CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2004, 03:20 AM   #1
wjones

Profile:  
I just purchased Flax seed oil from Holland and Barrett. It tastes like some I used last year, with an oily linseed taste, but after swallowing it there is a kind-of bitter after taste.

Does this indicate the oil might be off, or is this normal (I previously have used Udo's Oil and that's very smooth and light tasting).

I remember reading this stuff is easily damanged by light or heat. It's in a dark bottle, so it could only be heat damage. What are the usual signs of PUFAs going off? Bad smell, bad taste?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Only slightly bitter tasting? :wink: That oil (I didn't use Udo's...just the GNC brand) was the worst tasting shi....stuff ever.

Sorry, post is commentary only. I have no idea how to tell if it's off.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:49 AM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Mine is from the brand Health From The Sun.

It sorta tastes like green tea.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I think it tastes wierd just because it's flax oil. It's HEALTHY, it's SUPPOSED to taste wierd, heh.

If you're keeping it refridgerated, there should be no problem.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Sloan Johnson

Profile:  
Boys/Men: best to substitute other types of oil (we LOVE coconut oil) for Flax Seed oil as it's irritating to the prostate (it's OK for women). You can find out more information on Dr. Mercola's wonderful and information packed website www.mercola.com
Old 01-20-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
Ryan Hagenbuch

Profile:  
The flaxseed I've tried has always had mostly a walnut taste. If it tastes bitter or acidic it probably is going bad.
I no longer use flax seed oil, but instead use the seeds. I grind them up (1/4 cup). You must grind them up to get to the oil. This amount of seed gives a little over a tablespoon of oil, plus you get many other nutrients in addition (protein, minerals, fiber, mucilage, etc.). The other big plus is that you don't have to refrigerate the seeds. They stay good for a very long time (until they are ground up). They are also much cheaper this way.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Roy

Profile:

Wow Ryan. We have a whole bunch of flaxseed. over 2 bushels! My mom uses them to make pillows. Thats a good idea

Sloan, Dr. Mercola also says "Olive oil has trans fatty acids," which is totally not true. He is saying all this to sell more coconut oil. I take his writings with a grain of salt.

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #8
Ryan Hagenbuch

Profile:  
Forgot to add, make sure you take the seeds with a large amount of water/fluid. They absorb 5 times their volume in fluid. I had fun with this when I put them in a shake and it got so thick that I couldn't pour it.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Paul Kayley

Profile:
No offence, but what is the big facination with flaxseed oil. The Zone, NHE, and Protein Power all recommend limiting the consumption of ALA, of which flaxseed oil is about 57%, due to the negaive effect it has upon enzymes involved in the synthesis of beneficial eicosanoids.

Am I missing something, why are you taking it?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #10
Ryan Hagenbuch

Profile:  
Barry Sears says to limit flax oil consumption to 1 tablespoon/day. Without having my Zone book here, let me see if I can recite. ALA (the omega 3 fatty acid in flax) uses the same desaturase enzyme that LA (an omega 6 fatty acid) uses when being converted into other fatty acids. This blocks the conversion of LA into GLA of which Sears is so fond of. ALA eventually gets converted into EPA & DHA, but this conversion is costly to the Desaturase 6? enzyme. This is why Sears wants people to just take fish oil (EPA & DHA) seperately. The only problem I have with this is that once ALA is made into EPA or DHA, it can't be converted back to ALA, so why not take both just to cover your bases? Also use some borage oil or evening primrose oil to get your GLA.
I take fish oil to get my EPA & DHA, as well as the flax seeds.
If I do buy other oil, I like to buy Udo's Choice Blend. It's a little pricey, but contains a good mixture of oils. Flax oil is the main ingredient, but there is a decent amount of GLA included.