CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
"High" Cholesterol at 23

Like the title says. My total was 209 mg/dl, HDL was 65, LDL was 135 and Triglycerides were 43. The Mayo Clinic website (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...levels/CL00001 WFS) tells me that my total is barely high (need to get it below 200), HDL is great (keep above 60), and my LDL needs to come below 130. I'm kind of concerned about it because of (obviously) being so young, and also because I have a family history of heart issues on both sides.

I try to eat fairy clean, usually having a cheat meal for lunch of Friday/cheat day on Saturday. I'm Greyskull LP-ing M/W/F, and only weigh like 163 last I checked.

To start, I figure I'd add in some conditioning on maybe Tuesday and/or Thursday. I was going to do this anyways once it started getting warmer but I guess I have an excuse to start now. I'll post what I eat too to see if that's part of the problem.

Breakfast- Protein shake (8 oz cream, 8 oz whole milk, 2 scoops whey), 1 orange

Lunch- 3 cups spinach and a large chicken breast (I put garlic salt/black pepper on the chicken and cook it in a pan with olive oil, then use the stock and some more olive oil as dressing)

Snack- Turkey sandwich with real cheddar on wheat bread, baby carrots and almonds

PWO- 16 oz OJ mixed with creatine

Dinner (about 45 minutes post-workout)- usually 4 eggs and another protein shake (16 oz whole milk this time). If I'm really hungry I'll add some instant oatmeal or pancakes, and like 4 strips of lower sodium bacon.

I don't want to give up eggs or whole milk, love those things. I also cook my eggs with real butter. I'm not quite sure what else to do but want to get this corrected as soon as possible.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Re: "High" Cholesterol at 23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7u7...e_gdata_player

A must see in my opinion!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV... but given your youth, I would guess you are genetically predisposed to have high total cholesterol.

The good news, however, is that you have excellent HDL and Triglyceride numbers. In the grand scheme of things, cholesterol numbers are predictors of whether you will get heart disease/coronary artery disease. Having low Triglycerides is a good showing that you are at a lower risk. having high (in excess of 60) HDL is also a good showing that you are a lower risk.

Of course, most doctors these days want to throw you on a statin because they have shown to have good results in lowering total cholesterol. There are side effects to statins - be sure you read up on them. Most people do not know that Rhabdo is one of the possible side effects. If you are putting yourself at risk of Rhabdo by doing your workouts, I'd be careful about potentially exacerbating those risks by adding a drug that can be a contributing factor to that condition. My $.02.

There are competing theories on dietary cholesterol (what you ingest) and its impact on the actual amount of cholesterol found in your blood. Do some reading on the subject to see what you think.

Check with your parents to see what their cholesterol numbers are.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Thankfully I have a physical next week, so when I'm discussing this with my doc I'll ask him about my LPA number and my LDL pattern per Tricia's video. I won't let him put me on any meds.

I know my dad's on meds for his cholesterol, and he's also in excellent health at 53, but I'll see if he remembers his numbers.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

Was this LDL number measured or calculated. Sometimes folks with very low trig scores and have artificially inflated LDL scores because of the equation used.

IF you really want to lower the LDL eat a little less fat. Quite honestly if it were me (I'm close to those numbers and I'm 31), I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Was this LDL number measured or calculated. Sometimes folks with very low trig scores and have artificially inflated LDL scores because of the equation used.

IF you really want to lower the LDL eat a little less fat. Quite honestly if it were me (I'm close to those numbers and I'm 31), I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm going to assume it was a measured number, though it didn't exactly say in the letter I received.

I don't plan on changing up much with my diet, maybe just cut out that turkey sandwich. Maybe switch to Canadian bacon instead of regular also (if there's even a difference. I like both anyways)
Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Had my physical last week and got my new numbers:
Total 224
HDL 53
LDL CALCULATED 157
Triglycerides 68

My Blood Urea Nitrogen was also flagged as high (24) but I'm assuming that's because of my high protein diet. My creatinine was 1.2

Obviously I'm a little more concerned now as my HDL went down and everything else went up. Especially since I think I eat cleaner and cheat less than this time last year. Should I post what I eat now?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Michael Dries

Profile:

And what changes have you made in the last year?

My wife has the same profile, high HDL (typically over 80) low Trigs (under 50) and LDL is usually in the 130-170 range. I can't really get her to follow any sort of diet aside from avoiding gluten as often as she can (chronic intake causes migraines for her). The doc isn't worried because of her high HDL, low trig and the fact that she's a woman.

We have noticed a small difference if she removes conventional pork from her diet. Something about the fat in the pork seems to exacerbate her LDL numbers. Egg, beef intake seem to have no effect on her numbers at all.

You may want to look at a lower fat, higher (paleo friendly) carb style diet. Some people just pump out more LDL with higher fat intake than others.

Rice and potatoes. Avoid the gluten and too much non-fruit bound fructose (juices, added sugars, etc).

If you have the means, perhaps modifying your diet and getting blood work done every 3 months or so might help you figure out what works and what doesnt for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Of the numbers you have received the only ones that really indicate anything are your HDL and TG. Your HDL is good and so are your TG, your ratio TG/HDL is less than two which is great. TG/HDL is a very good indicator of heart disease, whereas LDL-C doesn't really mean anything. Please take some time to read this series on cholesterol. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/t...esterol-part-i (wfs). There are 9 parts in total but you will never have another cholesterol question (except maybe trying to understand all of the science presented).

Michael, some studes have shown that "High" cholesterol in women is actually healthier. From your wifes numbers of High HDL, High LDL-C and Low TG I would veture to say that she is quite healthy.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Cholesterol has more to do with genetics. Now triglycerides are more diet related.