CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Christopher Brophy

Profile:
Crossfit/Reebok

I have been out of crossfit for a couple of years so I am trying to get back into it...has Reebok bought Crossfit? What is the story?

Chris
Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: Crossfit/Reebok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Brophy View Post
I have been out of crossfit for a couple of years so I am trying to get back into it...has Reebok bought Crossfit? What is the story?

Chris
No, Crossfit bought Reebok.

=D
Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Reebok has basically become CrossFit's primary corporate sponsor. They've licensed the name for the Reebok CrossFit line of clothing and gear, and they've put millions of dollars into the CrossFit Games.

According to Reebok, they approached HQ after a bunch of their high-ups got into CrossFit. I think they may have also been looking for an image boost, and the fact that the CrossFit community is generally affluent and dominated by young professionals with disposable income probably helped too.

Whatever the motivation, it's been great for the community. What the Games has become is nothing short of amazing, and I don't see any way that it could have grown this quickly without Reebok's money and connections (ESPN?). They're not just funding the Games either; Reebok sponsors just about every local competition that approaches them about it. Affiliates also get to reap the benefits of an international marketing campaign they aren't paying a dime for, and we get some cool gear out of it to boot.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 08-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I'm curious, why ask the question? It isn't like your local box is Reebok CrossFit or Reebok is plastered all over CF.com?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Christopher Brophy

Profile:

Just curious like I indicated...can I not ask the question? Did not really see any information of the relationship but now I do
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I'm curious, why ask the question? It isn't like your local box is Reebok CrossFit or Reebok is plastered all over CF.com?
i can understand the question. if you are just now getting back into it because you come across a video of the games, you see one of the reebok "sport of fitness" commercials on TV, or you attempt to buy some clothing...
Old 09-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #7
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

speaking as a professional marketer, (i'm speculating) Reebok are something called a 'title' sponsor' usually the highest paying sponsor when comes with some nice restrictions, such as Crossfit as a 'brand' can't be endorsed by other sporting/shoe brands.

regardless, its a really smart move by Reebok as they've suffered from being kind of 'lame' since the days of reebok pumps, Crossfit might just be reeboks saving grace, making it more relevant and positioning the brand as being 'hard core' and 'real fitness' compared to Nike who are now just fashion or under armour who are more about team sports.

its also probably made the founding fathers of Crossfit very very wealthy (and deservedly so), especially seeing as Reebok themselves have their own affiliate box and dedicated store.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Ummm Nike is more then fashion. Clearly you haven't worn either their lifting or running shoes. I used to wear adidas or NB because I didn't buy into the Nike fad at first, gave them a try and have never looked back.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Ummm Nike is more then fashion. Clearly you haven't worn either their lifting or running shoes. I used to wear adidas or NB because I didn't buy into the Nike fad at first, gave them a try and have never looked back.
not to get into the details, suffice to say Nike are actually a client. you're not incorrect, but Nike expanded beyond 'true' sports, they believe that 'anyone with a body can do sports, and movement of any kind is a sport, therefore everyone is an athlete'. of course they have their lifting and running shoes and football/soccer shoes, but there are other clothing and shoes which have nothing to do with sports, and arguably this part of their range is increasing. e.g. Nike fuel band is a technological innovation, but not really what a 'hardcore' athlete would use. likewise Nike training club etc.

e.g. http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=shop,men_sportswear (WFS)

Nike's ads' which are what you're referencing in the 'nike fad' however, i agree , are amazing and embody the spirit of sportmenship. just don't confuse this with the fact that as a public company their key objective is to sell stuff, if you like their stuff and feel it benefits you all the more merrier.

I think Nike are still a sports brand in the conventional sense, but they've digressed and become more fashion, which is the point i was trying to make, in some instances they probably haven't forgotten their roots, but so of their collections are simply streetwear - http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=sh...99/pgid-376143 (WFS)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Yeah point taken, as you point out with the fuel band. haha talk about in the business to sell useless stuff. Although CrossFit does the same thing start doing WODs now your're an athlete so who knows.

Last edited by Michael R. Miller : 09-02-2012 at 07:34 PM.