CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Chris Stein

Profile:
Mass Gain

hey there fellow crossfitters, i have a dilemma. always had a problem keeping or gaining weight. i know crossfit burns a ton of calories and no matter how much i eat i cant seem to put on any mass. problem that lies within that is i leave soon to go to Ranger School for the Army where i have been told its common to lose up to 20 pounds. any tips for putting on mass very quickly other than eating more? aint got much time ya'll so any tips would be great along the lines of diets, supplements, etc. Thasnks!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Mass Gain

GOMAD. (Gallon of milk a day.) On top of whatever you're already eating.

Katherine
Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Burgers, pizzas, beer, chocolate, ...Oreos!!

Depending on how much time you've got - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm (wfs)
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stein View Post
any tips for putting on mass very quickly other than eating more?
Don't work out?

Those are about your two options (or combining the two)> Take in more calories or burn less calories.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stein View Post
hey there fellow crossfitters, i have a dilemma. always had a problem keeping or gaining weight. i know crossfit burns a ton of calories and no matter how much i eat i cant seem to put on any mass. problem that lies within that is i leave soon to go to Ranger School for the Army where i have been told its common to lose up to 20 pounds. any tips for putting on mass very quickly other than eating more? aint got much time ya'll so any tips would be great along the lines of diets, supplements, etc. Thasnks!
I am gonna call nonsense on that one.

Whenever people say they have trouble putting on weight or that they're eating so much, yet losing weight, it's usually because they are vastly overestimating their food intake. Add up all the intake, and you get something like 1800 calories of chicken breast and broccoli, yeah, no surprise you're losing weight.

Why don't you actually count how much you eat, and then eat 4000 or 5000 calories and see if you are still losing weight. Also, Crossfit doesn't burn that many calories, the metcons are usually quite short (about 30 min or so), as are the lifting workouts. I'd be surprised to see more than 1000 calories a day being burned on regular Crossfit, nothing that can't be overcome with milk and steaks.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

If you do not care if it is lean mass, there are two tried and true methods more pleasurable than drinking a gallon of milk a day.

1. daily beer and salty nuts or

2. daily wine and cheese

Needless to say this is not the healthiest option, but you are sure to gain weight. The combinations are synergistic--the more you eat, the more you drink.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J. Fleming View Post
If you do not care if it is lean mass, there are two tried and true methods more pleasurable than drinking a gallon of milk a day.

1. daily beer and salty nuts or

2. daily wine and cheese

Needless to say this is not the healthiest option, but you are sure to gain weight. The combinations are synergistic--the more you eat, the more you drink.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I am gonna call nonsense on that one.

Whenever people say they have trouble putting on weight or that they're eating so much, yet losing weight, it's usually because they are vastly overestimating their food intake. Add up all the intake, and you get something like 1800 calories of chicken breast and broccoli, yeah, no surprise you're losing weight.

Why don't you actually count how much you eat, and then eat 4000 or 5000 calories and see if you are still losing weight. Also, Crossfit doesn't burn that many calories, the metcons are usually quite short (about 30 min or so), as are the lifting workouts. I'd be surprised to see more than 1000 calories a day being burned on regular Crossfit, nothing that can't be overcome with milk and steaks.
This is true ^.

Putting on weight is actually very simple and can be done without the gallon of milk a day thing.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Cain Papettas

Profile:

Hey guys while where on the subject which i was going to post a thread, how can an easy gainer put on lean muscle mass without becoming fat again, metcon 5 days a week and 531 3 days 145lbs 5"9
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Papettas View Post
Hey guys while where on the subject which i was going to post a thread, how can an easy gainer put on lean muscle mass without becoming fat again, metcon 5 days a week and 531 3 days 145lbs 5"9
At that activity level I don't think you could get fat even if you wanted to. DO NOT try to limit your calorie intake unless you want to burn out in a hurry.