CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Zicky Villette

Profile:
Trying to Lose Weight With CrossFit

Hello Everyone,

I am overweight and out of shape and attempting to prepare for a Tough Mudder challenge in October. I used CF four years ago during my senior year of football and it was great. However, that was under much different circumstances, I was in much in better shape. Come someone give me some ideas on where or how to start? I think this is a great opportunity it's just all over my head. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

-Z
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Courtney Green

Profile:
Re: Trying to Lose Weight With CrossFit

Hi Zicky,

I am also doing the Tough Mudder challenge, in September though. Looks like a beast of a run, doesn't it? As for getting back in shape, what are your stats? Height, weight, estimated body composition? Overall goals?

If weight loss/fat loss is your primary goal, my suggestions are as such: go 90-100% paleo for 20-30 days w/ plenty of protein (at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight per day). Make sure you're eating plenty of fat and unprocessed carbs too. Then, get into a strength biased version of CF (CF Football, Greyskull Linear Progression w/ 2 short CF conditioning WODs per week) and this will work wonders for body composition, not to mention performance. That's the main thing- work towards performance and body composition will come. Be patient though, don't expect it to happen over night or even in a couple of months. You have plenty of time to get into beast shape before Tough Mudder though.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Zicky Villette

Profile:

5' 8' 230

Goals: To get in shape and be healthy. I have Crohn's disease and I need to better myself and body now before it's too late. My goals right now are to get under 200 so 199 and work from there. It also to get in shape a complete Tough Mudder in October. I know this may seem vague but I just know that change is necessary and I need to start now.

Thank you for the advice but a lot of these terms are foreign to me. Paleo diet? and especially the CF terms. What is Greyskull Linear Progression and what does that look like, along with CF Football. I have found information on them but can't seem to find any workouts.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Zicky Villette

Profile:

Does the Linear Regression look something like one of these?

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
2x8 Dips

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Standing Military Press 3x5
Power Cleans or barbell row 3x5
2x8 Chinups

Week 1:
Day 1: A
Day 2: rest
Day 3: B
Day 4: rest
Day 5: A
Day 6: rest
Day 7: rest

Week 2:
Day 1: B
Day 2: rest
Day 3: A
Day 4: rest
Day 5: B
Day 6: rest
Day 7: rest
Week 1

Monday:
single leg squat 3x10 each leg
squat 5RM
db RDL's 3x12
back extension 3x10
db incline press 4x8-10
tricep exts. 3x12
y-t raises 3x20 ( 10 y's 10 t's )
side bends 3x12 each side
abs w/ weight 3x10

Wednesday:
bench 5RM
db shoulder press 3x10-12
back- row or pulldown 3x10-12
tricep pushdowns 3x12
db side raises 3x10
db bicep curls 3x12
front hovers 3x 60 sec
side hovers 3x 60 sec

Friday:
speed squat 8x2 50% of max
goodmornings 3x10
weighted step-ups 3x10 each leg
hamstring curls 3x12
shrugs 3x8-12
abs 4x12

Week 2

Monday:
squat 3RM
kb swings or RDL's 3x12
reverse lunges 3x10 each leg -weighted
back 3x10
pushups 50 total
abs 3x10

Wednesday:
close grip bench press 5RM
db floor press 3x10-12
db shoulder cleans 3x12
pull-ups 40 total
seated row 3x8-10
shrugs 3x12
abs 3x10-12

Friday:
speed squat 55% of max
side lunges 3x10
single leg squats 3x10
back exts. 3x12
abs 4x10
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Courtney Green

Profile:

Ha, sorry for dumping terms on you that you're not familiar with yet. I guess it's easy to assume. The paleo diet is something that a lot of crossfitters follow and it's a good way to eat, especially if you're trying to lean out. I've leaned out the most when following it for at least 90% or more of the week. If you can, follow it 100% for a few weeks to really jump start the process. There's tons of info in the Nutrition forum on this site, but also check out these websites for starters:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welc...#axzz1pHj1Srhu (WFS)

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/ (WFS)

I'm not sure if you have to follow a particular diet due to having Crohn's disease, but you can check it out with your doc. At the very least, it couldn't hurt to try out paleo and see if it works for you. It's a very natural way to eat and a lot of people with chronic issues notice their problems become significantly better on the diet.

As for Greyskull Linear Progression, here's the template:

Week A:

Monday:
-Overhead Press 2x5, 1x5+
-Back Squat 2x5, 1x5+

Wednesday:
-Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+
-Deadlift 1x5+

Friday:
-Overhead Press 2x5, 1x5+
-Back Squat 2x5, 1x5+

Week B: the same, except you will alternate the days of Press and Bench. So week B you'd Bench on Mon/Fri and Press on Wed.

As you notice, there's not the standard 3x5. Instead, you do 2x5, and then the last set is a max repetition set (as many as you can do safely or until failure). This number will vary week to week but you want to keep it around the 7-10 rep range every workout. If you get significantly more reps on one lift (example, 13-15), then you can double the increase of weight on the next workout.

The standard increases in weight are as follows:

Squat and Deadlift, 5 lbs
Press and Bench, 2.5 lbs

Every workout, you'll go up in weight in these increments (unless you get a ton of reps on the last set, as stated above).

This is the main structure for Greyskull (also known as GSLP). The program is designed for you to add different components to it too, depending on goals. For more info visit http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89 (WFS). There's also a thread on this website titled "GSLP" that's a good read as well.

As for Crossfit Football, check out http://www.crossfitfootball.com/ (WFS). The site provides its own WODs on the front page along with an FAQ to get you started. This is a really good program to follow too.

Another tip for weight loss, and this corresponds to GSLP and is a recommended "plug-in" to the program for fat loss: Fasted Walks. Most days of the week (at least 5, or more if you want), go for a 20-40 minute walk first thing when you wake up and before you eat. You want to be in a fasted state during the walk. It doesn't have to be a power-walk, just a moderately paced, brisk walk. Doing this multiple days per week combined with a strength program, 2-3 short Crossfit conditioning WODs per week, and the paleo diet (with proper protein intake) will significantly change your body composition. You should see results soon doing this, but keep in mind it'll be a process and won't happen overnight. Also, don't get discouraged if you gain a few pounds on the scale at first due to gaining muscle. Just go by how you look and take pics along the way (once per month or so).
Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Zicky Villette

Profile:

Thank you, I really appreciate the help. Photos shall be coming soon
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Although being stronger is good in every way imaginable, I'm not so sure that a strength program designed to improve explosive power is going to be the best choice to prepare for a 10-12 mile run unless you're already a good runner to begin with...
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Although being stronger is good in every way imaginable, I'm not so sure that a strength program designed to improve explosive power is going to be the best choice to prepare for a 10-12 mile run unless you're already a good runner to begin with...
agreed... if your goal is to lose weight and get ready for a tough mudder, then focus on your diet which will determine your weight loss, and make sure you run 2 or 3 times a week. adding in an LP strength program 2 days a week isn't a bad idea, but you shouldn't be primarily doing a strength program if your goal is to lose weight and run a long distance. perhaps look into CFE.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Zicky Villette

Profile:

Outside of running, what's the best kind of program to look in to?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Mike Moulder

Profile:

you might try http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ WFS. Crossfit endurence has some good info for learning the right way to run, as well as workouts designed to help you run better.