CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Anthony Yeh

Profile:
Protein Shakes for Weight Loss. Before? After?

Good Morning All,

Just got done with the WOD and due today's cardio focus a question arose:

"Am I supposed to drink a protein shake after this?"

I am m/25/6'2"/276 (this morning) 273 (after WOD) and trying to lose fat to get me down to 225. If I had to choose between building muscle and losing weight, I would choose losing weight first, then building muscle after.

With these goals in mind, when and how often should I be drinking my protein/recovery shakes?

I drink one after every WOD that I lift weights in, should I start taking them after every WOD regardless of the actual workout? Should I take a shake before (I read on livestrong.com that protein shakes before, give your muscles food during your workout. If I'm trying to lose weight wouldn't it be better to force my muscles to eat the food, i.e. fat, that I already have within me?)

Thanks!

~ Have a great day.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Brian Androsian

Profile:
Re: Protein Shakes for Weight Loss. Before? After?

Don't take before, just after. As for which workouts to take them after? I take one after every workout. If you're trying to lose weight, I'd say eat real food if possible instead of protein shakes. If you can stomach it, food is better post workout. However, a lot of people can't stomach a lot of food right after, in which case a protein drink is fine.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Although you shouldn't be taking a protein shake beforehand, I believe your pre-workout nutrition is just as important as post-workout. Sometimes this may have to be a shake because sometimes you can't stomach a meal before or after. Get some protein/carbs a hour or so before you workout so you have fuel... What exactly does your current post-workout shake contain?
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
David Sigmon

Profile:

Don't drink a protein shake period UNLESS you add fats to slow the digestion of the shake (like 1 TBS of macadamia nut oil or olive oil). If you're doing that though you might as well have a whole food meal. If you don't add fats the fast digesting shake and the amino acid l-leucine will cause a rise in blood sugar and a subsequent release of insulin. Insulin stops the burning of free fatty acids. This is GOOD when building muscle but bad when trying to lose fat. This won't hinder your recovery as long as you're getting whole foods in around your workout. I'd do a whole food meal 2-3 hours pre-workout and a whole food meal immediately after.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Anthony, post-WOD recovery shakes are for performance support and mass gain; they are most definitely not for weight loss. If your primary goal is to lose 50 lb., then you have no business consuming liquid food.

Eat real food. Lose the weight. After that, if you want to focus on increasing your performance, then you can have a post-WOD recovery shake.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Depending on how hard you diet, a pre-workout snack (before lifting, not cardio), may help with intensity. Overall macros will be much more important.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Jennifer Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Yeh View Post
Good Morning All,

Just got done with the WOD and due today's cardio focus a question arose:

"Am I supposed to drink a protein shake after this?"

I am m/25/6'2"/276 (this morning) 273 (after WOD) and trying to lose fat to get me down to 225. If I had to choose between building muscle and losing weight, I would choose losing weight first, then building muscle after.

With these goals in mind, when and how often should I be drinking my protein/recovery shakes?

I drink one after every WOD that I lift weights in, should I start taking them after every WOD regardless of the actual workout? Should I take a shake before (I read on livestrong.com that protein shakes before, give your muscles food during your workout. If I'm trying to lose weight wouldn't it be better to force my muscles to eat the food, i.e. fat, that I already have within me?)

Thanks!

~ Have a great day.
Everyone is a little different; if you can handle taking the protein shake before you workout and feed the muscle then do so. Most of the time that makes me feel sick. Afterwards is the best as your system is already up and moving and the protein has a greater impact at that time. Make sure that you are eating at least 5 meals/snacks per day to keep your metabolism going. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Supplemental protein can be of benefit if you are on a hypo-caloric diet simply because it provides essentially the lowest calorie possible form of complete protein.

The idea of insulin release from a protein shake being any moreso that that stimulated by a meal is a bit far-fetched. It is is within the confines of your total caloric intake then drinking a shake mixed in water PWO is certainly not a bad thing.

The main point that I think people get confused about is they feel protein shakes somehow significantly directly stimulate fat loss. While certain types of whey MAY aid with fat loss any effect is so small that I don't feel it merits any consideration. Protein is a macronutrient which isn't going to directly help melt fat. It should be thought of more along the lines of helping with recovery especially on a low cal diet.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Supplemental protein can be of benefit if you are on a hypo-caloric diet simply because it provides essentially the lowest calorie possible form of complete protein.

The idea of insulin release from a protein shake being any moreso that that stimulated by a meal is a bit far-fetched. It is is within the confines of your total caloric intake then drinking a shake mixed in water PWO is certainly not a bad thing.

The main point that I think people get confused about is they feel protein shakes somehow significantly directly stimulate fat loss. While certain types of whey MAY aid with fat loss any effect is so small that I don't feel it merits any consideration. Protein is a macronutrient which isn't going to directly help melt fat. It should be thought of more along the lines of helping with recovery especially on a low cal diet.
How can this be farfetched? I can post studies showing the effects of a fast digesting protein and it's effects on insulin response as well as those related to l-leucine. Both stimulate insulin response and in an environment with no additional foods added to decrease the GI load, they certainly would affect insulin and blood sugar greater than a whole meal with a wider variety of macros involved.

You push a protein blend so I can see where if you're directly referring to adding casein and other longer digesting proteins, the effect would be more similar to a whole foods meal. But a straight whey isolate would certainly spike insulin. I've tested all of this myself via glucometer.

Last edited by David Sigmon : 03-16-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sigmon View Post
How can this be farfetched? I can post studies showing the effects of a fast digesting protein and it's effects on insulin response as well as those related to l-leucine. Both stimulate insulin response and in an environment with no additional foods added to decrease the GI load, they certainly would affect insulin and blood sugar greater than a whole meal with a wider variety of macros involved.

You push a protein blend so I can see where if you're directly referring to adding casein and other longer digesting proteins, the effect would be more similar to a whole foods meal. But a straight whey isolate would certainly spike insulin. I've tested all of this myself via glucometer.
Milk proteins stimulate insulin, not just whey. It is far-fetched because you are assuming whey, for example, stimulates insulin equivalently to something like a sugar. Do you have a study which shows that, or are you making an assumption?

Edit: I found one myself. It seems whey is quite the potent stimulator of insulin - even more potent in this study than an equivalent amount of white bread, but you have to keep in mind that such things are also dose dependent. So again, assuming a shake of say 40g or whey will stimulate insulin to the degree that fat loss will be impeded on a macro scale is, I think, to big of an assumption to make.

Last edited by Chris Mason : 03-16-2012 at 07:47 PM.