CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:
Transitioning from Weight-Based Training to Gymnastic/Bodyweight Training

Hey everybody I was wondering if some of you could point me in the right direction? Up until this point in my life I've focused a lot on weightlifting and lifting heavy weights as the main source of my fitness program, although CrossFit has helped me balance that out more nowadays. The thing is, where I am right now, I don't feel like doing much in the way of lifting weights all the time is in my best interest or pertain to what my goals are for the future. What I want to do is transition to a more bodyweight and gymnastics-based program, where I can gain control over my whole body and do whatever I want to with it, with a possible venture into freerunning/parkour in the future if I reach that point. I feel like being doing a bodyweight/gymnastics based program will make me happier with my results as I'm not in any power sports like I was in high school and therefore don't place enormous stock into lifting big weights as much as I used to. To me, seeing as I'm still young and spry(ish) I'd want to take full advantage of it by learning how to use my body to its utmost potential in regards to balance, dexterity, flexibility, explosiveness, and possibly even doing aerial maneuvers.

So my question is, how should I go about transitioning from one to the other? I'm almost entirely done with powerlifting of any kind anymore, I only continue to do it simply because I still have some skill at from being a competitive lifter. If I had to continue any sort of lifting at all, I'd only want to stick with Olympic lifting because its pretty new to me, and it would keep some of my strength up but would help support the whole flexibility and explosiveness part of my goals. What I'd mainly want to focus on is building up my skill with gymnastics (from what little I have), and to streamline my body and physique from one that's more squatty and bulky to lean and ripped. So should I just follow a light O-lifting program while working on a few of the basic gymnastics/bodyweight standard exercises until I build up a decent base and can move up a level in intensity and skill? My knowledge about bodyweight and gymnastics work is a lot more limited compared to my knowledge about weightlifting simply because I've been exposed to it more. I've looked up a few articles, like a few of Steven Low's ones, and CF journals about the subject, but I'm still looking for any more info I can gather. So if any of you guys can help a young guy out, feel free to toss me some pointers or a helping hand as much as you can
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Transitioning from Weight-Based Training to Gymnastic/Bodyweight Training

Well, I would suggest buying my book as referenced in these two threads:

wfs
http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Gra.../dp/1467933120

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73868
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73867

Basically, I teach you how to construct a routine for the gymnastics movements (upper body) logically like you would construct a weights/Oly program.

The knowledge can be then utilized to combine it into a hybrid program if you want.

I am also currently writing an article on integrating weights and bodyweight for EMI as well.

Are there any particular questions you have about a routine or one that you want me to critique?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I'd definitely buy Steve's book. Helped me a ton.

Needing to do more body weight stuff, but reshaping my current program once open finishes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I'd definitely buy Steve's book. Helped me a ton.

Needing to do more body weight stuff, but reshaping my current program once open finishes
Excellent. Let me know if you want a critque as well.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to submit an Amazon review too.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:

Oh that's great! I believe the last time I inquired about a bodyweight training related topic you mentioned you were in the process of writing your book Steven so I will definitely look to buy it.

As for questions, I guess it would have to be are the structure of the programs supposed to be based on achieving certain standard skills and work to increase the difficulty of said skills or simply working towards one specific goal or goals by the person participating? For instance, if I were develop a program for myself, would it be to mainly achieve certain goals, say for example vastly improved strength in my shoulder girdle and core, or would it more toward developing my skill in certain exercises like say pistols or handstand pushups? Or rather just a mix of both to achieve the best of both worlds?

My goals for the program would want to be as mentioned with improving my shoulder girdle and core strength, along with grip strength, explosiveness in regards to jumping and pushing/pulling, and then balance and coordination which would help if I ventured into the area of freerunning and aerial gymnastics maneuvers like flips, handstands, and balances.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rumschik View Post
Oh that's great! I believe the last time I inquired about a bodyweight training related topic you mentioned you were in the process of writing your book Steven so I will definitely look to buy it.

As for questions, I guess it would have to be are the structure of the programs supposed to be based on achieving certain standard skills and work to increase the difficulty of said skills or simply working towards one specific goal or goals by the person participating? For instance, if I were develop a program for myself, would it be to mainly achieve certain goals, say for example vastly improved strength in my shoulder girdle and core, or would it more toward developing my skill in certain exercises like say pistols or handstand pushups? Or rather just a mix of both to achieve the best of both worlds?

My goals for the program would want to be as mentioned with improving my shoulder girdle and core strength, along with grip strength, explosiveness in regards to jumping and pushing/pulling, and then balance and coordination which would help if I ventured into the area of freerunning and aerial gymnastics maneuvers like flips, handstands, and balances.
Yes, routines are about achievig your goals....

I mean, developing say handstand pushup obviously makes you stronger in the shoulder girdle and you get a cool skill. So it's mostly the worlds of both which makes it rewarding.

Your plan sounds like a good one. That's what a bunch of the people on APK do for the most part.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:

So with how you were saying your book is mainly about building the upper body strength for a bodyweight focused program, are there any other exercises available for the lower body in particular besides those I know about like squats, pistols, and box jumps? Or is the lower body the one area I'd still need to keep weight training with in order to maintain it's strength and explosiveness?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rumschik View Post
So with how you were saying your book is mainly about building the upper body strength for a bodyweight focused program, are there any other exercises available for the lower body in particular besides those I know about like squats, pistols, and box jumps? Or is the lower body the one area I'd still need to keep weight training with in order to maintain it's strength and explosiveness?
I still recommend utilizing weights for lower body.

As for the reasoning why... we were having a discussion about it:

wfs
http://eatmoveimprove.com/forum/view...php?p=939#p939

If that makes sense after reading it..
Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you don't have access to weights, then I guess the BW stuff is your only option. You can start doing weighted pistols and lunges but generally plates and a barbell are cheaper than a variety of DB/KB. Most people probably won't reach or need to use weighted floor glute-hams and a fewer amount of people will have access to a GHR. Even floor glute-ham raises require an interesting setup typically that some may lack.

I still like the BW stuff even if you have a barbell and plates and/or bumpers. Good for conditioning and mobility. Good if you using a bar hurts for some reason.

I did take about 3 months away from the barbell in the fall of 2010 and only had access to BW methods for the time. The bar sure kicked my butt when I tried using it again after 3 months of pistols and sand running and floor glute ham. Especially when it came to lower back strength and volume in the lifts.

Quote:
and to streamline my body and physique from one that's more squatty and bulky to lean and ripped
Well, I'd say you can lean out but it's pretty darn difficult to lose body mass once you've built it without starving or just neglecting it. I don't think you are going to just shed off a lot of mass built up in your back and lower body very easily.

I'm not really sure I could ever go back to my 125lb self pre barbells even if I got to 5%. I was 5-10% around 150lbs (bare in mind I'm just over 5'). I sure as hell wasn't going to be able to drop to the weight class below 145s (which I think was 132 and I could just get in at 144). At 125, I probably could have been 115-120 if I knew anything about dieting and nutrition in those days but I didn't. Oh well. And it's not like I really would ever want to be that small again unless I could go back and train for pure gymnastics in those days.