CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:
Military Boot Running

I dont know if this is under the right thread, if not, my apologies, ill gladly have it moved.

So before anyone refers me to the "search" function ive entitled this thread the very key words I used to get my answer. Since I am writing this I found none, or at least none that answered my questions.

Now, I am 30 years old, 5'8", 185lbs and been CrossFitting now since Oct. '07. I am currently training for SWCC selection which the 5 day period will be in VA in Nov. with the actual "School" slated to start in Feb. So plenty of time to work on my goats which are: Running, Running and....yep, Running. Running in boots on sand, no less. So now I've taken something I am no good at and added two factors that suck on any normal basis for an average runner anyway.

I've been throwing in one(1) 45-60 mins boot run every week, for now, aside from CF style metcons, although on the long end, a small amount of WSB lifts and some Oly's...ya know, to keep the muscles fresh, this is my program. Diet is good and clean, yadda yadda...my issue is with the running. My feet keep falling asleep. I dont know why I've played with the running style and I've also played with lace tightness...to no avail. I've gone from standard lace & boot tightness to very loose, the loosest was this past weekend and still...its always around minutes 25-30ish. It starts with my right, very faintly, then more pronounced than works over to my left foot. After a good few minutes I have to stop...walk it out for a few minutes and go at it again but it keeps happening. I am trying to build up to a non stop 45-60 minute run and I cant even get to that because my feet are failing me now! Id hate to have to buy yet another boot, but if necessary I will but I also dont want to run in anything lighter than will be expected of me at SWCC school. So im reaching out here to see if anyone has experiece in this, any tips and sage advice from operators who eat kevlar for dinner and have a full beard the next day, anything that will make "Boot Running" easier in anyway would be much appreciated...OH...asides from the "Just dont run in boots" remark, since that wont help me here. Thanks.

- Nick
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Evan Phillips

Profile:
Re: Military Boot Running

Not sure if you're allowed to wear your own socks during SWCCS, but I've found thick winter weight socks help me out a lot during boot runs. As for the kevlar eating bearded men: they'd say, "press"...

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Phillips View Post
Not sure if you're allowed to wear your own socks during SWCCS, but I've found thick winter weight socks help me out a lot during boot runs. As for the kevlar eating bearded men: they'd say, "press"...

Good luck!

Well, I actually havent tried that. Ill throw on some thicker socks and see how that helps also. And as far as "press"...I'd love to but I cant run fast without feeling my feet...or at least I dont think so...

- Nick
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I'd check with a doc to find out why your foot is falling asleep. That's kinda weird, especially if it gets to the point where you have to stop. Does the same thing happen in sneakers?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I'd check with a doc to find out why your foot is falling asleep. That's kinda weird, especially if it gets to the point where you have to stop. Does the same thing happen in sneakers?

Nope. This only happens when I run in boots and only after about 25-30 minutes. Im suspecting its either the boot or...i need new feet.

Nick
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
David Kiesling

Profile:

Sounds like too much pressure on a nerve around your ankle or above? Loosening laces might not help with that. It would explain why you can run in sneakers.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Michael Henry

Profile:

How are you at running in running shoes? Times/pace/distance whatever? And I assume you can do 60 minutes without your feet falling asleep?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Don't lace the boots over the arch of the foot, skip the lace holes that would constrict the top of the foot and force the arch down.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well i never tried eating kevlar to grow a beard but i will give it a shot... first, are you doing your boot runs on the street, cross country, or where? the key to what you stated about doing was "boots in sand", and the sand helps alot as the boots are hard and restrice ankle mobility. but sure to where boots that give you as much flex in the ankles as possible. run on as soft a surface as possible. and when you lace your boots don't lace the over the tops of your feet. go up the side over the instep, one lose wrap around ankles, cinch with know so that everything below stays that way (the slack of the entire boot doesn't even out from toe to top), and then lace the top part of your boot tight. when it starts to get tight, loosen it. no matter how tight or loose you start out, as you go your feet and legs are going to swell. that tightness can decrease circulation (i.e., feet fall asleep). so start tight and loosen as you go. hope some of this helps.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
well i never tried eating kevlar to grow a beard but i will give it a shot... first, are you doing your boot runs on the street, cross country, or where? the key to what you stated about doing was "boots in sand", and the sand helps alot as the boots are hard and restrice ankle mobility. but sure to where boots that give you as much flex in the ankles as possible. run on as soft a surface as possible. and when you lace your boots don't lace the over the tops of your feet. go up the side over the instep, one lose wrap around ankles, cinch with know so that everything below stays that way (the slack of the entire boot doesn't even out from toe to top), and then lace the top part of your boot tight. when it starts to get tight, loosen it. no matter how tight or loose you start out, as you go your feet and legs are going to swell. that tightness can decrease circulation (i.e., feet fall asleep). so start tight and loosen as you go. hope some of this helps.

Well, im gonna have to give this a try. The boots im running in now are 5.11 XPRT's. Not great boots but a good pair to bang up since I never used them for work. Ill play with the laces and see what happens. I appreciate this a lot as this is about the only real issue I've been having with my training.

- Nick