CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Thanh Perez

Profile:
Vitamix vs Juicer

Hi

I started juicing a few weeks ago and recently purchased a Vitamix. I was sold after the Rep doing the Demos made some smoothies that were pretty good. Now, these are very filling and as I've read, the intake of fiber may be too high. Question is should I continue to use the Vitamix over the Juicer? It was an expensive purchase so I want to make sure I get my Moneys worth. Otherwise I'll return it and keep juicing...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Re: Vitamix vs Juicer

Vitamix is superior to a juicer in every way shape or form. If you're using both fruit and vegetables, there is no too high of an intake. Cram good stuff in that thing and drink it to your heart's content. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
John C Corona

Profile:

Vitamix is the best thing ever, I use it daily. They both have strengths. I haven't made my favorite carrot juice since I got my vitamix, I dont ever want to clean that juicer again...

Fiber, yes, I think I have consumed too much. I started to irritate that ever so precious back end of mine. Pretty much was going to bathroom like 4 or 5 times a day. I was placing close to a pound of greens in my smoothie at a time, and doing that a few times a day. I have dialed it back to about a pound of greens total per day, and am fine, with regular movements. You, most likely, are not crazy like me, but I was experimenting, shoot me.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Thanh Perez

Profile:

Great. looks like I'll be keeping the Vitamix. What recepies you guys have? I have been putting the same stuff I put in the Juicer on the Vitamix and feels very fibery and filling. I'm trying to make it smooth enough to chug the whole thing in one sitting.

Thanks for the input guys. My goal is to lose 25lbs
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Google it. There are tons of recipes out there, just do a quick search and you'll get more than you know what to do with.

Off the top of my head, tomatoes and carrots go well with similar colored fruit (strawberries, oranges etc). Spinach can be blended into everything and won't change the taste much at all, I believe celery is the same way.
Milk (coconut, almond, dairy, whatever you like), peanut butter, frozen banana, spinach, cinnamon and ground ginger is what I usually do every morning. Delicious.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
John C Corona

Profile:

I feel the base needs to be bananas, very over ripe with plenty of spots on them (and they are cheap$$). Then I add other fruits depending on how I want to spin it. Brian's right about spinach, its my goto green. Celery, start with one stalk, then when you get use to it, go to 2. I use 3 & 4 stalks, but I've built up to it cause they change the taste. Different kinds of sprouts I've been doing lately, but they screw the taste up, so start light.

5 bananas, (insert other fruits here: a cup or two of mangoes, or cherries, or pineapple, blueberries), 1/2 lb spinach, and about 12 oz of water....pretty much 600 some calories of goodness. I do try and keep it to just one, two or three fruits per smoothie, but the supermarket has a bag of mixed frozen fruits, that I sometimes just dump a few cups of that in for ease.

Insane desert: few frozen bananas and water - bamn, almost like banana ice cream shake.

Once you go with the starchy tubers like carrots or beets, you have to stick with just one or two, or else it will be chunky like you said. You will not get that smoothness like carrot or beet juice. Change up the greens, try chard, kale, parsley, cilantro, mint. Things like Kale you'll have to remove the stalks cause of the harsh bitterness...you'll learn.

Havent tried cinnamon or the spices yet....yum. I dont do the different milks, but they do make it taste better.

Last edited by John C Corona : 08-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
MikeLee

Profile:

I used to have a magic bullet for making my green smoothies, but about 2 months ago I got a Blendtec which I have no regrets purchasing. I use it about 1-2 times a day. Check your Costco if you are a member...they have some deals on it going on.

I usually go to Costco once a week and get the 2.5 lb bag of Baby Spinach and Baby Kale. All my smoothies have spinach and kale. Sometimes some frozen blueberries for taste and texture. I always put in a tablespoon or so of coconut oil too absorb nutrients better. Cucumbers and beets once in a while. Doesn't taste the greatest but I just chug them anyways. The blendtec makes it smooth enough so it goes down easy.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Thanh Perez

Profile:

great thanks. I guess keep the Vitamix and get rid of the Juicer and Magic Bullet
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Steve M Herman

Profile:

Man I have been dragging my feet on a vitamix or blendtec for like a year now. I just worry it will end up being an expensive piece of counter top art.

I had finally decided a few weeks ago that I was going to get a vitamix at Costco, but the one near my home didn't have any for sale. They only had Blendtec. So I chickened out. $300 - $400 is a pretty major purchase in my house for something that we have never used before.

We throw away so much produce cause we don't eat it fast enough. That 2.5 lb tub of Costco spinach is a perfect example. I get through half of it before it starts getting slimy. Yet I buy it there cause it is fresher than the grocery store. Seems like my local grocers I sometimes end up with only a day or two before the produce starts getting bad.

Now seeing this thread its got me itching to go get one.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
John C Corona

Profile:

As much as I love mine, and if it broke, I would buy another in heartbeat, it IS difficult for me to SELL it to others (but Ill try). $500+ for a 'blender' is laughable, just ridiculous. Especially if you do not currently have a habit of blending.

When it comes to the softer greens, like spinach, your standard blender will work. A few bananas, water, and the rest of your 'before going bad' spinach, is a great shake. The small bits of spinach are not noticable. Believe me, I burned 3 $50.00 blenders before I bought the vitamix. But regular blenders cant process carrots or celery, or a tons of different raw veggies that well.

The vitamix opens up a world of nutrients that you might not eat regularly. It also enables you to consume more than you would normally. More importantly, it blends RAW veggies. Your nutrient intake can skyrocket. Like it takes forever to chew a large salad. 3 bananas, a lemon, an orange, a kiwi, a beet, half pound of spinach, little hemp protein powder, with some water and BAMN, PWO shake, all natural. Save the chewing for your steak (even though theres you tube videos of people blending their meat too).

Do I even need to tell you that thing makes sorbet in like 30 seconds. My mango tree drops so much fruit, I cant consume it fast enough, so you gotta freeze it, and bamn, sorbet for months.