CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Austin Dietz

Profile:
Feeling New

I'm three days into doing crossfit and I have not done such hard of workouts in my life. I've been lifting since I was a sophomore in high school and now am currently playing college football. I just want to get more toned and lose weight. Also Im a beginner, training to do a 5k called the color run. Is crossfit the way to go in order to reach my goals? Which are to tone up, lose weight and be able to run the 5k?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Re: Feeling New

What are your stats? Height/weight/bf% if you know it

If you're a football player, look at crossfit football. It's geared toward, you guessed it, football players. Don't worry about toning up, worry about getting stronger and the "toning" will come on it's own.

Don't sweat a 5k. Just start running and you'll be fine when it comes. I did the first one of my life a couple months ago after not running in months and only jogging the week before and I finished middle of the pack. They're no biggie if you don't mind running.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

What do your football coaches say about you wanting to lose weight and run a 5K? Those goals don't seem to match up with football very well.

Agree with Brian--CFFB is designed for people in your exact situation. And if you're used to doing hard conditioning workouts, a 5K isn't something you really need to train for unless you're trying to go sub-18:00 or something.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Austin Dietz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Androsian View Post
What are your stats? Height/weight/bf% if you know it

If you're a football player, look at crossfit football. It's geared toward, you guessed it, football players. Don't worry about toning up, worry about getting stronger and the "toning" will come on it's own.

Don't sweat a 5k. Just start running and you'll be fine when it comes. I did the first one of my life a couple months ago after not running in months and only jogging the week before and I finished middle of the pack. They're no biggie if you don't mind running.
Well as of right now, I am 6'0,232lbs,23%BF. Well I was really wanting to lean towards regular crossfit because I am being red shirted because I am transferring somewhere else to play next year. So basically, I have a year off, but I still have to work on agility and strength and core training is key. Lol well the thing about running the 5k is that, I would really like to run the entire thing and not walk, and as of right now I can not run for 30mins straight because I do not have enough endurance.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Austin Dietz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
What do your football coaches say about you wanting to lose weight and run a 5K? Those goals don't seem to match up with football very well.

Agree with Brian--CFFB is designed for people in your exact situation. And if you're used to doing hard conditioning workouts, a 5K isn't something you really need to train for unless you're trying to go sub-18:00 or something.
Well since I'm transferring and being red shirted my "new" coaches really have not said anything, but I am choosing to use crossfit as my new way of training to build core strength and agility and endurance. Running a 5k is just on my bucket list and something that I've just been wanting to do lol.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Again, why do you want to run for 30 minutes straight? That's pretty much incompatible with what a football player needs, which is to exert 100% effort for no more than about 10 seconds, rest for 45-60 seconds, and repeat 50-80 times. Learning how to jog a 5K does nothing for the needs of a football player, and if your new coaches had said anything at this point I can guarantee you that a fast 5K would not be their advice to you.

I'll reiterate my previous recommendation that you check out CrossFit Football. It will address your agility and strength needs and make you a faster, more powerful athlete in general.