CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Dan Douglas

Profile:
What does EMOM develop?

How do you use this? speed work? oly lifts? a quick circuit?

Im not sure whats going on with this, but I do like to do it.

Am I developing any specific system, or maybe getting better practice with the forced rest... No idea...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: What does EMOM develop?

It depends on what you do. There are a couple of different ways that people do this:

1) EMOM do the same number of reps as the number of minutes. This is usually referred to as a 'death by ____'. So, on the first minute, you do one rep, on the second you do 2 reps, etc.

2) EMOM do a prescribed number of reps.

Both versions allow for a lot of work to be accumulated quickly, and for the workout to not take forever and ever. If you are ever in a rush for time, it's a great way to get things done. They both allow for a lot of practice of the specified movements as well.

In the death by case, you stress your body's ability to recover so that you can handle greater workloads with less rest. As the number of reps increase, there will be less time to rest. I used to use this for training my wrestlers so that they would get used to the short breaks throughout their freestyle matches.

In the set reps case, you can set it up to practice movements (like doing Oly lifting, but not at maximal loads), or again to just accumulate volume. An easy way to build up volume for bodyweight exercises like pull ups/chin ups, push ups, muscle ups, etc. is to do 20 minutes with every minute on the minute doing a few reps. If you were to do 5 pull ups every minute, you would accumulate 100 reps over the course of the 20 minutes.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
PaulEwing

Profile:

In my classes we do EMOM warm-ups sometimes. The other day we did a 7 minute EMOM of 5 burpees and 10 sit-ups. Wasn't really a workout but it definitely got the blood flowing before a short wod like Grace.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It's sorta like doing interval training with running or anything else...i.e. there's a difference between running 4x400m with a 1 minute rest in between as opposed to running 1600m. Interval training (like EMOM workouts) tend to help your ability to sustain 90-100% efforts for increasingly longer periods of time.

I've been working something similar with burpees a few times a week lately...I started out doing 10 burpees on the minute for 4 minutes, then 5 minutes, then went to 11 per minute for 4 minutes, then 5 minutes, and so on, and am now up to doing 14 per minute for 5 minutes and they don't really feel any harder than when I was doing 10x4. I figure once I can do 20+ per minute for 5 minutes I'll be in better shape than when I started.

When I was followed OPT's programming a few years back he did a Catalyst-influenced Oly cycle where he would do stuff like this (general idea, may be off slightly on the percentages):
C&J singles EMOM for 15 minutes: first 5 minutes at 65% of 1RM, next 5 at 70% of 1RM, last 5 at 75% of 1RM
Then the next week it would be 12 minutes: first 4 at 70%, next 4 at 75%, last 4 at 80%
Then, 9 minutes: first 3 at 75%, next 3 at 80%, last 3 at 85%

The basic idea there was to get you a decent number of reps at increasing percentages of your 1RM but with enough rest to where you didn't have to worry about failing reps. And after that cycle was over, you'd retest 1RM and repeat a similar cycle.

EMOM-type stuff is also what Westside Barbell typically uses for their DE work...sets of 2-3 reps at 50-60% of your 1RM for 8-10 minutes, where you focus on speed of the bar in each rep.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Douglas View Post
How do you use this? speed work? oly lifts? a quick circuit?

Im not sure whats going on with this, but I do like to do it.

Am I developing any specific system, or maybe getting better practice with the forced rest... No idea...
I do it for the O-lifts, 10 min EMOM with 80-85%. Goal is 2 reps every minute. Allows you to focus on form and get a nice fatigue going.

I know high rep Oly's are apart of CrossFit but I do not do them unless its close to a competition. So this helps with that to some extent.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I think you will find this link useful:
http://www.travisstoetzel.com/e-m-o-...and-endurance/ f.w.safe
personally I also think that once you are strong enough and you are not trying to push 1RM too much EMOM is a preffered option for many lifts. You can still do 1RM test from time to time but EMOM will help you to go through metcons better. It is also very easy to come up with metcon on the fly using EMOM, "Kalsu" for example
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Some oly programs use EMOM training to improve consistency at relatively heavy weights.

Katherine
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

So just out of curiosity I have seen quite a bit of EMOM stuff ever since the Rich Froning vid, you guys do realize this is just ONE aspect of his training and doing it is not going to make you into a beast. Its a great protocol and I love it but just saying there is so much more to his training why take away that one idea.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
So just out of curiosity I have seen quite a bit of EMOM stuff ever since the Rich Froning vid, you guys do realize this is just ONE aspect of his training and doing it is not going to make you into a beast. Its a great protocol and I love it but just saying there is so much more to his training why take away that one idea.
Because it has benefits?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Yes, absolutely. Also having a bromance with two guys from the gym. I think I'm going to ask one to come live with me. My wife shouldn't mind.