CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:
A Weight Gain Paleo Diet?

I just recently started reading about Paleo and found that it was mostly referred to as a diet for maintaining or losing weight. Are there any sample Paleo plans or could anyone fill me in on what a Paleo weight gain diet would be like?

I am considering testing it out for a month just to challenge myself and see if I can stick to it and eliminate some foods from my diet to see if it really makes me feel that much better. Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: A Weight Gain Paleo Diet?

Eat more. Seriously, it's that simple.

Basic paleo will help you shed excess weight (fat), leaning out and feel better. I assume when you say "weight gain" you want to gain more muscle mass, not become obese, right?

So load up! Double your protein, double your fats, include lots of healthy carbs like sweet potatoes. Go nuts Put butter and coconut oil on everything. Eat a dozen eggs for breakfast every morning. Have a pound of bacon in a sitting. Eat 4 sweet potatoes for dessert. Shovel that steak down. Always have almonds in your hands. You need to feel stuffed all the time.

And don't forget to lift heavy
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Eat more. Seriously, it's that simple.

Basic paleo will help you shed excess weight (fat), leaning out and feel better. I assume when you say "weight gain" you want to gain more muscle mass, not become obese, right?

So load up! Double your protein, double your fats, include lots of healthy carbs like sweet potatoes. Go nuts Put butter and coconut oil on everything. Eat a dozen eggs for breakfast every morning. Have a pound of bacon in a sitting. Eat 4 sweet potatoes for dessert. Shovel that steak down. Always have almonds in your hands. You need to feel stuffed all the time.

And don't forget to lift heavy
In case he ^ didn't say this, just eat all day long.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

gaining weight on paleo is the same as gaining weight on any other eating plan. paleo simply refers to the types of foods you eat and don't eat. on paleo you eat meat, nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies. you don't eat grain and legumes. some people eat dairy, eggs, and starchy tubers, some don't. whatever you eat or don't eat, just consume more calories than you use on a daily basis and you will gain weight. it's that simple. i can't imagine you would have problems gaining weight shoveling high fat meat, handfuls of nuts, and fruit all the time.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

Ok that makes sense...pretty easy if you ask me. I just wasn't entirely sure about the whole Paleo concept of it all and if it related to the Zone diet where there are blocks and what-not.

Thanks for all of the info everybody. I appreciate it! Looking forward to eating constantly for the next month and seeing what happens...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

No, the upside of Paleo is that you don't have to waste your time being neurotic about weighing and measuring anything. You can get about 95% of the results with 5% of the hassle. Maybe down the line if you plateau you'll need a better handle on your macros, but for most people it's just not important.