CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Josh Mitchell

Profile:
Pinched Nerve In Neck --How Long To Heal?

I'm hoping folks can offer some advice/guidance on a pinched nerve in my neck that has caused severe weakness in my right arm.

The root of the injury occurred about a month ago. I got a very intense massage on my back and neck. Ten hours later, I did a WOD that involved lots of reps of cleans (at a fairly heavy weight) and burpees. The next day, I had an extremely stiff neck. I didn't think much of it and proceeded to do WODs for the next couple weeks--handstand pushups, pullups, heavy cleans, rope climbs, etc. I still felt pain but nothing excruciating.

Then -- I did WOD 2 of the Open -- the snatch amrep, that Saturday. I breezed through the first 30 reps and then did 8 reps at 135. That's a heavy weight for me -- I weigh 150 lbs myself, and my max snatch is 145.

I felt good, but when Monday came around, I could barely strict press 85 lbs. above my head. A couple days later, I couldn't even snatch 105 (a warm-up weight for me). It wasn't pain holding me back -- it was simply weakness/numbness in my right arm, shoulder and trap.

It's been two weeks, and I haven't done any workouts with my right arm, per the recommendation of a well-respected physical therapist I've been seeing. The problem is I am still very weak in my arm. I have full range of motion, and much, but not all, of the pain is gone (though I still experience a little bit of pain at night). But I don't appear to be making any progress in getting my strength back. To give you an idea of how weak my arm is: When I hold a 5 lb plate in my hand, I can only lift my arm in front me to just below chest height. My P.T. says if I'm still experiencing weakness next week, I will likely need to get an MRI.

Has anyone incurred this type of injury? And is it unusual for something like this to take this long to heal? Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
Best--Josh
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Tom Reyes

Profile:
Re: Pinched Nerve In Neck --How Long To Heal?

I have a slipped disc in my neck. When I tweak it, I get some numbness and tingling that is almost constant. It takes a solid 3-4 months for it to completely go away. That being said, I have seen a doc about this, had MRI's, received 3 different opinions about it ( 2 doc's and a chiro). I suggest you do the same, sooner rather than later.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Pinched Nerve In Neck --How Long To Heal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Mitchell View Post
I'm hoping folks can offer some advice/guidance on a pinched nerve in my neck that has caused severe weakness in my right arm.

The root of the injury occurred about a month ago. I got a very intense massage on my back and neck. Ten hours later, I did a WOD that involved lots of reps of cleans (at a fairly heavy weight) and burpees. The next day, I had an extremely stiff neck. I didn't think much of it and proceeded to do WODs for the next couple weeks--handstand pushups, pullups, heavy cleans, rope climbs, etc. I still felt pain but nothing excruciating.

Then -- I did WOD 2 of the Open -- the snatch amrep, that Saturday. I breezed through the first 30 reps and then did 8 reps at 135. That's a heavy weight for me -- I weigh 150 lbs myself, and my max snatch is 145.

I felt good, but when Monday came around, I could barely strict press 85 lbs. above my head. A couple days later, I couldn't even snatch 105 (a warm-up weight for me). It wasn't pain holding me back -- it was simply weakness/numbness in my right arm, shoulder and trap.

It's been two weeks, and I haven't done any workouts with my right arm, per the recommendation of a well-respected physical therapist I've been seeing. The problem is I am still very weak in my arm. I have full range of motion, and much, but not all, of the pain is gone (though I still experience a little bit of pain at night). But I don't appear to be making any progress in getting my strength back. To give you an idea of how weak my arm is: When I hold a 5 lb plate in my hand, I can only lift my arm in front me to just below chest height. My P.T. says if I'm still experiencing weakness next week, I will likely need to get an MRI.

Has anyone incurred this type of injury? And is it unusual for something like this to take this long to heal? Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
Best--Josh
weakness can be a result of other nerves not just in your neck, you should be examined first before an MRI is done to figure out where to image