CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Chris Stein
Member Chris Stein is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Huntsville  AL
Posts: 1
Mass Gain

hey there fellow crossfitters, i have a dilemma. always had a problem keeping or gaining weight. i know crossfit burns a ton of calories and no matter how much i eat i cant seem to put on any mass. problem that lies within that is i leave soon to go to Ranger School for the Army where i have been told its common to lose up to 20 pounds. any tips for putting on mass very quickly other than eating more? aint got much time ya'll so any tips would be great along the lines of diets, supplements, etc. Thasnks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Mass Gain

GOMAD. (Gallon of milk a day.) On top of whatever you're already eating.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Graeme Moore
Member Graeme Moore is offline
 
Graeme Moore's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newcastle  Tyne & Wear UK
Posts: 398
Re: Mass Gain

Burgers, pizzas, beer, chocolate, ...Oreos!!

Depending on how much time you've got - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm (wfs)
__________________
"There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pu**y." - Rip
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: Mass Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stein View Post
any tips for putting on mass very quickly other than eating more?
Don't work out?

Those are about your two options (or combining the two)> Take in more calories or burn less calories.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko
Banned Dimitri Dziabenko is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto  ON
Posts: 1,080
Re: Mass Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stein View Post
hey there fellow crossfitters, i have a dilemma. always had a problem keeping or gaining weight. i know crossfit burns a ton of calories and no matter how much i eat i cant seem to put on any mass. problem that lies within that is i leave soon to go to Ranger School for the Army where i have been told its common to lose up to 20 pounds. any tips for putting on mass very quickly other than eating more? aint got much time ya'll so any tips would be great along the lines of diets, supplements, etc. Thasnks!
I am gonna call nonsense on that one.

Whenever people say they have trouble putting on weight or that they're eating so much, yet losing weight, it's usually because they are vastly overestimating their food intake. Add up all the intake, and you get something like 1800 calories of chicken breast and broccoli, yeah, no surprise you're losing weight.

Why don't you actually count how much you eat, and then eat 4000 or 5000 calories and see if you are still losing weight. Also, Crossfit doesn't burn that many calories, the metcons are usually quite short (about 30 min or so), as are the lifting workouts. I'd be surprised to see more than 1000 calories a day being burned on regular Crossfit, nothing that can't be overcome with milk and steaks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Kevin J. Fleming
Member Kevin J. Fleming is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 120
Re: Mass Gain

If you do not care if it is lean mass, there are two tried and true methods more pleasurable than drinking a gallon of milk a day.

1. daily beer and salty nuts or

2. daily wine and cheese

Needless to say this is not the healthiest option, but you are sure to gain weight. The combinations are synergistic--the more you eat, the more you drink.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Graeme Moore
Member Graeme Moore is offline
 
Graeme Moore's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newcastle  Tyne & Wear UK
Posts: 398
Re: Mass Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J. Fleming View Post
If you do not care if it is lean mass, there are two tried and true methods more pleasurable than drinking a gallon of milk a day.

1. daily beer and salty nuts or

2. daily wine and cheese

Needless to say this is not the healthiest option, but you are sure to gain weight. The combinations are synergistic--the more you eat, the more you drink.
__________________
"There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pu**y." - Rip
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Mass Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I am gonna call nonsense on that one.

Whenever people say they have trouble putting on weight or that they're eating so much, yet losing weight, it's usually because they are vastly overestimating their food intake. Add up all the intake, and you get something like 1800 calories of chicken breast and broccoli, yeah, no surprise you're losing weight.

Why don't you actually count how much you eat, and then eat 4000 or 5000 calories and see if you are still losing weight. Also, Crossfit doesn't burn that many calories, the metcons are usually quite short (about 30 min or so), as are the lifting workouts. I'd be surprised to see more than 1000 calories a day being burned on regular Crossfit, nothing that can't be overcome with milk and steaks.
This is true ^.

Putting on weight is actually very simple and can be done without the gallon of milk a day thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Cain Papettas
Member Cain Papettas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne  VIC Australia
Posts: 199
Re: Mass Gain

Hey guys while where on the subject which i was going to post a thread, how can an easy gainer put on lean muscle mass without becoming fat again, metcon 5 days a week and 531 3 days 145lbs 5"9
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,401
Re: Mass Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Papettas View Post
Hey guys while where on the subject which i was going to post a thread, how can an easy gainer put on lean muscle mass without becoming fat again, metcon 5 days a week and 531 3 days 145lbs 5"9
At that activity level I don't think you could get fat even if you wanted to. DO NOT try to limit your calorie intake unless you want to burn out in a hurry.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mass Gain Josh Black Fitness 24 09-27-2010 08:11 AM
SS vs. PM Mass Gain Jakub Kruhlik Fitness 51 11-08-2009 02:56 PM
IF for mass gain? Chris H Laing Nutrition 20 10-11-2008 02:04 PM
Muscle mass gain Frank Menendez Nutrition 4 02-08-2006 10:56 AM
Mass gain on the zone Keith Nutrition 0 10-21-2004 10:09 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.