CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Patrick O'Keefe

Profile:
Logo Contests-Graphic Design

Thought I'd share this for anyone who is looking to change, update, or establish a logo for their box.

There are a bunch of websites out there that offer logo designing at which you name a price your willing to pay and graphic designers will "battle" to have their design chosen and get paid for their work. Basically, its a design contest and the winner gets the money you said you were willing to pay. The more money you put up, the more designers will compete and usually the better the design.

Some of the sites I found were:

Mycroburst, crowdspring, designcrowd and brandsupply Google them I forget if they were .com or .net

*Disclosure. I do not work for any of these websites nor have I had any work done by them.

It also looks like a lot of these people are from India and Russia. Not that I have anything against Russians or Indians. Just wanted to let you know.

Hope someone finds this useful
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Andrew Crowe

Profile:
Re: Logo Contests-Graphic Design

Hey, did you use this one of these sites? I've found http://www.crowdspring.com/ (FWS) and was going to give it a crack - interested in anyone who's actually used them sucessfully!

Andrew
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

There is a site called Neowin.net WFS they have a forum section where you can have people bid on graphics. You just put a price and idea and people start posting. Its not to shabby.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Rob Brown

Profile:

... arrr, the future is coming.

Yeah, I design too, so I cringe that 110 people enter to win your bid. Holy crap that's 109 poor bastiches that will work for free.. and with the site thats taking a cut too.

Your right, most are students, or other economies. The world is getting smaller =).

**edit Just saw a few of the attempts. Very few are good, I would find a logo you liked from someone and just go straight to them with a decent bid.

Last edited by Rob Brown : 02-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Eric McKinley

Profile:

My 2 cents... about all it's worth I'm sure. I tried 99designs. Put up what I thought were descent instructions (including no swoosh, no skulls... just not my thing). I did get a lot of submissions... a good number with skulls and swooshes. In the end I had one of my members help me out with a design and figured I'll find a designer in the area that I can consult with a bit more efficiently/effectively.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Patrick O'Keefe

Profile:

So now that I've gone through the process of getting affiliated and having my logo done and website that is still being worked on. I would say unless money is truly an issue, don't use those websites. I am going to give my designer a plug here, www.avantmg.com Kenia, the lead designer, has been super patient, has delivered exceptional results and is a one stop shop for everything. Her prices are super reasonable for the quality of her work she provides. I will post our site once its done, from the renderings, I can tell its going to be great.

She's done a bunch of other crossfit box's websites and design, IMO, you can't cheap out on your brand and marketing!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Jason Headings

Profile:

So here’s the deal gang. Say I want to get in the best shape of my life and come knocking on your door. But instead of paying you the monthly fee for your expert services, I say “Hold on coach. I’m not sure that I am going to like the results that I get from your training. So here is what I am going to do. I want to train with all of the different CrossFit boxes in the city, and after twelve months (if I like the results) I will choose the one I like the best. And oh, by the way. Only the box that I choose gets my hard earned cash… $200 sounds about right. Do we have a deal?” I thought so.

For quite a few designers just starting out (I was one of them once upon a time), these contests appear to be an opportuinty to gain a bit of cash and some experience. But in the excitement of the moment (like all lotteries) it is often forgotten that winning is not a sure thing. Which means that the designer is working for free. And the only thing worse than a potential client who does not value the efforts of a professional designer, is a designer who does not value their own time and work. Just my professional opinion.

If you want to learn more about how to create a CrossFit affiliate logo, check out my blog and free guide at:

headingsdesign.com