Level 1 is just a matter of studying the materials.

Of course I also got to see the trainers in action and that was when I figured out I had a lot of room for improvement.
Ok . I was just curious if there would be partcipants with a vast amount of experience or more newbies like myself. I want my L1 just for my own benefit to learn the proper form of the exercises etc. I'm not looking to operate a gym or anything like that. I'm retired from state law enforcement so I have lots of time to be able to go and do it. I just got the material to look over and study. I was just wondering kinda what to expect. thanks for your reply.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'd say a basic level of familiarity with the movements and methodology is more important than how much time you've actually spent at a CF gym. You're likely to get more out of it if you've heard/done most of the material before and use the lectures to fill in your knowledge gaps, as opposed to going in with zero base knowledge of CF theories, how to squat, how to program, etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

It is a nice general course that goes over all the basics. But because you are covering so much you won't have a lot of dedicated time to all of the movements. It is a great overview and lays a simple foundation, but if you don't plan on training people, would you be better off spending the money on a coach or going to a good box so that you can learn the movements and get feedback on it down the road?

I imagine the cost of the L1 would get you a few months to a 1/2 year in a box. If they have good coaches you'll probably learn more in the long run.

I did enjoy the cert, good basic info and fun to meet other folks in the community--and there was a wide range of experience and knowledge in the groups. Total newbs to fitness to college athletes.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Rob Swett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
It is a nice general course that goes over all the basics. But because you are covering so much you won't have a lot of dedicated time to all of the movements. It is a great overview and lays a simple foundation, but if you don't plan on training people, would you be better off spending the money on a coach or going to a good box so that you can learn the movements and get feedback on it down the road?

I imagine the cost of the L1 would get you a few months to a 1/2 year in a box. If they have good coaches you'll probably learn more in the long run.

I did enjoy the cert, good basic info and fun to meet other folks in the community--and there was a wide range of experience and knowledge in the groups. Total newbs to fitness to college athletes.
Well I thought of that and thats a great suggestion to just spend the money on training/membership at a good box. the problem is theres no box close to me or what I would consider close. The closest box is 60 miles from me. 120 round trip. Its good to know theres a wide range of experience at the L1 cert. Not sure what I'll do and theres no rush. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I haven't been to the L1 cert for a while, but I would say work on your squat flexibility especially for the overhead squat. If you show up tight and unable to perform the movements correctly as a result, you're going to whole lot less out of the cert.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Ashley Jenkins

Profile:

I attended my L1 Cert class with absolutely no experience. Never stepped foot in a box or did a WOD from the main site. However, I downloaded the manual a couple months out and read tons of articles online prior to. This helped alot. Out of the 75 or so students, I was probably only 1 or 2 with no experience whatsoever. I went into this mainly to gain the basic knowledge because I wanted to start doing WODs, and it just so happened I had a friend that offered to take me along with him to the course. It all worked out. 7 months later, I am doing WODs 4-5x/week and getting better everyday. And one day, later down the road, I am going to open up my own box. Good luck with whatever path you take!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Rob Swett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Jenkins View Post
I attended my L1 Cert class with absolutely no experience. Never stepped foot in a box or did a WOD from the main site. However, I downloaded the manual a couple months out and read tons of articles online prior to. This helped alot. Out of the 75 or so students, I was probably only 1 or 2 with no experience whatsoever. I went into this mainly to gain the basic knowledge because I wanted to start doing WODs, and it just so happened I had a friend that offered to take me along with him to the course. It all worked out. 7 months later, I am doing WODs 4-5x/week and getting better everyday. And one day, later down the road, I am going to open up my own box. Good luck with whatever path you take!
wow! Thats great. That gives me hope then. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Paul R. Gunawan

Profile:

If you don't have an easy access to a local box then I would recommend to look on youtube from any video posted from any legit crossfit users and learn the technique and apply it at regular gym in your area. But take it easy on the weight or just use the bar to get the proper technique first for back, front, overhead squad. After you comfortable with that start learning the clean and snatch. I got into crossfit about 4 years ago but I can only say that I've been training at the box for less than a year combine.
Good luck!