CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Blood work came back awful!

Okay, so I've been doing paleo for some time now, and starting two weeks ago, I started limiting fruit down to 1-2 pieces a day (I still haven't lost this stubborn belly fat - it's been over a YEAR). And for the first time I had blood work done at my doctors.

My concern is that NONE of the results were in the reccomended ranges, and I don't feel like I've been doing anything wrong. Here's what I'm looking at

Image of blood work results WFS (also attached below)

Here I was thinking I was doing a damn good job, and spouting off the benefits of this to everyone, the entire time I'm clearly doing something wrong.

My only fault is that I don't eat grass-fed meats. I eat a ton of veggies, again, nothing organic, that's all outside the budget. Is just that one minor slip-up shooting me in the foot? I was going by the old adage of doing my best, not sweating being perfect.

(note - I've got other blood work results that I'm willing to share, just didn't want to post the whole thing for the sake of brevity.)

x-posted to a less-visited nutrition specific forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mrvrock_blood.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	9012  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Greg Davis OG

Profile:
Re: Blood work came back awful!

Do you have pre-Paleo blood work numbers to compare them to? That would be a good measure to see where, if and how much you've improved. If not, then it's hard to tell what the changes were since you've gone Paleo.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Unfortunately I do not. And I thought about that after I posted. It's just really dis-heartening to see them not be at the paleo recommended levels. I've been getting frustrated often lately with my performance levels, though I have seen gains in some areas (mostly bodyweight movements)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Can't comment on the blood work but I can say that Paleo isn't magic and that if you're carrying excess body fat you will need to limit caloric intake.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:
Wink Re: Blood work came back awful!

Lower saturated fats

Lower food intake

More fiber.

Positively effect those labs.

I was eating dairy and grains when my labs were the best. But I had a lower food intake, ate fibrous foods , had oats and Greek yogurt.

This crap about eating lArge amounts of meat and you cholesterol getting better is crap
Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
This crap about eating lArge amounts of meat and you cholesterol getting better is crap

Agreed. I think paleo is good for the most part, but you can't just eat mass amounts of meat. Not having your meat be grass fed or organic won't up your cholesterol. How much vegetables are you eating? It seems a lot of paleo people focus so much on getting tons of protein that the attention to vegetables falls by the wayside. Give a sample diet for a day.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Shane Cox

Profile:

Those numbers don't look terrible to me, but without knowing what they were before...maybe they're better, maybe they're worse.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Greg Davis OG

Profile:

your blood work, had it been taken a year ago for a baseline may have been horrific, so you don't know if you've achieved improvements. However, I don't think your blood work is horrible.

Asa for Paleo and "eating massive amounts of protein" I don't recall reading aanywhere in any Paleo books that I've read whre it suggested that. I do recall discussions around calorie intake and making sure it's not too high if you're looking to lose fat. I also recall reading where if you ate more protein (not massive amounts, but increased protein vs carbs) that you would feel full faster, you'd by default consume less calories and you would achieve great results without feeling hungry all the time. I went Paleo 9 months ago, thought i was in good shape before Paleo, ended up losing 25 pounds in 6 weeks and getting down to 6.6% body fat. I ate a lot of meat, some fat and a lot of veggies and some fruit. But I don't think I had a massive calorie increase. seemed to work well for me and I still eat that way, but add some brown rice when i'm trying to gain weight
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Daniel Dean

Profile:

I don't know where the "Paleo Recommended" numbers are from, but they are whack and stressing you out unnecessarily.

There is nothing, NOTHING, awful about those numbers. Seriously, those numbers are great, even the most statin-happy doctor wouldn't offer a liptor scip to a patient with your bloodwork.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...levels/CL00001 WFS
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

I am not a doctor but your numbers look pretty much perfect to me. A heck of a lot of people out there would love to have their numbers come back looking like that. What did your doctor say about these results?

I don't know where you got the "Paleo Recommended" stuff from but there is no such universally agreed upon thing. I guess you got these numbers from some particular source? They look wacky to me. I can't imagine anyone would really suggest that HDL < 50 is a good thing. This should probably by HDL > 50.

In any case, going by the typical medical community standards, your numbers are great. You may think your calculated LDL is high but triglycerides are part of this calculation and low triglycerides can cause this number to appear artificially high. Low triglycerides are a good thing.

My advice -- keep up what you are doing. It is working great.