CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Caine Peters

Profile:
Gslp Vs 5/3/1

Hey dudes been doing greyskull lp for some time, i read the 5/3/1 book and inthought it was a great read with a wee bit more advice especially on assistance, my question is what do the programs look to achieve more of? Who has more success? And also who has benifited better on wendlers assistance compared to jps? Feedback would be great! I was thinking of blending wendlers assistance exersizes and rep schemes with the gslp main lifts i just dont feel even when i go all out 2xreps jist doesnt feel enough but if someone has succeeded in this scheme please let me know, goal is to build strength for mains and hypotrophy for assistance!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gslp Vs 5/3/1

I was thinking of blending wendlers assistance exersizes and rep schemes with the gslp main lifts i just dont feel even when i go all out 2xreps jist doesnt feel enough but if someone has succeeded in this scheme please let me know, goal is to build strength for mains and hypotrophy for assistance!

Please try that again with a little better punctuation--I don't know what you're trying to say.

Both programs try to achieve the same thing--strength on big lifts plus conditioning. 5/3/1 allows for a little more flexibility on assistance work, but the 2nd edition GSLP e-book has all kinds of different plug-ins you can use for different goals.

I did GSLP for a little over a year and had great gains with it before switching to 5/3/1 because my grad school schedule plus rugby training left me feeling beat down from the 5-5-5+ sets, and workouts were taking me too long because I was doing a 2x per week setup with press/squat one day and bench/deadlift the other.

With 5/3/1 I can adjust volume very easily by adding or cutting assistance work, and with only one main lift per day (and only one really hard set) I felt a lot fresher, and could get in and out of the gym faster.

That being said, there's no reason you can't add assistance work on to GSLP if you're recovering from it ok.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Caine Peters

Profile:

Sorry i should of been a bit more clear, i am asking what people would think would be better in the way of the rep schemes for example wendler recomends dips weighted 50 all up by what ever sets you want, JP recomends 2x6-8 for me any way i feel like thats not enough but i dont want to over do it! Its pretty much the same with all the exersizes wendler seems to recomend higher rep schemes?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

You might want to re-read the GSLP Plug-Ins chapter. In there he talks about how GSLP is completely open-ended with regard to assistance work -- or plug-ins to use JP's preferred terminology. He makes it clear in there that his suggested exercises and set/rep schemes are just suggestions to get you started and that his actual recommendations would vary from individual to individual. Regarding the lower volume, he tends toward this approach because he's adamant about "not doing volume for the sake of doing volume." That's his style so his basic recommendations follow that but it's clear that he has no problem with an individual changing it up for something that works better for them.

Regarding the rep schemes for dips, GSLP is targeted more towards relative beginners whereas 5/3/1 is more advanced which might explain the difference. 50 weighted dips wouldn't be possible for most beginners. 50 bodyweight dips would be a challenge for most beginners. I tried 5/3/1 as a relative beginner and his dips and chins recommendations were just way out of the ballpark for what I could handle. If you are at the point where you can handle that volume, I don't think there is anything incompatible with using the 5/3/1 recommendations with GSLP.

Last edited by David Allen Rogers : 08-23-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
You might want to re-read the GSLP Plug-Ins chapter. In there he talks about how GSLP is completely open-ended with regard to assistance work -- or plug-ins to use JP's preferred terminology. He makes it clear in there that his suggested exercises and set/rep schemes are just suggestions to get you started and that his actual recommendations would vary from individual to individual. Regarding the lower volume, he tends toward this approach because he's adamant about "not doing volume for the sake of doing volume." That's his style so his basic recommendations follow that but it's clear that he has no problem with an individual changing it up for something that works better for them.

Regarding the rep schemes for dips, GSLP is targeted more towards relative beginners whereas 5/3/1 is more advanced which might explain the difference. 50 weighted dips wouldn't be possible for most beginners. 50 bodyweight dips would be a challenge for most beginners. I tried 5/3/1 as a relative beginner and his dips and chins recommendations were just way out of the ballpark for what I could handle. If you are at the point where you can handle that volume, I don't think there is anything incompatible with using the 5/3/1 recommendations with GSLP.
Yeah your right about the dips, but he does say to turn them into as many sets as you like, i think gslp main lifts with 5/3/1 assistance will be a perfect strength/hypotrophy hybrid if anyone has had sucess in this way or disagrees please let me know!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I don't have my 5/3/1 book in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Wendler recommends 50 total reps on dips and chins, not 50 per set. And those 50 would include the handful you do as warmup or in between sets on bench and press.

Obviously building up to 50 should be a gradual thing, and if you go that route it's going to limit the amount of weight you can use. It's really a matter of what you're trying to accomplish....if it's muscular endurance, work up to 5 sets of 10 at a lighter weight. If it's pure strength to assist with pressing and benching, then maybe you do 3 sets of weighted dips/chins at the normal 5/3/1 percentages. Or do chins or dips with a 5-5-5+ linear progression. Lots of different ways to play with things.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

When you can rep 50 dips straight for a set I will have to post this to you

Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
When you can rep 50 dips straight for a set I will have to post this to you

Gahhh i must of done a typo! Its 50 weighted dips partitioned to as little sets as possible eg 2x25 or 2x20 1x10 all weighted for withoutnweights its 100 same
Protocol, so in saying this eric it does look like a more
Hypotrophic focus yes? So i guess ill do a hybrid style gslp see how i go!!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I don't have my 5/3/1 book in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Wendler recommends 50 total reps on dips and chins, not 50 per set. And those 50 would include the handful you do as warmup or in between sets on bench and press.
Right. Obviously it is 50 total and not in a single set! My point was that I think GSLP is written from the perspective of providing starting points and I don't think anyone would suggest 50 weighted or 100 unweighted dips every workout as a starting point even if you split it out to singles.

In any case, let us know how it turns out, Caine!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
Right. Obviously it is 50 total and not in a single set! My point was that I think GSLP is written from the perspective of providing starting points and I don't think anyone would suggest 50 weighted or 100 unweighted dips every workout as a starting point even if you split it out to singles.

In any case, let us know how it turns out, Caine!
will do my friend i think it will be a great mix to get the pure strength coming from your main lifts with the assistance with a more hypertrophic focus best of both worlds i say!!!??