CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Matt Motley

Profile:
exertion headache?

Monday night, I was doing our gym's WOD. It had some OH squats. About 15 or so, I had the sudden terrible headache. Instant onset and could barely finish the WOD. Pain was coming up the right rear of my neck up to my head. Went home, ate some advil, showered and went to sleep. Woke up feeling a little better and tried some chin ups. Instant on set again terrible headache. Well here I am on Thursday night and I'm still dealing with headaches in the same area. They are not as severe as when the started during the workout, but still painful. I originaly thought it was an exertion headache, but shouldn't it be gone by now? Should I be making an appointment with the doctor at this point? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: exertion headache?

wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3TPLt5mkY

Basically,

don't crane your head during exercises

loosen up suboccipitals with soft tissue/massage type work
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Matt Motley

Profile:

Thanks Steven. I've seen that video and have been icing, stretching, and hydrating. My concern though is the duration of the headache. I'm leaning towards assuming this is just an exertion headache because last week I could really feel my traps getting tight along with upper back, but shouldn't the headache be gone by now?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Matt Motley

Profile:

I am aware exertion headaches have been discussed before, I just haven't really found anyone discussing how long the headache lasted before finally going away
Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Depends on the person, and if the tightness is extremely bad quality or joints are "stuck" because of the tightness.

I'd probably see a physical therapist if you are able to.

I'm don't quite recall what Starrett said in the vid but you definitely want to use heat to help loosen up muscles because ice will make them tighter prolonging your headache. So that may be an issue
Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Chris DeCarlo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Motley View Post
Thanks Steven. I've seen that video and have been icing, stretching, and hydrating. My concern though is the duration of the headache. I'm leaning towards assuming this is just an exertion headache because last week I could really feel my traps getting tight along with upper back, but shouldn't the headache be gone by now?
ice will slow down the healing process or make it worse...use heat and some massage..also look at your posture to why you are getting occipital base spasms...rounded shoulders or forward head posture are the most common reason..could be your head position during certain exercises also..stay neutral
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Matt Motley

Profile:

Chris, I have been trying to correct my posture the last few weeks. Trying keep my chest/chin up, shoulders back, etc. Maybe I was slightly tensing up my neck during all that. However, it all started during OH squats. I know my form is not the best with those as I am tight in the shoulders. I'll have to work on that. I feel I might have been cocking my head back,trying to compensate for tight upper back/shoulders. Doctor told me it was just a strained neck muscle and gave me a batch of some steroids, muscle relaxers, and advised not to lift for another week. Well see how it goes. Thanks for the tips Chris, I'll be hitting up mwods in my next week off, hopefully to loosen up some.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Motley View Post
Chris, I have been trying to correct my posture the last few weeks. Trying keep my chest/chin up, shoulders back, etc. Maybe I was slightly tensing up my neck during all that. However, it all started during OH squats. I know my form is not the best with those as I am tight in the shoulders. I'll have to work on that. I feel I might have been cocking my head back,trying to compensate for tight upper back/shoulders. Doctor told me it was just a strained neck muscle and gave me a batch of some steroids, muscle relaxers, and advised not to lift for another week. Well see how it goes. Thanks for the tips Chris, I'll be hitting up mwods in my next week off, hopefully to loosen up some.
What kind of doctor are you seeing?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
Matt Motley

Profile:

Haha, obviously I'm talking not talking about those kind of steroids! Just a small z pack for inflammation. Doc is a general physician/family doctor