CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Lou Carey

Profile:
Paleo in Japan

Hey all.

I will be travelling in Japan soon, and wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping mostly paleo while doing so. I will enjoy some things, but not others, being bloated and sick is not worth it! So far I am thinking sashimi, fruit, nuts, etc plus meat and salads as much as possible when eating out. I know a lot of the sauces are very high in sugar, as is sushi rice so I will try and avoid. Has anyone been to/lived in Japan? What is the availability of things like nuts, jerky, veggies etc like, grab and go stuff for big days out and about? Any tips?!

Pretty excited, have contacted the box in Kyoto and the owner seems super nice, have to get in contact with the one in Tokyo next! yep I will crossfit my way through holidays despite my travel companions complaints!

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Tony Sutton

Profile:
Re: Paleo in Japan

I would worry more about bringing some healthy snacks for the flight. I think you will have no worries finding awesome food. If you are really worried, ask the gym you have contacted.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I've never been to Japan, but I'm pretty sure Tokyo is one of the food capitals of the world. I wouldn't worry too much about finding something paleo. Pretty sure fish is in abundance, and not just in sushi form.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Question: how often do you travel overseas? If it is common for you, then yeah, try to keep it as clean as you can or whatever.

If it's only once every few months, or even years.... don't be an arse and try to go "paleo". You're not gonna ruin your health on a little vacation. Otherwise all those japanese would be obese or dead by now. Just try their food FFS!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Question: how often do you travel overseas? If it is common for you, then yeah, try to keep it as clean as you can or whatever.

If it's only once every few months, or even years.... don't be an arse and try to go "paleo". You're not gonna ruin your health on a little vacation. Otherwise all those japanese would be obese or dead by now. Just try their food FFS!
Agreed. Not sure about you, but I'm from Michigan and I like to try foreign and unique food every time I can. Eat what you want, just try to keep it clean. Pass on deep fried and processed stuff and eat everything else. Don't stress yourself on vacation.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

having travelled to japan twice.... eating is EXPENSIVE. forget about seeing beef as eating option unless its in a McDonalds burger. Chicken... I dont remember seeing chicken.
it was alot of rice fish, and noodles. fruit was pricey, I remember paying 3 bucks for an apple. bowl of cornflakes was like 8 bucks. This was in tokyo, but i have had friends who were based outside in some of the rural areas, food was a tad cheaper but had to go totally native and never saw a burger or a meat patty.

I would suggest or hope that some of the ppl on here that are japan based will chime in to voice options.

Imho, screw the diet once you get there, try to eat local , learn to eat and enjoy what the natives eat, and make the best of it.

oh, btw, if you enjoy drinking beer.... start learning to reduce your intake by half.. its expensive but cheaper than coffee
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Lou Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post

I will be trying as much as possible, trust me, I am beyond excited for sashimi from the markets!!! I cannot have gluten though, planning on travelling with a coeliac card... Just want to know my options so when I get here I don't have to stress and i can enjoy eating my weight in raw fish, and all the things!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Carey View Post
I will be trying as much as possible, trust me, I am beyond excited for sashimi from the markets!!! I cannot have gluten though, planning on travelling with a coeliac card... Just want to know my options so when I get here I don't have to stress and i can enjoy eating my weight in raw fish, and all the things!
Hey Lou, I'm glad you're going to take a more relaxed approach.

It just gets me that over the years I keep seeing people in these forum starting threads like "how do I keep up the WODS this week on a cruise ship?", "how do I eat Paleo on my Honey Moon", and "how do I keep it Paleo tonight, my son invited me to his house, it's New Year's Eve, and I've not seen him in 30 years"....

You get the point. This has to stop. Yes, we all strive to be strong and fit and look as good as we can naked. But we gotta enjoy life too for crying out loud.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Brent E Harsch

Profile:

This is my first post as I just got approved, but I saw this thread a couple days ago and wanted to post.

I've live in Japan twice 00-03 in Okinawa and 08-11 Tokyo, I currently live in Korea again and from 07-08 I lived in Seoul.

I think you can eat Paleo in Japan, but if you are really wanting to experience the food/culture you might have to get creative or try and do a couple Paleo meals per day and one that isn't. IMO, breakfast would be easy going with eggs/veggies and fruits. Sashimi would be real easy as you could just fill up on the fish which isn't hard to do. I would just watch out for the noodles and rice.

I just spent 30 days in the Philippines. The last time I went during the holidays 09-10, I gained 20 pounds and this time since I was already 240lbs, I couldn't afford to do that again so I concentrated on running and trying to start eating Paleo. I didn't eat a lot of the foods that I ate before, but I also didn't miss them as I started seeing the results. I ended up losing 20lbs and became a believer in this diet/lifestyle. There are so many veggies/fruits, etc in the Philippines that I ate pretty good.