CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Forrest Wolfe

Profile:
Protein Powder, Creatine and other supplements.

Hello all, I was wondering what you all would recommend in the way of protein powders (specifically brands, and where to buy). I currently am using the GNC AMP product mainly because it was on sale for real cheap, but it also has a good amount of protein and a nice amino acid stack. My concern is that it isnít really the highest quality protein powder I could be using; so I was just curious if there were others that were better or if I am doing alright with this stuff.

Secondly, I am using Creatine Hydrochloride (again GNCís Amplified Creatine product) and had basically the same question as above. Should I switch back to the Monohydrate that was popular in high school? I tried Creatine Esther for a while and wasnít exactly sold. Is there a tangible difference? I should note that I prefer pills over powders.

Lastly, are there any other types of supplements I should consider taking?

Thanks for any recommendations and advice!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Donald Lagrange

Profile:
Re: Protein Powder, Creatine and other supplements.

I like ********'s products.

Most important supplement is your omega 3's. If you only take one thing, that's it.

Sounds like with what you're looking at, you may want to check out some BCAA's as well.

Last edited by Donald Lagrange : 02-15-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Forrest Wolfe

Profile:

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out ********'s products.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

******** is overpriced multilevel marketing crap. Beware whoever sells you their stuff, they're going to pressure you to sign up as a distributor because it helps make them money.

At Large Nutrition makes some good stuff like Nitrean and Nitrean+ and Chris Mason (their owner) is active on this board so you can ask him questions about his products, or you can get whey isolate or whey concentrate pretty cheap from brands like Optimum Nutrition on bodybuilding.com. Creatine monohydrate is the way to go but different brands vary in their purity levels. I haven't had any bloating problems or anything else with this stuff (WFS) and I'm still going off the same tub I bought in June. Using the code "GOM602" at checkout on that site will give you $5 off your first order.

Fish oil and Vitamin D3 (especially in Alaska, especially in winter) are also good ones to take. Anything other than that will kinda be on an individual basis.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
******** is overpriced multilevel marketing crap. Beware whoever sells you their stuff, they're going to pressure you to sign up as a distributor because it helps make them money.

At Large Nutrition makes some good stuff like Nitrean and Nitrean+ and Chris Mason (their owner) is active on this board so you can ask him questions about his products, or you can get whey isolate or whey concentrate pretty cheap from brands like Optimum Nutrition on bodybuilding.com. Creatine monohydrate is the way to go but different brands vary in their purity levels. I haven't had any bloating problems or anything else with this stuff (WFS) and I'm still going off the same tub I bought in June. Using the code "GOM602" at checkout on that site will give you $5 off your first order.

Fish oil and Vitamin D3 (especially in Alaska, especially in winter) are also good ones to take. Anything other than that will kinda be on an individual basis.
This is excellent advice. I will second the reccomendation for Nitrean from AtLarge, and ON's products. This is pretty much exactly what I do. AtLarge actually also makes a very good, high quality creatine product - that is inexpensive. The only thing I might add from this is a good multi-vitamin, depending on your diet.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Go to BJs wholesale club or Sam's club and buy EAS Myoplex 100% Whey Protein. It is only $32 for a 5lb bag. I haven't seen anyone post a better quality protein for that price.
m/28/5'8"/160|BS 330|SP 175|DL 410|Snatch 205|CJ 245|Diane 2:26|Fran 2:23|Isabel 2:59| WOD Journal|Team Diesel - Regionals 2013|
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Nitrean+ is my choice, and go with the monohydrate.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Jody Dyess

Profile:

Great questions, and there is a lot of information out and some of it very conflicting.After I opened my box (CrossFit Truth) we got this question a ton from new and experienced CrossFitters alike. Progenex is pretty much "the" Crossfit protein powder, however Chris Mason with At Large nutrition makes great stuff.

On the supplements side we never could find exactly what we thought was a good combo of quality, price, and what we feel is the right stuff. So we developed something for our personal use and our box members and we had a great response. If your interested check out www.wodpak.com(WFS link) and let us know what you think.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I agree with Eric's thoughts on ********, pure marketing junk IMHO.

I take ON ProComplex. I have taken it for several years now and never had a problem with it, and it fits my needs for every type of reason I would need/want to take protein.

Past that I take 3k mg of Fish Oil (actually 3k mg of just EPA/DHA alone) and a multi. Every once in a while I'll run some zinc, or something just to see if I notice anything but I usually don't. To be honest I don't notice anything from the Fish Oil but I guess that's the thing, it works without you knowing it does.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Dyess View Post
Progenex is pretty much "the" Crossfit protein powder,....
Any company that has to partake in this would never get my business....

http://www.ripoffreport.com/business...tory-b3660.htm (wfs - the link has the audio that has a few cuss words though)