CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Nathan Schnur

Profile:
Basic HBBS form

Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback/advice on my hbbs

here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQmH2...91AUAAAAAAAAAA

one problem im having is my hip flexors seem to be hurting alot till i get a good amount of weight on. I messed them up as a kid, maybe 8-9 years ago and have not had any real problems since, until now when ive been getting a lot of squat volume.

Thanks everybody!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Basic HBBS form

For HBBS, I'd want them consistently deeper.

Hands need to be firm on the bar--either good grip or pinning them on the bar. They look really loose here.

Feel like you are leaning/falling a little forward.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Clean grip width, take the vest off, practice getting in the hole and getting (or bouncing) out, more vertical chest i.e. less back arching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl3Vldo7x4c WFS
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

Thanks for the help guys!
yea had the vest on today just for sh*ts and gigs, probably could have taken that off.
Ill post another vid later this week. Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Need to get far deeper, man. Maybe experiment with your stance and see how it affects it? You seem to start dancing around midway through, perhaps your stance is throwing you off.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Deeper like already said. get the hip crease below the knee. You are right, seems the hip flexers are stalling your squat. For me, I go heels at shoulder width, toes out. Try to remember to drive your knees out from the top of the squat and keep them out. That may help getting deeper in the squat.

Arms. wrist should be inline with your forearms. and elbows back and up. With your wrist under the bar you are carring some of the load on your wrist/elbows. The load should always be on the back and hands are to pin it in place, not load bearing.

Back. at the bottom of the squat you let your chest drop forward which made you walk arround, it also changed the angle of the squat sending the weight forward.

Fix, tight core through out the lift. I do'nt know how your core strength is but you can't let you core flex during the squat.

Few tips here. Elbows back( make an effort to tighten your shoulders and shove you elboes up out of the rack) Take a deep breath at the top of the squat befor you drop, HOLD BREATH till you stand up. That will help keep you core tight through out the rep. At the top of each rep take another breath and go again.

I know this is alot, just work on one thing at a time. Keep at it. just a few tweaks and you will be solid.

Last edited by Nik Nichols : 02-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Gary Sorrentino

Profile:

Like everyone else said you need to hit deeper, and try to keep your chest up as much as you can. Make sure you focus on driving your knees out as much as you can throughout the entire lift. The more you can open your hips, the easier it will be to achieve full depth. One thing I like to do especially when I go heavy is to flex my traps as hard as I can and squeeze the bar against them reallyyyy hard. The bar feels completely secure, and squeezing everything that hard, along with your core, makes heavy lifts feel better.