CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Robert Hunt

Profile:
Protein Shake Question

Thoughts on a shake for afternoon snack, or possible meal replacement. I work 12 hr shifts as a nurse. I have my breakfast and lunch dialed into where I want it. 3 eggs / 3 tbls olive oil / apple for breakfast. 6 oz chicken / aprox 1.5 - 2 cups of salad made from green peppers, cabbage, carrots for lunch. I would like to add a shake in the afternoon so I am not so hungry when I get home. This is causing me to really shovel it in. I think I am addicted to food, or insulin whatever. Once I start it's hard for me to stop. I've tried almonds and milk. Dont really have time to eat a meal and I would like to try a shake. Also I have read on previous threads about whey soy and creatine. My question, to use creatine properly, do you mix a protein shake and a creatine drink separately and take? Is this what is called stacking? Thanks in advance. My goal is fat loss and to add muscle mass. I would like a low carb shake. But I am under the impression that an insulin spike with the creatine and protein is a desired effect.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Protein Shake Question

You could look into some of the IntermittentFasting diets. Some versions are somewhat tailored for fat loss and muscle gain.

Whey, being dairy, isn't considered Paleo but it's fine unless you are Die-hard Paleo. Egg protein powder is an option as is Beef protein powder (which tends to be VERY expensive) though in general Whey is the most anabolic and absorbs faster than anything.

Creatine is often mixed with some form of sugar as it helps absorb and transport better.

Eating anything, even protein and fat causes an insulin spike.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Gene Pires

Profile:

here is one of usual blender shakes.
big handful of spinach (never can get enough spinach)
bunch of frozen berries
small amount of walnuts (optional)
some kind of liquid (almond milk, reg milk or coconut milk)
1 scoop of whey

without the berries, it is a nice looking green drink. Berries make it kinda brown n ugly but tastes better.
My wife puts some tofu in hers for a creamy texture.
Magic bullet is a great sized blender for single serving shakes.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Tony Greene

Profile:

fat does not raise insulin levels. carbs do quite a bit, protein does also, but to a lesser degree than carbs.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hunt View Post
Thoughts on a shake for afternoon snack, or possible meal replacement. I work 12 hr shifts as a nurse. I have my breakfast and lunch dialed into where I want it. 3 eggs / 3 tbls olive oil / apple for breakfast. 6 oz chicken / aprox 1.5 - 2 cups of salad made from green peppers, cabbage, carrots for lunch. I would like to add a shake in the afternoon so I am not so hungry when I get home. This is causing me to really shovel it in. I think I am addicted to food, or insulin whatever. Once I start it's hard for me to stop. I've tried almonds and milk. Dont really have time to eat a meal and I would like to try a shake. Also I have read on previous threads about whey soy and creatine. My question, to use creatine properly, do you mix a protein shake and a creatine drink separately and take? Is this what is called stacking? Thanks in advance. My goal is fat loss and to add muscle mass. I would like a low carb shake. But I am under the impression that an insulin spike with the creatine and protein is a desired effect.
You can mix creatine in with your protein shake. That is a great way for many people to take it (assuming you have unflavored monohydrate or the like).
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Greene View Post
fat does not raise insulin levels. carbs do quite a bit, protein does also, but to a lesser degree than carbs.
kind of a blanket statement that can be both correct and incorrect. lower GI carbs such as brown rice, sweet potato, steel cut oats, ezekiel toast etc will have very little impact on blood sugar levels. combined with fats and or proteins even less (GI Load of a meal). The best way to determine the effect of food intake within the body is to monitor your blood sugar levels via glucometer.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
John C Corona

Profile:

Green smoothie! Few ripe bananas, some mangoes, berries, water, and lots of greens. You need more greens man if all you have is 2 cups of salad. So whatever you choose to base the shake on, do not be shy and throw in handfulls of spinach or chard or kale (kale being the MOST bitter so start with only a few leaves).

Checking your blood sugar is a good thing to make sure the fruit doesnt cause you to spike to high. I never spike over 155 mg/dl, but we're all different.

...im not a whey powder guy, so I do hemp protein sometimes.

Last edited by John C Corona : 03-06-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Green smoothie! Few ripe bananas, some mangoes, berries, water, and lots of greens. You need more greens man if all you have is 2 cups of salad. So whatever you choose to base the shake on, do not be shy and throw in handfulls of spinach or chard or kale (kale being the MOST bitter so start with only a few leaves).

Checking your blood sugar is a good thing to make sure the fruit doesnt cause you to spike to high. I never spike over 155 mg/dl, but we're all different.

...im not a whey powder guy, so I do hemp protein sometimes.
Agreed. Don't be shy with the greens. You can pretty much add as much spinach as you want and you won't be able to taste it. Broccoli is also good if you have a decent blender. Frozen carrots are good, too.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Collin Thompson

Profile:

RE spinach: careful if there's kidney stones in your family history!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
RE spinach: careful if there's kidney stones in your family history!
I've heard this before. I've also heard it only applied to cooked spinach. Not sure where that comes from though. There's only 3% daily calcium intake in a serving of spinach. I've had kidney stones before I ate much vegetables. I eat loads of spinach now. Spinach for at least two, if not three meals a day. I haven't had kidney stones in a long time. Not saying it's at all related, but I wouldn't worry about that at all. Cram all the spinach down you can, it's good for you. Never heard Popeye complaining about kidney stones.