CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Marc Juliano

Profile:
Low Back pain only at night while i sleep, cant sleep... HELP!

Hi Everyone,

Its 3am and this is probably 12th night of terrible sleep due to low back pain. Figured I'd post instead of rolling around in bed looking at the ceiling... Also icing the back atm, feels a little better.

So the pain started about a week or 2 before i started Xfitting again, most likely happened at work while lifting up a patient ( I am a firefighter/paramedic). I do have a herniated L5/S1 and a bulged L4/L5 from 2009 MRI, work injury of course.

Anywho, i had been sleeping great prior to this for a few months, march/april/may were notably good. Slept like a baby most nights without any meds. Sometimes i will take a Mobic to help me sleep with 50mg of benadryl to knock me out. Even that is not working. After an hour or 3 i start tossing and turning b/c the low back tightens up and gets into about a 2/10 on the pain scale and is a constant dull ache.

I have been foam rolling my back 2x/day for over 2 years now but even that doesnt seem to touch this. Aside from breaking out my inversion table i am out of ideas. I am a big chiro propponent and like to go once every week or so. Have not been getting much movement since this started up though and especially not one of those magical adjustments where it pops and your in instant bliss because it was exactly what you needed.

I stretch out after my workouts
Foam roll upon waking/before bed
Sleep with 2 pillows under my knees
And i havent done anything in particular that made me go "ouch"
After a few hours sleep back goes into a 2/10 tightness/ache that keeps me awake, meds/no meds
Zero pain all day and while working out
Going light/careful on all my lifts

My doc thinks i just may be getting to the point where i need one of them fancy sleep number beds that moves all around and can really help decompress as you sleep. They are like $4k so i dont want go jump right into that solution.

If anyone has any insights/ideas please let me know. Going to get the inversion table back in the mix... The $20 foam roller retired the $300 table 2 years ago and made it obsolete but cant hurt throwing it back in the mix.

Thanks Alot,

Marc

Last edited by Marc Juliano : 07-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Marc Juliano

Profile:
Re: Low Back pain only at night while i sleep, cant sleep... HELP!

Tried some numbing patches, Solonpas, still didnt cut the mustard. 4am rolled around and the low back discomfort was there but numb. If anyone has anything at all I will try it, getting desperate at this point!!! I miss my sleep!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Well, I had back surgery to fix the same problem; but despite the fact that it was 100% successful, there's a huge aversion to surgery for a lot of people. Did your doctor address that aspect?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

You can get a lower end c2 queen size sleep number bed for less than $1200. I don't know all the differences between models, but they definitely have models way less than $4k.

My brother swears by his. He had low back pain for a few years, getting progressively worse. After the first nights sleep on it his pain was severely diminished. He has been using it now for at least 6 months, still no pain. I'm definitely going to look at one for myself.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Michael Burke

Profile:

Something that might help is experimenting with sleeping on your side with pillows between your legs. Like a lot of them.

When my sciatica was real bad sleeping like that or else on my back with my legs supported by pillows up to 90 degrees (like sitting in a chair, but laying down)...were the only ways I could sleep.

It's a huge challenge even then, though. There was a brief time I actually would set an alarm half way through the night to get up and walk around before returning to bed.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Bill Peabody

Profile:

Have you checked out Mobility WOD?

wfs - http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/03/a...right-bed.html

wfs - http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/e...what-your.html

Do you stretch an or roll your hips, psoas, it bands?

wfs - http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/08/e...iker-hips.html
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Marc Juliano

Profile:

Matt, I was never really a surgery candidate. My sciatica was never too terrible and its been gone for almost 2 years now. This is the only lingering problem from my discs.

Dave, I will look into some of the lower models but think the king with the separate beds is my only real choice because I doubt my GF will want to sleep at my drastic angles. Think this bed will be a big help though.

Michael, I will try the side deal with lots of pillows. I think the pillows under my knees might do the trick though. Been using 2 for the longest to get my knees up... might be time to step up to 4/5!

Bill, I stretch and foam roll all that stuff... but there is always room for improvement. Going to give your sight a thorough read and try your exercises!

Thanks for all the input fellas! I will report back and let you all know how the next few nights go!

-marc
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

Marc,

Pretty much identical to your situation here.

I found a lot of relief with psoas work as mentioned above (MWOD).

I also started doing plank holds, hollow body holds, and superman holds into my warmups. That helped a lot too.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

In general, the "spot" of the pain is not always the source of pain.

One of the big examples is limitations in hip and thoracic mobility aggravating low back pain. For example, if your T-spine mobility decreases, your L-spine tends to make up some of the range of motion thus increase instability and aggravation of prior injuries such as herniated or bulging discs. Foam rolling may only contribute to the instability and thus you're pretty much making things worse. The muscles may tighten up for a reason you know...

When addressing LBP the first thing you should do is look at some of the mobility issues in hips or T-spine and work on them. Weak glutes (both maximus and medius), and/over overactive/tight psoas major and hip flexors

Generally speaking with the low back you want to avoid foam rolling for a while and work on stability type exercises. Mobility type work tends to be fine such as the stuff from the spinal section here

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ur-lower-back/

So... that's fairly general things... but yeah... should help you think about these types of things in a better way as opposed to throwing the foam roller at it which is often just a bad idea
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Marc Juliano

Profile:

Thanks again for all the help guys. I got a 4 inch memory foam pad out of storage and put on top of my bed... its working like a dream! So the bed being too firm may have been one of the biggest issue. Still reviewing and trying to integrate the mobility WOD stuff too.

thanks again everyone,

Marc