CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Brian Patrick

Profile:
SI Joint Dysfunction Help

So I have started going to a chiropractor, 1 visit so far, because I have been experiencing pain at the base of my spine on the right side for about a week now. He doesn't have an answer so he is just running through the basic adjustments, which helped. But through some online research I'm pretty sure that I'm experiencing SI Joint Dysfunction.

I can't afford both physical therapy and chiropractic care so I'm choosing to go with my chiropractor and a personal therapy routine.

I was just wondering what stretches or exercises you would recommend and to anyone who has experienced SI Joint Dysfunction, how long it took you to recover and how you did it.

I can still lift, it feels uncomfortable, but my chiropractor said that I can still do it. I'm an olympic lifter and snatching doesn't affect me at all but heavy clean and jerks, we'll just say that it takes a lot of nerve to attempt anything over 175 right now.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Brent Latimer

Profile:
Re: SI Joint Dysfunction Help

I've been struggling with SI mobility issues for over 2 years... should have resolved them by now but I haven't been diligent with the exercises after I have relief/no issues for a couple weeks.

What I have been told by both the chiro and physio people is that mobility on these joints is bad, mine gets 'hung up'

Physio had me doing TA muscle exercises (not sure exactly what it is). The cue the phyiso girl gave me was to imagine jumping into very cold water (only applies to males). She told me not to use my abdominal muscles but rather contract the muscle in isolation. Apparently it is easiest laying on the back with knees bent at 90.
I remember seeing a Kelly Starrett video about 'setting the floor' before lifting, it sounds like this is a similar if not the exact same contraction.

I've also been given some bands to do several strengthening exercises, abduction, aduction of the legs in all directions. I find wrapping a band around both legs and doing side steps slowly helps the most (glute med? i think). Also doing 'skaters' helps too.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have the terminology perfect.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Larry Bruce

Profile:

I use a foam roller (a very sturdy foam roller) on by back. When it gets to my SI I work the area a bit and usually get an adjustment. Also can get it sometimes standing straight and pushing out my hips forward.

Certainly I would work on stretching the glutes, as that can help. Would hold off on doing squats and deadlifts if your SI is the problem.

http://deansomerset.com/2011/10/17/s...-dysfunctions/ (wfs)
Highly descriptive, with rehab exercises.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Patrick View Post
So I have started going to a chiropractor, 1 visit so far, because I have been experiencing pain at the base of my spine on the right side for about a week now. He doesn't have an answer so he is just running through the basic adjustments, which helped. But through some online research I'm pretty sure that I'm experiencing SI Joint Dysfunction.

I can't afford both physical therapy and chiropractic care so I'm choosing to go with my chiropractor and a personal therapy routine.

I was just wondering what stretches or exercises you would recommend and to anyone who has experienced SI Joint Dysfunction, how long it took you to recover and how you did it.

I can still lift, it feels uncomfortable, but my chiropractor said that I can still do it. I'm an olympic lifter and snatching doesn't affect me at all but heavy clean and jerks, we'll just say that it takes a lot of nerve to attempt anything over 175 right now.

Any help would be appreciated
Google posas muscle stretching
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Brent Latimer

Profile:

also found yoga to be very helpful.

Yoga Today has a routine specifically for the SI joint. My trouble is finding the time for yoga, not easy finding a free hour between work, rugby, eating and sleep...
Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Google posterior sling muscles -- they cross the SI joint and progressive exercises will help strengthen that up
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Brent Latimer

Profile:

Thank you very much Steven

As I just posted here your tidbit of information about posterior sling stabilization exercises lead me to this simple stability exercise.

Easy to do when I wake up and before I fall asleep. Eventually I'll progress to some others but I find this one effective as it is very difficult for my body to compensate with other muscles with this one (realizing more and more how much I've been compensating with bad mechanics!)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Daniel Pope

Profile:

In addition to what others are saying I'd look into improving your hip internal rotation (if that is limited). That being said, pain on one side of the low back/hip is not also indicative of SI joint issues. I'd try to find 1 qualified professional and get treament. Several PT places have sliding scale payments as well.

Hope that helps,
Dan Pope www.fitnesspainfree.com