CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Roast chicken for Dummies

I made this for dinner the other night, and decided it was too simple and delicious not to share. It's Paleo, for those who care.

Start with skin-on chicken pieces, either breasts or legs, or both. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.

Rub with spices of your choice and a little oil. I used cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, black pepper, and salt, but pretty much any commercial spice rub would work, too.

Pre-heat oven to 450F.

Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in an oven-proof skillet large enough to hold all the chicken in one layer. When oil is hot, but not smoking, brown the chicken for 6-8 minutes, turning once.

Turn the chicken skin side up and put skillet in oven. Roast until cooked through, 16-18 minutes for breasts, 20-25 minutes for legs.

Remove chicken to a platter. Deglaze the pan with a half-cup of water. Transfer this pan sauce to a bowl, skim off excess fat, and serve.

Original recipe from Ruth Reichl at Gourmet Magazine:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...threcipe2.html (WFS)

Enjoy!

Katherine
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Kelly Alford

Profile:
Re: Roast chicken for Dummies

This is almost exactly what I do every. single. Sunday. (at least at this time of year, when grilling is not a real great option!)

It has become habit, it just turns out so good!!!!

FWIW, I use a cooler oven and cook for about 45 min. I also season liberally with Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning or Florida Seasoning Pepper.

Cook extra and you have instant lunch for the next day, too.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

How does the skin turn out with the cooler oven? I find the higher temperature makes it nice and crisp, and renders out almost all of the fat.

Katherine
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Chili Lime Chicken by Nick Massie. (WFS) CrossFit Journal video. I've made this once and it is delicious. I may have to try your recipe next though.
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Kelly Alford

Profile:

I tried it at the higher temp/faster cook time tonight, just to see the difference. . The higher temp does give a nicer, crispier skin, but the meat itself (I use leg quarters) was a bit drier. It was still really, really good- but I think I prefer the longer cook for the juiciereat factor. It's a tough call since the skin *was* really good and crispy, though! Maybe next week I will try low n slow with a quick hit of the broiler at the end to crisp the skin.

(btw my phone just auto corrected "broiler" to toilet". True story. That changes the whole cooking method a bit, hm? Lol)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

More research needed!

Katherine
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

I tried this today with boneless pork rib chops because that was what I had in the fridge and this looked good. Had no idea how it would turn out but figured it was worth a try. I am getting tired of my tried and true recipes day in/day out. The chops are superb done this way. I wouldn't want to try it with a leaner cut, but these are incredibly tender and juicy. They were only about 3/4" thick, so I cut the oven time to about 9-10 minutes at 450 after browning. I seasoned some with a Greek seasoning and some with garlic, cumin, salt and a little cayenne pepper. Yum! Thanks, Katherine. Your posts are always well-thought-out, informative and useful.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis View Post
I tried this today with boneless pork rib chops because that was what I had in the fridge and this looked good. Had no idea how it would turn out but figured it was worth a try. I am getting tired of my tried and true recipes day in/day out. The chops are superb done this way. I wouldn't want to try it with a leaner cut, but these are incredibly tender and juicy. They were only about 3/4" thick, so I cut the oven time to about 9-10 minutes at 450 after browning. I seasoned some with a Greek seasoning and some with garlic, cumin, salt and a little cayenne pepper. Yum! Thanks, Katherine. Your posts are always well-thought-out, informative and useful.
Hadn't thought of trying it with pork, but sure, why not? As you point out, very lean cuts wouldn't do well with this treatment, but pretty much any fatty cut would.

Katherine
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Kim Allen

Profile:

I roast chicken every week but never thought of searing it so this sound delicious. I always use the caress for soup and I find chicken broth comes out 100% better when you are using roasted chicken and a lot of the drippings from that pan.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Kelly Alford

Profile:

We are skipping our rast chicken this week for the first time in...forever (in favor of crockpotted barbacoa beef!! yum!) BUT we did it last week- I did low and slow as I usually do, and then hit it with the broiler for a couple minutes at the very end. The skin was not AS crispy and awesome as the hotter/faster BUT it was crispier and the chicken was still melty-moist.

Next experiment is maybe a different cooking vessel and go with the high temp!