CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Nichole Palmisano

Profile:
No way this works

So I am a 29 year old Female. 5'3 and 120 Lbs. I have been working out for about 10 years. I just can't see how Crossfit WOD's can make me lean and fit. I feel like the workouts are so short that i won't get any benefit from it. I have mostly done only cardio with one or two days of strength training. I'm looking to tone up (not bulk) and get rid of some jiggle. I know the WOD isn't going to be enough to achieve this. So i guess my question is what else should I be doing in addition to the WOD? All the pictures i see of these girls who look amazing by doing Crossfit have got to absoutely be doing someting else besides just the WOD.

Thank you
Nichole
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:
Re: No way this works

Just do it for a few months and you'll see. It will be some of the hardest workouts that you have ever done, but it's addicting and fun. I was in a similar situation before I started crossfit, I did conventional weight training and some cardio. Thought I was in pretty good shape until I did my first wod. Give it an honest shot for a few months and you will be happily surprised. Also get proper rest and nutrition.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

First and foremost, you need to practice nutrition as recommended by Crossfit. That is paramaount.

Second, many novices make the mistake of adding more programming, rather than taking on the WOD with 100% intensity. Really, giving the WOD 80-90% and then adding more volume to make up for lack of intensity gets much poorer results than just doing giving the WOD a true 100%.

For example, we did a WOD the other day where we were like "this is it?" It was a 500m row as fast as possible, exactly three min rest, repeated for four total rounds. I did 1:33, 1:33, 1:35, 1:39. It was one of the most miserable WODs ever, believe it or not.

Next, you can't cherry pick the WOD's you like, and skip the ones you're not good at. Crossfit only works if you do the programming as prescribed (with proper scaling as needed).

Then, add a little extra strength work if necessary, such as some squatting, deadlifting, or thrusters after the WOD.

Last, you're not going to "bulk" up that easy. If that were the case, every male in the typical globogym would be walking around at 300# ripped. It doesn't happen like that.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole Palmisano View Post
So I am a 29 year old Female. 5'3 and 120 Lbs. I have been working out for about 10 years. I just can't see how Crossfit WOD's can make me lean and fit. I feel like the workouts are so short that i won't get any benefit from it. I have mostly done only cardio with one or two days of strength training. I'm looking to tone up (not bulk) and get rid of some jiggle. I know the WOD isn't going to be enough to achieve this. So i guess my question is what else should I be doing in addition to the WOD? All the pictures i see of these girls who look amazing by doing Crossfit have got to absoutely be doing someting else besides just the WOD.

Thank you
Nichole
Have you actually done any of the workouts?

Quality is far more important than quantity when it comes to training. I can do my 5/3/1 squats, assistance work, and a 10 minute conditioning workout and be in and out of the gym in 45 minutes or less. Does that mean I've gotten an inferior workout to the people slogging away on an elliptical for an hour a day?

And no, none of the top-level CFers are doing CF.com alone. For the most part they're doing individually-designed programs based around CF principles but also including additional strength and skill work.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:

Thank you
Nichole
I'll take that bet.

Interval training >>>>> Cardio exercise, according not only every reputable study out there, but from personal experience.

Sincerely, former middle distance/distance runner.

Hell, I even did better at the long, endurance stuff when I was doing mostly intervals/shorter, intense runs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39...for-belly-fat/
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I though the same thing when I started. Once you get use to the movements and you intensity goes up, you will see! Give it a chance. Make a log in the workout section and watch your progress.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Nichole Palmisano

Profile:

Thanks for everyone's input. I have only done like two days of the workouts. My first day was the 100 pullups, situps, squats, and pushups(still sore lol), then i did the max day. yesterday i didn't get home till 10pm so i'm going to do 7 minutes of Burpees. I think that's going to suck though. I'm definitly going to give it a try! Hopefully it will give me great results! Im just sooooo used of cardio, cardio,cardio
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Im just sooooo used of cardio, cardio,cardio
Then it is time for a change!

Have fun!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Like the gentleman above me stated, just follow the mainsite at 3 days on 1 off for a few months and see how it goes. I started back in Sept. I had a good weightlifting base (did lots of squats, PC's, pull-ups and dips before CF). I started to burn out a bit following the mainpage religously. I was strong enough to do most of the WOD's as Rx'd but not ready for the volume. I've sinced backed-off the mainpage and follow a different CF program.

I'd be surprised if the mainpage wasn't "enough" for you. Also a lean physique is just as much diet as it is exercise. So if you're shooting for a leaner look you have to be strict with your diet. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
I'm looking to tone up (not bulk) and get rid of some jiggle.
Tone usually refers to firm muscles combined with low body fat. Body fat jiggles, less body fat less jiggle.

Firm muscles come from strength training and strength endurance training.

Low body fat comes primarily from good nutrition with smart workout programing being a secondary contributor. Strength training helps a lot more then your cardio, cardio and more cardio.

Pick a nutritional plan and follow it to the letter. Paleo or Zone are the two most popular here. The women you see in those picture eat this way as a way of life.

Follow CrossFit.com's 3 on 1 off to the best of your ability for 90 days while eating correctly and see what happens.

You just have a head full of old beliefs. I'm assuming it wasn't working that is why you still want to tone up and lose jiggle. I too came to CrossFit having followed the old way with poor results. The one difference was I knew it wasn't working and saw the results in CrossFit.

Long ago I learned "If you want what they have, do what they did."