CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Kelly Alford

Profile:
Alright ladies... surviving "that week" ans sweets cravings??

OK female crossfit population. Time to dish. For real.

I need to know what you do to survive the week before "shark week" (ahem) when it comes to the desire to devour mass quantities of chocolate & sweets and basically anything that is CRAP for you????

I've been doing pretty well, staying away from processed yuckness, eating clean at least 80% of the time, but when it comes to time? It. is. out. the. window. Cereal. Chocolate. Caramels. Girl Scout Cookies.....

Soooooooo..........What do YOU do??
Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Courtney Green

Profile:
Re: Alright ladies... surviving "that week" ans sweets cravings??

Hmm, it can be quite tempting. I also have the same cravings. I eat a 75% or higher cocoa content chocolate bar with no guilt. This is technically paleo (or at least primal if you follow Mark Sisson's primal eating guidelines). Granted, you don't want to eat chocolate bars everyday, but since this is just a one time a month thing, you're not going to break the bank by indulging on some dark chocolate. As long as it's in moderation, you're good.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

I will say this, I'm smart enough to never tell a woman to "suck it up" during that time. I have no idea how it feels to be hormonally screwed up therefore I have no opinion on how to deal with that.

However I CAN give you some info on what my wife has done.

For her, the big thing is avoiding gluten. She used to get migraines and it seems gluten is a huge trigger for them.

She doesn't get the sweet tooth so much as a craving for "salty Crunchy" as she puts it. 100% corn chips or cashews seem to hit the spot for her.

As for sweets, your best bet is to get some 70% or higher quality dark chocolate with minimal ingredients. Lindt makes a yummy 70% and 80% dark chocolate bar that's usually around $1.99 at my local grocer, your cost may vary.

Also sweeter fruits, grapes, berries, mellons might hit the spot as well. But if it's a pure chocolate craving, go for the dark stuff.

As usually the typical stuff applies... keep the garbage out of the house, don't buy it, don't go shopping when you're craving bad food, etc ,etc.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Kelly Alford

Profile:

That's the problem... moderation... It's rediculous...

I guess one solution I have found is to chew cinnamon gum- the cinnamonnyness (new word! woo!) lingers and kinds gives that "just brushed my teeth" taste when I go to snarf down something sweet.. but geez...
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Kelly Alford

Profile:

Michael, I may have to give another go at ditching gluten. I am a BIG migraine sufferer- just got a scrip written for Imitrex. :P How long did she go without it before noticing a difference in her migraines?

Most of what I have around is "good stuff" - Lindt Chocolate, actually, and Trader Joe's Dark bars. (then there are those GS cookies...and dark chocolate salted carmels...)

Has anyone noticed- more sleep = less crave?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

Yes, more sleep=less crave, no matter what time of the month it is.

I also used to suffer from terrible headaches and fibromyalgia, not necessarily always migraines, and I don't think I've had more than one attack in the last year and a half since ditching grains. It's like a miracle for me. These were like 3-day-long suffering sessions that no pain reliever helped, and now they're completely gone. For me, the trigger is definitely bread. I can consume small amounts of grain in other forms (and I do mean SMALL amounts) without having too many symptoms, but bread makes me feel horrible every time so I have quit it completely. Pretty life-changing to have finally figured it out.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Alyssa Ward

Profile:

Hi! Not really a cross-fitter, yet, but I have been watching what I eat. I use a free calorie counter (myfitnesspal.com), to cap how much I can eat, but during that time I let myself indulge within my calorie allotment. I'm guessing that you are like me, where it is literally a non-ignorable, all-consuming, need to have chocolate. I've literally walked the streets of Baltimore at night because I needed to have chocolate and don't keep it in the house.

So, I usually do pretty much what other people suggested. Dark chocolate, broken into smaller pieces so I eat it slower. Also, melting down dark chocolate, mixing it with peanut butter, and spreading on a granny smith apple is my go to. It is decently filling, overwhelmingly sweet, and not as bad for you as it could be. I think, for me, I need rich sweetness, so fruits by themselves don't cut it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I eat the sweets but try to do so in moderation. I've found that the deliciousness is in the first several bites, so I savor those and that usually satisfies my craving.