CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Justin Brown

Profile:
Paleo Macros

Hi All,

What is the standard paleo macro breakdown? My current macro is around 55-60% fat, 20-25% protein, 20% carbs. In grams this is around: 160g fat, 110 g carbs, 170g protein.

Do these macros seem right? Is there such a thing as too much fat in a paleo diet? All of my fat is coming from "good sources" of meat(bacon, steak, chicken), oils (olive and coconut), and nuts (almonds, and macadamians). I am a 6' 180ish lb guy.

As always your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Paleo Macros

What's your training look like? That all adds up to 2560 calories, which is pitiful for an active male your size.

There is no standard paleo macro breakdown, but the relative dearth of paleo carb sources means that most people end up getting a lot of calories from fat. If you add calories, though, I'd suggest looking at fruit and starchy tubers rather than adding in still more fat.

Katherine
Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Matt Holmer

Profile:

You should eat to support your goals. Fat loss? Lower the carbs. Want to gain strength and lean muscle mass up the carbs and protein.

So, what are your goals?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Justin Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What's your training look like? That all adds up to 2560 calories, which is pitiful for an active male your size.

There is no standard paleo macro breakdown, but the relative dearth of paleo carb sources means that most people end up getting a lot of calories from fat. If you add calories, though, I'd suggest looking at fruit and starchy tubers rather than adding in still more fat.

Katherine
According to FitDay I've been between 2800-3000 calories a day. I do Crossfit 4 days a week. Pretty soon I'm going to start adding some tri training into my schedule. Probably swim, bike, and run once a week.

FitDay also says I should be burning around 2800 calories a day since i have a desk job....
Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Justin Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Holmer View Post
You should eat to support your goals. Fat loss? Lower the carbs. Want to gain strength and lean muscle mass up the carbs and protein.

So, what are your goals?
My goals are to improve performance of my Crossfit WODs and Triathlons. I would love to lose some body fat (only really have it in stomach and thighs), but performance is more important to me atm.

With these goals what calorie count should I be around?

Last edited by Justin Brown : 03-14-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added ?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
Hi All,

What is the standard paleo macro breakdown? My current macro is around 55-60% fat, 20-25% protein, 20% carbs. In grams this is around: 160g fat, 110 g carbs, 170g protein.

Do these macros seem right? Is there such a thing as too much fat in a paleo diet? All of my fat is coming from "good sources" of meat(bacon, steak, chicken), oils (olive and coconut), and nuts (almonds, and macadamians). I am a 6' 180ish lb guy.

As always your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
In his most recent paper on the subject S. Boyd Eaton, the originator of the modern paleo diet, estimated that the total fat intake of hunter-gatherers was 20%-35% of total calories.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=6232 (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 03-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Justin Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
In his most recent paper on the subject S. Boyd Eaton, the originator of the modern paleo diet, estimated that the total fat intake of hunter-gatherers was 20%-35% of total calories.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=6232 (wfs)
Uggh, so many sources are saying different things.

Mark Sisson is saying I should be in the 100-150 carb range:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz1p81clmGZ (WFS)

Based on the article Darryl referenced, I'm eating too much fat. (Is there such a thing as too much fat in paleo?) But in paleo I'm not sure how to cut down on the fat and still get sufficient calories. While following Mark Sisson's carb curve.

Katherine is saying I need to eat food in general. I guess i'm just lost as to how I eat more without adding more fat and more carbs.

Everybody definitely has a different school of though. So far I have been trying to follow MarksDailyApple, but I haven't found a macro breakdown from him...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Justin Brown : 03-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Brown View Post
Uggh, so many sources are saying different things.

Mark Sisson is saying I should be in the 100-150 carb range:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz1p81clmGZ (WFS)

Based on the article Darryl referenced, I'm eating too much fat. (Is there such a thing as too much fat in paleo?) But in paleo I'm not sure how to cut down on the fat and still get sufficient calories. While following Mark Sisson's carb curve.

Katherine is saying I need to eat food in general. I guess i'm just lost as to how I eat more without adding more fat and more carbs.

Everybody definitely has a different school of though. So far I have been trying to follow MarksDailyApple, but I haven't found a macro breakdown from him...

Thoughts?
Hehehe, MORE PROTEIN!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Since you're new here, I should probably mention that I'm not a paleo follower myself and think the carbophobia around here gets a little ridiculous sometimes. If you need more calories, you could do a lot worse than some sweet potatoes, a bowl of fruit, or even some rice.

If you're going to add endurance training, you definitely don't want to limit carbs.

You're getting advice from sources who contradict each other, so it's not possible to follow all of it. My own opinion is that if you eat real food, in adequate quantities, from a variety of sources, you'll be fine.

Katherine
Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
There is no standard paleo macro breakdown, but the relative dearth of paleo carb sources means that most people end up getting a lot of calories from fat.
This. As Robb would say, just eat the damn food and not worry so much about macro breakdown at the start. Now if you aren't getting the performance/composition results you are seeking then you need to look at things. Maybe increase carbs or protein, etc.