CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Ruth S. Walker

Profile:
working past the pain

I just wanted input on "starting" crossfit, and workouts. with Crossfit being every 3rd or 4th day a rest day, when you start crossfit, the second day of a workout day do you work through the soreness from the day before? I know lots of streaching and mobility exercises, but do I just keep doing the workout through the soreness. I'm not "in pain" just a normal sore from a workout.

I'm very bad at this.. I tend to not want to workout the following day because I'm lazy.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: working past the pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth S. Walker View Post
I just wanted input on "starting" crossfit, and workouts. with Crossfit being every 3rd or 4th day a rest day, when you start crossfit, the second day of a workout day do you work through the soreness from the day before? I know lots of streaching and mobility exercises, but do I just keep doing the workout through the soreness. I'm not "in pain" just a normal sore from a workout.

I'm very bad at this.. I tend to not want to workout the following day because I'm lazy.
FIRST, read this on rhabdo. (WFS)

For a beginner you should try maybe 3 workout of the days (WODs) per week. Maybe take 1 rest day between each WOD. Once your body adjusts and you aren't painfully sore after every WOD, then you can start ramping up to 3-on and 1-off. Also, are you taking a post workout protein/carb shake?
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|

Last edited by Joey Shishineh : 03-16-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Sore =/= rhabdo. Sore = sore. You can work through it if you're sore from a new movement or intensity as part of an intelligent program. If you're sore because your coach programmed 100 shoulder presses 6 days in a row, take a rest and find a new coach.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
David Owen

Profile:

very new to CF as well! not so new to working out. Done a lot of studying before I hit the gym 10 years ago, wanted to really know what I was doing (mainly so I didn't look stupid in the gym as a 125lb 20 year old) and performed very well, and gained a lot of muscle mass. 10 years of not working out though had made me a very flabby far-from running a marathon lazy dude.

10 years later-5 months of high-intensity, fast paced weight training has lost me about 40lbs, got my 6-pack back. And an ego to boot.

Started CF last week.

OUCH...but a good ouch... but not big enough to pop my ego and feeling of invincibility.

Have not been following the advice of many to start off light with much rest. And realized today I had overworked. After forcing myself through Thur's games workout (took me 35 min to do one set, in what the elite are doing in less than 12) I tried doing today's WOD even though I was more sore than I can ever remember being from weight training. WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING... this is exactly what everyone's warning me about my triceps are still completely broken down from the day before, to the point they're trembling when I pick up my COFFEE CUP, but here I am in the gym trying to dumbell bench the most weight I can do 6-8 reps of followed by as many pullups as I can do (which I JUST did yesterday)...DUMB....

I now see the awesome power and intensity of CF, and potential danger, decided to listen to my body screaming for rest. Went home took some nutrition supplements, and rested. today, and tomorrow, and depending on Sunday's WOD if it involves triceps, shoulders or chest might modify the workout. Gotta listen to your body and be patient, ease myself into busting my ***.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Sore =/= rhabdo. Sore = sore. You can work through it if you're sore from a new movement or intensity as part of an intelligent program. If you're sore because your coach programmed 100 shoulder presses 6 days in a row, take a rest and find a new coach.
Just making him aware of the condition. Not completely useless information for a beginner. Yes, if you are following good programming, the WODs will compliment each other and you won't be repeating the same movement over and over.
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

My most successful members are the ones who show up 4 or 5 days a week. Week after week. Many of these people started very out of shape but committed to doing something about it. We scald the workout, yes they had reasonable amounts of soreness for a while but it doesn't last forever and the progress is fast.

Don't label yourself lazy, your setting yourself up to give up.

Instead think to your self (like a mantra)

One day at a time I'm going to follow my CrossFit plan and see what results it will bring me.

Word are stronger the muscles.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Ruth S. Walker

Profile:

thanks for the encouragement Brenden. I am over weight, by about 25lbs, I can admit that, and I hate how my clothes sit on my body so I know I'm way overdue to do something about it. Mesomorph.. short and stalky, and always into soccer I just neeed to reboot and get physical again.
Motivation for me is the Biggest thing, I know I can work through the sorness. I don't think my lats have ever hurt so much, but at least I know there is muscle being worked.
I've set a goal to lose 20 lbs by May, that's about a 2lbs a week.. totally doable. Especially if I stay with CF 4 times a week.
Thanks again to everyone.. the message board is a great place to talk with fellow crossfitters and know what your going through.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Courtney Green

Profile:

I personally started out only doing 2 WODS per week because of the soreness. For the first month, you will not be able to do the recommended 3 on/1 off (my personal experience at least, everyone is different). Just listen to your body and start doing things now that are conducive to good recovery, like:

-Eat enough, especially enough protein.
-Take cold/hot contrast showers (if you don't know what this is, alternate really hot water with really cold water in the shower, about 30 seconds or so each. Alternate back and forth 3-4 times or more. Seems to really help).
-Ice the parts of your body that feel significantly sore.
-Take fish oil (natural anti-inflammatory).
-Stretch and do mobility exercises before and after every WOD
-Get good sleep!

Doing these things will minimize your soreness as much as possible. However, you still won't be able to go full force at first. Like I said, I started off with 2 WODs per week and now I'm able to do 3 strength WODs + 2-3 conditioning WODS + skill work every week and I rarely get sore anymore (unless I do a competition). If you have a slight bit of soreness, you can generally work through that, but you need to take a light day/rest day if it's really bad. You'll get there!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Garrett Hines

Profile:

Dude, I know exactly what your goin through. I am three weeks in to CF and for the first week it hurt so much (in a hurts so good kind of way). Soreness reigned throughout my body. What surprised me though was how my body would push through it. At the begining of a wod I would think death was immenant but a few minutes in and I was kickin tail.
Having said that, as a triathlete I know when Ive pushed too far. A good rule of thumb that I like to stick with is this, if my mechanics change due to pain, I need extra rest. For example, if my calves are so sore that I walk funny, I get extra rest and ice, or if my knee pangs in a way that i cant walk/run with good form I need extra rest/healing. I think that applies here too.
Three weeks out I still get so so sore, but now it only sticks around for a day or so. Its so exciting to see my body grow and develop new strength!!

hope that helps, good luck with your CF journey.