CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-20-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
Paul M

Profile:

Hey All,

I know that Caloric Restriction diets have come up in the past on the board. There's a new study out which shows some pretty remarkable stuff. Here's one of the news stories about it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Apr19.html

-Paul
Old 04-20-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Viking Paul-

I know that C.R. has been a component of the CrossFit lifestyle for some. While I think I tread close to C.R. on occasion, I don’t count my calories and instead look at my mental focus and ability to train like a madman. Instead of looking at my kitchen scale and the number of broccoli heads I can have after 2:00pm, I ask – How am I managing my energy?

I realize that this will frost a few of my friends here, but I find this practice very counter intuitive and borderline ridiculous. I heard reports of those on C.R. regimes, will occasionally sport gloves in the summer because they have cold hands. I laughed when I heard a story of a man who raided the neighbor’s kitchen because the dinner party service was behind HIS schedule. Males practicing C.R. have reported periods of reduced libido. Sound good to you?

My wish for any athlete is abundant energy, a lean muscular physique with health risk factors worthy of a blue ribbon. I have discovered that with consumption of unprocessed foods, athletes in practice will naturally arrive at the proper calorie levels most of the time.

As I see it there is a lot of wiggle room between eating like a pig and the demands of eating 1700kcals per day.

I don’t know about you but it takes some fuel to run this truck.

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 04-20-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
An article I read a while back noted wryly that you may or may not actually live longer, but it will sure as hell feel like it. Personally, I hate being hungry.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
Paul M

Profile:

Hey All,

I've never really experimented with CRAN dieting in the past, though I suspect that I average fewer calories on my quasi-paleo diet than what I'd get with a more standard diet.

I actually think that the CRAN folks are swinging too far to one side of the diet/exercise spectrum. A lot of the same effects of the caloric-restricted diet can be had through exercise and a diet better than the typical American diet. I have a suspicion that the most important indicator of lifespan might be resting heartrate. CRAN certainly lowers that, but so does exercise.

Being fit and living longer that way is certainly more appealing, but you have to admit that those studies are a bit thought provoking!

-Paul
Old 04-21-2004, 01:21 AM   #5
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Who wants to live longer than their children anyway?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Intermittent fasting sems to give ALL the benefits of CRAN without the downsides like low body temp and withering away.
Robb
Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

Robb, that is very interesting, I used to fast occasionally years ago. What kind of fast, how long, and how often?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
I stand firm to my previous post, but here is some additioinal support to what Robb mentioned.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993668
Old 04-23-2004, 03:40 AM   #9
Brian Hand

Profile:

Yikes, fasting every other day would be a nightmare. I was picturing something much different, like a few days fasting every few months.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
Paul Kayley

Profile:
I think once or twice per week for the first 3/4 of the day is a reasonably healthy and a more natural eating pattern.