CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Bradley James Thompson
Member Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 303
Physical Therapists

How do you find a good one? I've been all over the place, and have no idea how to go about finding a good PT. It seems like most just see you once for half an hour and then hand you off to some unqualified "trainers."

I worked with one one on one for a while, but that didn't help, but I need to find something similar with that one on one structure.

I can't just keep picking them at random and not getting anything out of it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Michael Travis
Member Michael Travis is offline
 
Michael Travis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 232
Re: Physical Therapists

If it is for an athletic related issue, I would recommend contacting a local university sports team and see if they can recommend anyone. Once you find one you want to try, just call their office and ask them how they conduct their therapeutic modalities, that way if it seems they will hand you off to a PTA or something you wont have to waste your time going to the clinic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Physical Therapists

Call local high school or university or professional sports team and ask who they use for the most part

That's what i keep saying over and over here

If that doesn't work, ask other serious athletes you know and see who they use and if they think they are good or not
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Bradley James Thompson
Member Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 303
Re: Physical Therapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Call local high school or university or professional sports team and ask who they use for the most part

That's what i keep saying over and over here

If that doesn't work, ask other serious athletes you know and see who they use and if they think they are good or not
That's a good idea. I haven't seen you suggest this, or maybe I haven't paid enough attention.

Unfortunately I don't know any people who are seriously athletic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
Karin Jonczak
Member Karin Jonczak is offline
 
Karin Jonczak's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakford  PA
Posts: 1,444
Re: Physical Therapists

I think it also is important to know why you are looking for a PTist...

In the long run (for me at least), common sense, some mWOD, and stretching PLUS strength (i.e. most CF) is the only PT that I have every found to work.

I do use some neuromuscular massage and Rolfing as well.

I do know some good Rolfers in VA, it maybe a start if you are interested.

Karin
__________________
The stopwatch is a useful tool, but it is also blind to the quality of the individual effort.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Douglas Scarborough
Member Douglas Scarborough is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 19
Re: Physical Therapists

I might be biased, but find someone who is a certified manual therapist by one of several groups around the US.(Matiland, Institute of Functional Art, University of St. Augustine, Mulligan, etc.) Or a certified orthopedic specialist (OCS) These folks have taken the time to continue their learning geared towards OP rehab. Also let them know that you expect to be seen only by one therapist for continuity.

Hope this helps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Bradley James Thompson
Member Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 303
Re: Physical Therapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Scarborough View Post
I might be biased, but find someone who is a certified manual therapist by one of several groups around the US.(Matiland, Institute of Functional Art, University of St. Augustine, Mulligan, etc.) Or a certified orthopedic specialist (OCS) These folks have taken the time to continue their learning geared towards OP rehab. Also let them know that you expect to be seen only by one therapist for continuity.

Hope this helps.
Fortunately I contacted someone who was certified by Maitland. They have since moved out of the area but recommended another person who is not certified by them, maybe by anyone but supposedly who has manual therapy background. So I'll probably try that first.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Douglas Scarborough
Member Douglas Scarborough is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 19
Thumbs up Re: Physical Therapists

Sounds like you are on the right track!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Bradley James Thompson
Member Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 303
Re: Physical Therapists

I had to go to a doctor to get a referral for this PT. Wow doctors don't know anything about anything related to PT. If there's not something broken they can open up and fix, or if you don't simply have arthritis, it seems like they're clueless, or maybe it's just surgeons. He recommended Alieve, and I commented that I never took it because I regarded it as a band-aid that doesn't actually fix the problem, though did hold back slightly by saying that it might not be fair to characterize it as such.

Anyway, this was disappointing. It's amazing how unhelpful doctors can be. I got the referral, but had to waste a lot of time to do so.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Sean Rockett
Member Sean Rockett is offline
 
Sean Rockett's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 547
Re: Physical Therapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
I had to go to a doctor to get a referral for this PT. Wow doctors don't know anything about anything related to PT. If there's not something broken they can open up and fix, or if you don't simply have arthritis, it seems like they're clueless, or maybe it's just surgeons. He recommended Alieve, and I commented that I never took it because I regarded it as a band-aid that doesn't actually fix the problem, though did hold back slightly by saying that it might not be fair to characterize it as such.

Anyway, this was disappointing. It's amazing how unhelpful doctors can be. I got the referral, but had to waste a lot of time to do so.
Brad you just bashed the whole world of doctors with one doctor visit. There are a lot of different types of doctors out there who know a lot about PT and other things too.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trainers and Licensed Physical Therapists Wanted Steve Baum In Search of CrossFitters 0 11-19-2010 08:52 AM
Please PT, Docs, Massage Therapists... ANYONE!! Jason Gardner Injuries 9 09-03-2009 06:53 PM
Calling on CF Physical Therapists Dustin Rodgers Health and Medical Issues 0 07-06-2009 07:14 PM
Physical Therapists!? Mac Oneill Injuries 19 03-25-2009 07:17 PM
Looking for crossfitting Physical Therapists Michael Campi In Search of CrossFitters 0 01-13-2009 08:15 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.