CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I am a pack rat. I cut articles on this that and the other and keep them in folders in my filing cabinet. In any event, I was organizing and purging them a bit today and came across an old article on the triathlete Mark Allen's diet, and wanted to quote it a bit:

"For the first seven years of his triathlon career, he stuck to a vegetarian diet, believing that it best supported his training. Then one winter's day in 1989 he found himself consumed with a fantasy. 'Every time I'd close my eyes I'd see this gigantic steak.' says Allen. 'Finally, I thought, OK, nobody's gonna know, so why not?' The next morning Allen ordered steak and pancakes for breakfast. 'Almost instantly I felt this warmth in the center of my stomach.' he remembers.'It was obvious that there was something in that meat, either iron or protein--probably both--that my body really needed.'

Indeed, Allen had been struggling with fatigue, which he took to be a symptom of overtraining. Tweaking his physical routine couldn't shake it, so finally he started eating red meat--and making sure to consume protein at every meal--while going a bit lighter on carbohydrates. Poof: the fatigue vanished. 'It wasn't overtraining', says Allen, who would immediately uncork a two-year streak in which he didn't lose a race. 'It was nutritional stress.'

Thus was planed the most central plank in his dietary regimen: not to have a regimen at all. . .Allen holds no rigid guidelines. Sure he's keen on higher percentages of protein and fat in his diet, but he also says the stats are overemphasized. '40-30-30 is nothing more than a starting point.' he says 'The most important thing is not to worry about what the experts say you need, but to listen to what your body's telling you it needs."
Old 01-18-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Thanks for that Barry. Just what I needed to read at the moment. I thought I had over-training last year. I train for Ironman competition and lost the entire season through what I thought was 'over-training'. I now think it was 'nutritional stress' like Allen explains. I was eating mainly carbs, probably in a 85,10,5 ratio !! With so little protein and fats I nearly destroyed my immune system!

After following Paleo, then NHE, I am now considering Rob's advice re The Athlete's Zone
Old 01-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-

When you crunch the numbers on these things for say a week (NHE athletes zone, protein power,Paleo diet) they are virtually identical. I think there are some cost benefit considerations with how things are divied up but they all end up being suspiciously close in the end.
Robb