CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Gabriel Aguilar

Profile:
How many calories do we burn with an average CF workout?

i know my question is very broad and there are many variables including what the WoD is, weight used, intensity, etc. but is there any way to take a guesstimate?

me 5'7"
180 lb
22 years old

todays WoD:

400m run then

3 RDS
6 hangcleans
12 front squats
50 pushups
20 toes to bar

then
400m run
30 pullups

ANY AND ALL INPUT WELCOME
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Jason Vinson

Profile:
Re: How many calories do we burn with an average CF workout?

i don't think there is really a good easy way... is there a specific reason you are wanting to know? or just curious?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

To get a ballpark, I would go to one of those online calculators and get a total per hour for "intense" exercise for someone your size. Then multiply by the fraction of an hour the workout took.

The answer will probably be a pretty small number. To burn a significant number of calories through exercise, your workouts usually need to be measured in hours, not minutes.

Katherine
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Gabriel Aguilar

Profile:

Jason:
just trying to get a grasp on how much i burn so i can see how many calories i have to eat to loose weight but not under eat either.

katherine:
so then how is it that crossfitters manage to loose so much weight if we don't burn that many calories?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Aguilar View Post
Jason:
just trying to get a grasp on how much i burn so i can see how many calories i have to eat to loose weight but not under eat either.

katherine:
so then how is it that crossfitters manage to loose so much weight if we don't burn that many calories?

Because there are a lot of people who start crossfit who are out of shape/overweight etc and just engaging in some form of consistent training will cause them to lose weight. I haven't lost any weight since I began CF style training. My body comp however has changed, I'm a much more solid 178-180lbs than I was when I started. But I'm basically the exact same weight I was when I began.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
katherine:
I would guess that diet plays a big role. The Zone is calorie-restricted by design, and the Paleo diet is calorie-restricted in practice because it emphasizes foods that aren't very calorie dense.

Also, what's the evidence for the claim that Crossfitters as a group lose a lot of weight? Certainly people get strong and lean, but you can do that at a constant or even increasing bodyweight. There are plenty of before and after pictures showing that the number on the scale doesn't mean much.

Among the new people at my affiliate, most don't need to lose huge amounts of weight, so training-induced body recomposition can easily explain most improvements in their appearance. Among those who do need to lose a lot of weight, the first advice the trainers give them is to straighten out their diets.

Katherine
Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Jason:

katherine:
Because doing intense conditioning is better than what a lot of people used to do if they come from a treadmill/elliptical/jogging background, and because doing heavy compound lifts allows you add muscle mass, boost metabolism, create good hormonal balances that make it easier to burn fat, etc. much better than the average back and bis, shoulders and tris workout people do from Muscle and Fitness magazine.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Gabriel Aguilar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I would guess that diet plays a big role. The Zone is calorie-restricted by design, and the Paleo diet is calorie-restricted in practice because it emphasizes foods that aren't very calorie dense.

Also, what's the evidence for the claim that Crossfitters as a group lose a lot of weight? Certainly people get strong and lean, but you can do that at a constant or even increasing bodyweight. There are plenty of before and after pictures showing that the number on the scale doesn't mean much.

Among the new people at my affiliate, most don't need to lose huge amounts of weight, so training-induced body recomposition can easily explain most improvements in their appearance. Among those who do need to lose a lot of weight, the first advice the trainers give them is to straighten out their diets.

Katherine
i did CF for a while about a year ago for 3 months and lost some weight, got stronger, and changed body composition. maybe i misspoke about loosing alot of weight but at all the affiliates ive been to ive seen that change in weight for ppl who are a little overweight/out of shape.

personally i think i need to loose another 10lb to lean out to where i want to be. I'm trying to figure out how to set up a diet plan that will help me get their yet still is appatizing to me thats why im curious how much we should burn on average doing CF 5 times a week.

thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
i know my question is very broad and there are many variables including what the WoD is, weight used, intensity, etc. but is there any way to take a guesstimate?

me 5'7"
180 lb
22 years old

todays WoD:

400m run then

3 RDS
6 hangcleans
12 front squats
50 pushups
20 toes to bar

then
400m run
30 pullups

ANY AND ALL INPUT WELCOME
As Katherine said, use an online calculator to get an estimate. Most apps like FitDay, LoseIt, MyFitnessPal have them built in under calisthenics. According to MyFitnessPal, a 10 minute workout burns 97 calories. Close enough.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
personally i think i need to loose another 10lb to lean out to where i want to be. I'm trying to figure out how to set up a diet plan that will help me get their yet still is appatizing to me thats why im curious how much we should burn on average doing CF 5 times a week.
Honestly, I don't think trying to calculate a precise calorie-per-workout numbers is going to be a productive use of your time. Short of doing the workout inside a calorimeter, the estimate just won't be that accurate, and neither will estimates of your BMR or most calculations of the amount of food you're eating. Make a reasonable estimate, and then adjust depending on your results.

Katherine