CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Cody Ryan Long

Profile:
Firefighter Programming?

I tried looking around for this specific topic, but no one really talked about it, at least what I could see.

So here's the question, what do you firefighters do for your programming? This is kind of a catch all and just see what everyone is doing. Because of work schedules and such, I'm curious is people go all out on duty, or do something light, or something else. Where I live the fire departments are 24hr on and 48hr off. So have at it.

(Oh, and by the way, I'm not a firefighter yet, but I'm very close to becoming one, again that is.)
Philippians 4:13~ I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
John Donovan

Profile:
Re: Firefighter Programming?

You can usually get away with a good hard workout but you don't want to get too crazy on duty since nothing kicks your butt like a good house fire. I would certainly perform WODs at the station but save the really tough ones for off duty. You don't want to drag down your crew because you're gassed from a tough workout.
32/5'10"/233. 500m row-1:39/1000m row-3:53/2k row- 8:12/DL-495, FS-325, Back squat- 440, Press-205, Snatch-96kg, C&J-121Kg, 5k run- 27:30
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Bob Herald

Profile:
Re: Firefighter Programming?

I've been on the job 11 years. I do wendlers 5/3/1 then conditioning for me is boxing and jiujitsu . Sometimes I'll do sled drags and tire flips. Some of the guys like climbing stairs with a 60-80 lb weighted vest.

We have a few crossfit guys, but the majority are Old school meatheads. LOL.

I'm 24\ 48 and I do work out on shift when my lifting days falls on a work day, but I don't prefer this. Since my departments calls ( as are most) are 90% medical, 9% fire alarms, and %1 actual fires... Most of our calls aren't physically taxing. Unless you count carrying a fat guy down stairs.

I prefer to work out off duty because my workouts are always interrupted by med calls or alarms. Then you have to warm up all over again. But we are required to work out for an hour per shift , so I do workout on shift sometimes. And if I don't weight train, I sled drag or tire flip. Or sometimes I just stretch.

The nice part about working out at the firehouse is you don't have to have commercial gym etiquette . I can chalk my hands, swear, drop weights and take my shirt off LOL