CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:
Lower-back and upper-glute pain

I'll explain a little...

Two weeks ago I was warming up to do some back squats and I felt some sharp, sort of pinching pain on my lower-back. I was stupid and didn't take time of the gym, tried some Front squats a week later and I had to stop because the pain aggravated and sort of shifted to my right upper glute, although I get a little pain on the left side too.

I'm stretching my glutes, low-back and hamstrings quite a lot and it seems to help. Rolling on a tennis ball helps a lot too, the pain kind of goes away, it's still the first day that I'm feeling these symptoms. I'll see how I feel the next couple of days.

Supposedly I have scoliosis, which causes me to tilt towards one side a little sometimes, most notably during strict presses, my hips shift to the left.

One more thing, it hurts my lower-back when sneezing too. I'm thinking it may be a slipped disc, which would suck...

I want an opinion as to what may have caused this issue. I'm scheduled to see a traumatologist on Friday, and we'll see what happens next

Thanks

Last edited by Frances Ballesteros : 04-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Lower-back and upper-glute pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Ballesteros View Post
I'll explain a little...

Two weeks ago I was warming up to do some back squats and I felt some sharp, sort of pinching pain on my lower-back. I was stupid and didn't take time of the gym, tried some Front squats a week later and I had to stop because the pain aggravated and sort of shifted to my right upper glute, although I get a little pain on the left side too.

I'm stretching my glutes, low-back and hamstrings quite a lot and it seems to help. Rolling on a tennis ball helps a lot too, the pain kind of goes away, it's still the first day that I'm feeling these symptoms. I'll see how I feel the next couple of days.

Supposedly I have scoliosis, which causes me to tilt towards one side a little sometimes, most notably during strict presses, my hips shift to the left.

One more thing, it hurts my lower-back when sneezing too. I'm thinking it may be a slipped disc, which would suck...

I want an opinion as to what may have caused this issue. I'm scheduled to see a traumatologist on Friday, and we'll see what happens next

Thanks
Sneezing increases the pressure in your disks causing pain and irritation of nerve roots if there is a bulge or herniation. These usually occur from a weakness in the ligament that typically the disk in place.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Michael Travis

Profile:

Do some research on SI Joint Dysfunction. Pain in lower back to the glute area could be indicative of SIJ issues, which often gets misdiagnosed as a slipped disc.. Just food for thought
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
Do some research on SI Joint Dysfunction. Pain in lower back to the glute area could be indicative of SIJ issues, which often gets misdiagnosed as a slipped disc.. Just food for thought
why would a sneeze hurt the SI joint
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

I was thinking th SI joint, but then the sneezing comes onto the equation, and I think it may be a slipped disk In which case, I'll get recommended to stop lifting weights :O
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
why would a sneeze hurt the SI joint
It could if there's instability and causing muscle spasms which is often the case with a slipped SI joint leading to some sort of piriformis type irritation

-----------

OP:

Check this out. gives some general guidelines on what practitioner to go to and things that may or may not help

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ur-lower-back/
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Thanks!

Steven, I was looking forward to your response. I'll check it out and see how I feel

I couldn't help it, but yesterday, I went to the gym and did some pull-throughs, hyperextensions, and some abs as well (not crunches) plus stretching. It seems to help quite a bit actually, and the pain is minimal. I'll see how it feels the next couple of days.

Thanks again
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

SO I took this picture, and I was told that I have external rotation of my hips, could this be a cause of piriformis?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	9240
Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Ballesteros View Post
SO I took this picture, and I was told that I have external rotation of my hips, could this be a cause of piriformis?

Attachment 9240
Unlikely.

Your postural alignment is governed by your nervous system and that includes more than one muscle..., and a small one at that.

Posture can be a sign of things gone awry though so it's possible that it can contribute to the problem somewhat.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Thanks!

I went to the traumatologist on Friday and he made me do a couple of positions to see if my lower-back hurt. I suppose he was looking for a herniated disc, but none of those positions hurt.

My scoliosis and something in my hips caught his attention so I'm getting X-rays next Friday to see what's up. I'm going to tell him about a slipped SI joint as the symptons seem to match up, and the fact that one of my legs is shorter than the other reinforces my opinion.

We'll see what happens